ADVERTISEMENT

SCOTUS Rules You Can Refuse Service to Same-Sex Couples

The message from the left: free speech sucks, unless we approve it.
As Sotomayor said in her dissent, "the law in question targets conduct, not speech, for regulation, and the act of discrimination has never constituted protected expression under the First Amendment."

Any business should have the right to refuse service to whomever they want. Just like customers have the right not to patronize their business. That’s how it is supposed to work but “feelings” too often get in the way.
Protected classes have always been excluded as a reason. If you open that pandora's box, where does it stop? Can a for profit university refuse to admit a lesbian because they are gay? What about an African American because they are black? What about a doctor's office? Should they be able to refuse to treat a muslim? What about a hospital? They are a for profit business. Where does that stop?

Protected classes exist for a reason.

Bros, every private business should be able to serve any client they want or refuse any they don’t want, it’s THEIR business not the govts. If they want to lose money fine and just as someone else pointed out clients can pick which business they want to patronize.

Also, if a business is like hey we don’t serve gays or Jews or blacks or whatever, GOOD! Put a sign out so I know NOT to go in there too and give them money.

Who gives a shit? And why do you want someone that doesn’t want to serve, serve you?

It’s like when you kick someone out of a bar and the dumbass won’t leave. Why does the dumbass want to stay somewhere he’s not wanted?

Quit being triggered by literally everything! Oh shit this store won’t bake me a cake!

If that’s the worst thing that happens to you or your biggest concern you’re doing better than 99% of the world with their problems.

Bros, every private business should be able to serve any client they want or refuse any they don’t want, it’s THEIR business not the govts. If they want to lose money fine and just as someone else pointed out clients can pick which business they want to patronize.

Also, if a business is like hey we don’t serve gays or Jews or blacks or whatever, GOOD! Put a sign out so I know NOT to go in there too and give them money.

Who gives a shit? And why do you want someone that doesn’t want to serve, serve you?

It’s like when you kick someone out of a bar and the dumbass won’t leave. Why does the dumbass want to stay somewhere he’s not wanted?

Quit being triggered by literally everything! Oh shit this store won’t bake me a cake!

If that’s the worst thing that happens to you or your biggest concern you’re doing better than 99% of the world with their problems.
So you are ok with a hospital (which most towns only have one) being able to refuse service to someone who is gay, black, jewish, or whatever? Hospitals are a for profit business.

Protected classes have always been excluded as a reason. If you open that pandora's box, where does it stop? Can a for profit university refuse to admit a lesbian because they are gay? What about an African American because they are black? What about a doctor's office? Should they be able to refuse to treat a muslim? What about a hospital? They are a for profit business. Where does that stop?

False. If they are govt subsidized then they can’t do that. If they are a private university or hospital (most aren’t, most all take govt money) then yes they can, it’s a PRIVATE business.

If you’re the Muslim the doctors office doesn’t want to take why do you want them to take care of you? I’d go to someone that wasn’t biased. See how easy and uncomplicated that is?

“[The Parties] have stipulated that Ms. Smith’s websites promise to contain ‘images, words, symbols, and other modes of expression.’ They have stipulated that every website will be her ‘original, customized ‘ creation. And they have stipulated that Ms. Smith will create these websites to communicate ideas — namely, to ‘celebrate and promote the couple’s wedding and unique love story’ and to ‘celebrat[e] and promot[e]’ what Ms. Smith understands to be a true marriage.”

- majority opinion

Any business should have the right to refuse service to whomever they want. Just like customers have the right not to patronize their business. That’s how it is supposed to work but “feelings” too often get in the way.

I agree with this 100%.

I also feel that the business that refuses service must be prepared for backlash, depending on circumstance. If a christian baker refuses to make a wedding cake for a gay couple, and social media pressure or boycotts drive the bakery out of business, so be it. Other businesses will gladly step in and take the market share.

Thank you, well stated, no, a restaurant cannot refuse to serve blacks or jews just because they don't like them, that is illegal as hell.

That being said, I think this was the correct decision by the Supreme Court, there is a difference when you are considering the rights of gay people vs. sincerely held religious beliefs. Rightly or wrongly, plenty of religious people believe that marriage is solely between a man and a woman and should not be compelled to participate in or promote a gay marriage, IMO.

Those examples aren’t private businesses. If that bakery chooses not to cater to same sex couples that is their right. People that believe that same sex couples aren’t an issue or have a moral issue with it may choose not shop there.

Now, if enough people who disagree with the shops standards stop shopping there then the owners have a decision to make. If their business doesn’t fall off or more people shop there due their policies then so be it.

It’s not up to government to tell me, as a business owner, who i can and can’t do commerce with. It’s my choice and I will either suffer the damage or reap the rewards.

False. If they are govt subsidized then they can’t do that. If they are a private university or hospital (most aren’t, most all take govt money) then yes they can, it’s a PRIVATE business.

If you’re the Muslim the doctors office doesn’t want to take why do you want them to take care of you? I’d go to someone that wasn’t biased. See how easy and uncomplicated that is?
Many towns don't have the options that larger cities do. I know many small towns that only have one clinic. There are protected classes for a reason.

Just wait until someone refuses to bake a cake for a jewish couple because they are Christian and uses this as an excuse. Even worse, when someone uses this to refuse to bake a cake for an interracial couple.
Poor Curtis. You had to take this one without any lube.

Since the Bible says nothing negative about Jews or interracial couples, you'd be wrong, as usual.

I bet the web designer does designs for divorced and remarried people.

Hope she goes out of business. She is a bigot.

I’m fine with the ruling as long as places that use public spaces aren’t allowed to discriminate.

Those hospitals are taking govt money so yea they have to.

And if you’re a business and you don’t want to serve someone you don’t say it’s because they’re whatever you just say you seem inebriated already or if you’re a cake store you say sorry we’re backed up til august or whatever.

If a business says we’re not serving you because you’re black well that person is a moron.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
The proud religious law-keepers said to Jesus, “Then why did the Law of Moses allow a man to divorce his wife if he put it down in writing and gave it to her?” 8 Jesus said to them, “Because of your hard hearts Moses allowed you to divorce your wives. It was not like that from the beginning. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sex sins, and marries another, is guilty of sex sins in marriage. Whoever marries her that is divorced is guilty of sex sins in marriage.”

Straight out of Jesus’ mouth (err supposedly).

You divorced people or people married to a divorced person should burn in hell.

The proud religious law-keepers said to Jesus, “Then why did the Law of Moses allow a man to divorce his wife if he put it down in writing and gave it to her?” 8 Jesus said to them, “Because of your hard hearts Moses allowed you to divorce your wives. It was not like that from the beginning. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sex sins, and marries another, is guilty of sex sins in marriage. Whoever marries her that is divorced is guilty of sex sins in marriage.”

You are missing the forgiveness and salvation message of Jesus. Kind of a key part, most would think.

• Haha
Reactions: Stan the caddy
Nope.

Those are Jesus’ pretty clear words on divorce

Let me guess, you’ve been divorced so it doesn’t apply to you.

Reactions: Catemus

“Hi, I’m August West, nice to meet ya. Welcome to hell, coffee is served at 8”. What a crock of 💩.

Poor Curtis. You had to take this one without any lube.

Since the Bible says nothing negative about Jews or interracial couples, you'd be wrong, as usual.
Except this ruling opens the door to deny service for any held discriminatory belief. It can be applied to non religious beliefs as well. A Christian can argue that their beliefs go against Jewish beliefs so they shouldn't have to do bake a cake, make a website, or whatever for a Jewish couple.

No they follow the rule of law and the Constitution…. Sotomayor and her ilk decide the desired outcome beforehand and then use whatever tortuous logic is necessary to justify the decision. Nice try tho
As does Sotomayor... Just because you like the way the 6 intepretation of the constitution but not Sotomayor doesn't mean they do things any differently. Again, we can do this all day. Nice try tho

The best part is that it will equally fair when it works the other way. If a gay baker refuses to bake a cake for a baptist preacher because of the church’s views on homosexuality, that’ll be OK too.
Will it though? Do you think SCOTUS would actually rule in favor of that baker?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT