ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Drew talks Mark Pope and Kentucky

Catswin9

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2015
In Kyle Tucker's latest article at The Athletic, he speaks with the Baylor coach:

"That was very hard because Mitch is one of the great people in this profession that I got to know in the (2021 NCAA Tournament) bubble and someone I greatly respect, but Baylor is home,” Drew said Saturday. Kentucky is home for Pope, so maybe it worked out best for everyone involved, Drew figures. “The good thing is, I can cheer for him now that he’s not in our league. Everyone in college basketball knows offensively, Coach Pope’s stuff is tremendously hard to guard and he’s on the cutting edge in that realm. But he also understands the importance of defense in winning, and his teams are very physical, and that’s why they had so much success this year in the Big 12. I’m happy for him and Kentucky, because I think they hired a really good coach and a very high-character man.”

Also, Jasper Johnson talks about Pope's recruiting plan:

“Kentucky has always been a school I look up to,” Johnson said. “I know they’ve been busy building their roster, but now that the portal is over, they’re thinking more about recruiting and I’ve been learning more about Coach Pope. His offense is really good for guards, the way they shoot 3s and they’re really creative, and he’s telling me I’m one of the few high school players he wants. He doesn’t want to sign as many high school guys as they have in the past, because you need some older players, some portal guys, so him believing in me that way feels good.”

In Kyle Tucker's latest article at The Athletic, he speaks with the Baylor coach:

"That was very hard because Mitch is one of the great people in this profession that I got to know in the (2021 NCAA Tournament) bubble and someone I greatly respect, but Baylor is home,” Drew said Saturday. Kentucky is home for Pope, so maybe it worked out best for everyone involved, Drew figures. “The good thing is, I can cheer for him now that he’s not in our league. Everyone in college basketball knows offensively, Coach Pope’s stuff is tremendously hard to guard and he’s on the cutting edge in that realm. But he also understands the importance of defense in winning, and his teams are very physical, and that’s why they had so much success this year in the Big 12. I’m happy for him and Kentucky, because I think they hired a really good coach and a very high-character man.”

“Kentucky has always been a school I look up to,” Johnson said. “I know they’ve been busy building their roster, but now that the portal is over, they’re thinking more about recruiting and I’ve been learning more about Coach Pope. His offense is really good for guards, the way they shoot 3s and they’re really creative, and he’s telling me I’m one of the few high school players he wants. He doesn’t want to sign as many high school guys as they have in the past, because you need some older players, some portal guys, so him believing in me that way feels good.”
Love it. Elfff Oats and all the other flavors.

I think it worked out for the best for Kentucky, few coaches know what it takes to coach at Kentucky. Pope knows what it takes and what it means, the things Drew mentioned about Pope are very encouraging about his style of play and his approach to the game. As for Drew and Oats, they are probably better off where they are. I'm not convinced Oats can keep up what he's doing at Alabama, they have always had some of the best talent there and have been up and down with good coaches. I was never really an Oats fan especially after the way he handled the Miller situation.

The only guy that might have been a better pick early on would have been Hurley. He would have landed more immediate talent because of the recent success. Long term? I believe Pope understands it all much more and this upcoming season will impact whether there is success as the next few seasons occur. I am not sure why Drew was so high on the totem poll.

Interesting comments from JJ, pope will have to really narrow who he takes for high school. At UK they'll be a lot of really good players wanting to come, so he'll have to show some restraint. Kinda like taking your kid to the candy store, handing him 20 bucks, and telling him that is all he can spend.

Drew’s comments about how hard Pope’s offense is to guard is interesting the more I think about it. He was able to accomplish this with a fraction of the talent of some of the other teams in their conference.

Cal, on the other hand, got so used to having talent that he took the whole offensive system for granted. It was his downfall. I’m giddy to see what Pope’s offense can do with Kentucky level talent.

Awesome post, thank you. I think Drew made the right decision (really doesn't matter what I think about it) and it worked out great for us. I also love what Jasper had to say. Pope gets it.

Couldn’t you post (really doesn’t matter what I think) for every post?

Couldn’t everyone? This board is mostly “what i think” with a little trills thrown in and the very rare actual scoop.

Curious why this is the time to add the label (what I think) now.

Interesting comments from JJ, pope will have to really narrow who he takes for high school. At UK they'll be a lot of really good players wanting to come, so he'll have to show some restraint. Kinda like taking your kid to the candy store, handing him 20 bucks, and telling him that is all he can spend.
It won't be like that. It wasn't before cal so why would it be now? If we get top talent it's because pope got them here

Nice .

Reactions: Catswin9
They weren't lined up for Tubby and BCG.

Couldn’t you post (really doesn’t matter what I think) for every post?

Couldn’t everyone? This board is mostly “what i think” with a little trills thrown in and the very rare actual scoop.

Curious why this is the time to add the label (what I think) now.
What are your thoughts on Pope?

What are your thoughts on Pope?

(Doesn’t matter what I think) buuuuutttt…

Worried initially. Did not know enough of him as a coach. Thrilled to have a former player as the head man tho, so wasn’t too worried.

Days later I was pumped. From his introduction as head man to digging in to how he runs his teams / past success at his previous stops SIGN ME UP.

I am all aboard.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Mostly off topic but it always bugs me hearing someone calling someone else "one of the great..." Like you almost got to "one of the greatest" but couldn't quite do it. It's like a side hug. Like a soccer camp award. Pshaw. Either compliment me or don't compliment me.

Reactions: Mossip

Johnson quote is awesome. 2-3 great freshmen and the rest is older dudes, that's the formula for success

Interesting that Pope is telling HS players that he’d rather have seasoned portal players.

Not sure that is what is happening. More like we are only taking a couple of high school kids and that makes you even more important because you have been selected. We need your talent and we will surround you with veterans to help you learn, grow, and win.

Well Cal’s offense didn’t require any prep from opponents. That will be a change.

What do you mean? Noone could guard the weave that took up the entire shot clock before passing to someone for a contested 3.

Awesome post, thank you. I think Drew made the right decision (really doesn't matter what I think about it) and it worked out great for us. I also love what Jasper had to say. Pope gets it.

Given what we know now, I really think if he accepted he might've went back after a very short time. This just wasn't his or his family's cup of tea.

How on earth Mitch didn't recognize that after years of grooming him to take over us anyone's guess.

Pope will be fine, we just have to give him some time. The cupboard was empty when he arrived.

He's one of the highest paid coaches with one of the best nil war chests. How much time should fans give him?

I don't believe any coach we were after could have built a better roster. Hell we took Baylor's recruiter.

Imo he did very well given the time frame but we missed on some guys we shouldn't. One was apparently an academic issue (which people in athletics and academics needs to fix) but we still have potential to land a difference maker.

Moving forward, imo ab3 was the best hire of the entire package. Pope had zero high level recruiting knowledge or relationships. Ab3 had those in spades. That was quite a pull.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Really, I’d take him in a heartbeat over Pope. We’d have a top 5 roster immediately and compete for the championship this year.
Thats BS. He didnt want UK in his life. We offered, he said no, give it up. The reason he stayed at Baylor is the same reason MP is at UK. Love for the program. And prediction that he can recruit better than Pope is pure speculation.

What do you mean? Noone could guard the weave that took up the entire shot clock before passing to someone for a contested 3.

Given what we know now, I really think if he accepted he might've went back after a very short time. This just wasn't his or his family's cup of tea.

How on earth Mitch didn't recognize that after years of grooming him to take over us anyone's guess.

He's one of the highest paid coaches with one of the best nil war chests. How much time should fans give him?

Imo he did very well given the time frame but we missed on some guys we shouldn't. One was apparently an academic issue (which people in athletics and academics needs to fix) but we still have potential to land a difference maker.

Moving forward, imo ab3 was the best hire of the entire package. Pope had zero high level recruiting knowledge or relationships. Ab3 had those in spades. That was quite a pull.
Not that it matters at this point, but just curious how Mitch was "grooming" another schools coach for years to take over our program.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
The intimate knowledge people have of complete strangers is shocking.

If only there was a way to know for sure. Like endless coverage of recruiting events, etc of which be never attended. Makes total sense considering he wasn't going to land those guys anyway.

It's also exactly why it was extremely wise to hire ab3 to cover those bases and put us in the game right away.

Not that it matters at this point, but just curious how Mitch was "grooming" another schools coach for years to take over our program.

Again....this is all out there on the interwebs. It was barely a secret Mitch tabbed him as next and all was good.

Then somehow he never took into account they might not want to move.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Really, I’d take him in a heartbeat over Pope. We’d have a top 5 roster immediately and compete for the championship this year.
I would too. Drew would have keep Kentucky level talent with some good coaching. We certainly would be better off next season.

If only there was a way to know for sure. Like endless coverage of recruiting events, etc of which be never attended. Makes total sense considering he wasn't going to land those guys anyway.

It's also exactly why it was extremely wise to hire ab3 to cover those bases and put us in the game right away.

Again....this is all out there on the interwebs. It was barely a secret Mitch tabbed him as next and all was good.

Then somehow he never took into account they might not want to move.
Blame Mitch all you want but to blame Mark Pope for accepting is crazy.

Blame Mitch all you want but to blame Mark Pope for accepting is crazy.
Some coaches might would have worked out better but seems to me those guys didn’t want to be here. We just have to hope that this coach is ready for the challenge and grows into the coach he needs to be.

The early returns are promising considering his assistant coach hires and replacing an entire roster quickly after all the top high school recruits except one were already locked up. I do hope he doesn’t overemphasize recruiting Kentucky boys going forward.

If only we had some ways of learning about things from afar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT