ADVERTISEMENT

Pope vs Drew

FtWorthCat

Senior
Aug 21, 2001
Ft. Worth, TX
Drew at Baylor since 2007: 425-191 (69.0%) - it isn't fair to include Drew's first three years when they were decimated by probation

Pope at BYU: 110-52 (67.9%) - I thought BYU would finish near the bottom of the Big 12 this year, and they went 10-8 same as KU.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
I was okay with Drew. Pope wasn’t even on my radar at all as a candidate. I flipped my 💩 when I saw the news break on Twitter Thursday night…

I was hasty and wrong in doing that. Pope makes more sense for us specifically. Tomorrow’s press conference isn’t a spectacle at all with Drew, but with Pope, I think we see just how much this ‘left-field’ hire has united the base.

Reactions: fbrent1972
Keep one thing in mind about KU, they lost their best player to injury. So it probably coat them a better record.

Keep one thing in mind about BYU, they suspended one of their best players for having pre marital sex with a girl he was engaged to be married to. Imagine dragging that anchor while recruiting.

Can’t be said enough. Pope just went 10-8 his first year in a killer conference with a team of college-aged guys that agreed to no sex, no alcohol and no caffeine. That HAS to be the biggest uphill recruiting battle in the country.

Drew at Baylor since 2007: 425-191 (69.0%) - it isn't fair to include Drew's first three years when they were decimated by probation

Pope at BYU: 110-52 (67.9%) - I thought BYU would finish near the bottom of the Big 12 this year, and they went 10-8 same as KU.
I'd rather have Drew because of what he could have brought with him.

But Pope is fascinating from an internal perspective. We've never had a job candidate this side of Joe B. Hall who came from within the program when it was time to hire a new coach.

If he does well here, he could be guy who stays here and keeps winning for the rest of his career, and we'd never have to be afraid of losing him to the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT