ADVERTISEMENT

Sacha Killeya-Jones

For starters, Roy is loyal to a fault and plays upperclassmen even when we have better freshman. Secondly, our system - especially the secondary break - is one that isn't mastered quickly. Guys typically need more time doing it before they're proficient. Lastly, we play a lot of guys. It just doesn't give guys the time to shine. You even saw that this year with your platoon.

Marcus Paige is a terrific player - one of the best guards in college when healthy. But he never was considered a sure-fire NBA player because of his size and the fact that he isn't a true PG. He's a combo guard and he's way too small to play the 2 and he doesn't have refined PG skills to be a big draw at the 1. He'll play pro ball because he's a smart and tough kid. But he's a late first round pick at best - always was.

Jackson, Pinson and Berry will all play in the NBA. Jackson is a borderline lottery pick if he plays as well as I think he can this season. Pinson and Berry are 1st rounders after their junior year.

Roy likes guys to stick around. It's just the way he's used to coaching.

"Roy likes guys to stick around. It's just the way he's used to coaching."

This is why Roy is too much like Tubby. He wont change with the times and always thinks about himself first before the player. Cal always puts the player first and lets them know when theyre ready for the NBA, even if it hurts his roster the following year. Roy is done. He is past his prime, way past it. But by all means, keep praising him and keep him around for all I care. UNC will continue to be mediocre as long as Williams is coaching there.

Guys like Joel Berry, Theo Pinson, and Justin Jackson are nice players, but it would have been idiotic for any of them to be 1-and-done. You may try and spin it like Roy is doing kids a disservice by telling them they should stick around, but players of that caliber are actually much better off staying in school as opposed to being 1-and-done. Berry, Pinson, and Justin Jackson aren't like a Brandan Wright, who was 1-and-done at UNC. Wright was simply a better talent than the guys UNC has landed recently, it's not like Roy "isn't developing" his players.

Idiotic? Berry was rated 27th, Pinson was rated 17th, and Jackson was rated 11th coming out of high school. Players rated that high have jumped before. Heck, Booker was rated 29th and was a lottery pick.

I think SKJ will surprise and spurn the home school. All Cal has to do is point at the progression of WCS vs. the progression of Kennedy Meeks and Brice Johnson. WCS ended up being an All-American and lottery pick despite playing only around 25 mpg whereas Merks and Johnson will probably go undrafted.

At the end of the day, these kids want the safest route to the NBA and absurd wealth, and UK offers that.

What is most interesting is that UK has a lot of offers out to bigs in 2016. A couple of these guys need to get on the bus quick.

After this last recruiting year I don't believe just pointing will get it. We all know that being close to home can be a real benefit to some recruits.

Reactions: buckkiller
If you think UNC has landed the same level of talent as Kentucky has since 2010, then I don't really know what to tell you. It's not even remotely close. Kentucky has recruited at a ridiculous level since 2010. By UNC's standards, their recruiting has dipped over the past few years, largely due to the academic scandal. They've still landed good players, but literally none of them you look at and say "Oh yeah, that guy is a pro right now."

Guys like Joel Berry, Theo Pinson, and Justin Jackson are nice players, but it would have been idiotic for any of them to be 1-and-done. You may try and spin it like Roy is doing kids a disservice by telling them they should stick around, but players of that caliber are actually much better off staying in school as opposed to being 1-and-done. Berry, Pinson, and Justin Jackson aren't like a Brandan Wright, who was 1-and-done at UNC. Wright was simply a better talent than the guys UNC has landed recently, it's not like Roy "isn't developing" his players.

You are simply not being objective if you think UNC has landed anyone close to the level of a John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, or Anthony Davis in the last 5 or so years. Even Harrison Barnes, the best talent UNC has landed in the last 5 years, wasn't on the level of Wall, Cousins, or Davis. It wasn't like Harrison Barnes regressed because he chose UNC. He simply wasn't as great as most people made him out to be. Barnes isn't someone who's going to be a franchise NBA player like Davis or Cousins, and he was never going to be no matter where he went to school.

Some of these recruits need to actually gain some perspective and realize that it's not about how fast you get to the league, it's if you stick in the league. No one should celebrate Marquis Teague being 1-and-done for UK, because he's just going to fall into oblivion and never be heard from again. It's ridiculous that it's always celebrated if a kid gets drafted, regardless of the long-term implications. It's way better to tell a kid what he needs to hear (which in many cases is to return to school) than it is to tell a kid what he wants to hear simply because it might make you look like you "get guys drafted." Give me a freakin' break.

UNC still gets plenty of talent.

It's an excuse. The Big Four (UK, Duke, UNC, KU) pretty much get the most talent year in and year out.

Cal gets a little more because of turnover.

When you replace five top 10 players every year while your recruiting rivals only replace one or two, you will have more over a period of time.

So I don't buy that argument.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe Cal gets the most talent because he gets kids to the league and not the other way around? He has been coaching a lot longer than the six seasons at UK.

Is it like academics with Duke? Is Duke considered a great academic school because they get the best and the brightest or do they get the best and the brightest because they have great academics?

I want my son to be the best and the brightest in school so he can go to a school like Duke (I'd prefer Harvard or Yale, of course) to get him ready to be successful once he gets out of school.

But I guess you can twist it around however you want to try to make your point.

I guess we agree to disagree. You want to discredit Cal for his accomplishments while singing the praises of your own coach. Go ahead.

UNC still gets plenty of talent.

It's an excuse. The Big Four (UK, Duke, UNC, KU) pretty much get the most talent year in and year out.

Cal gets a little more because of turnover.

When you replace five top 10 players every year while your recruiting rivals only replace one or two, you will have more over a period of time.

So I don't buy that argument.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe Cal gets the most talent because he gets kids to the league and not the other way around? He has been coaching a lot longer than the six seasons at UK.

Is it like academics with Duke? Is Duke considered a great academic school because they get the best and the brightest or do they get the best and the brightest because they have great academics?

I want my son to be the best and the brightest in school so he can go to a school like Duke (I'd prefer Harvard or Yale, of course) to get him ready to be successful once he gets out of school.

But I guess you can twist it around however you want to try to make your point.

I guess we agree to disagree. You want to discredit Cal for his accomplishments while singing the praises of your own coach. Go ahead.

I'm assuming your post was directed to Nick Horvath because you quoted him. But I'm confused...is he a Carolina fan posing as a duke fan? That would be hard to believe. Who would ever want to pretend to be a duke fan?

Idiotic? Berry was rated 27th, Pinson was rated 17th, and Jackson was rated 11th coming out of high school. Players rated that high have jumped before. Heck, Booker was rated 29th and was a lottery pick.

But Booker would have been a lottery pick no matter where he went. You can't give Cal any credit for Booker, he was a pro before he stepped foot on campus.

Cal doesn't develop talent, he just rents it.

Didn't you get the memo?

But Booker would have been a lottery pick no matter where he went. You can't give Cal any credit for Booker, he was a pro before he stepped foot on campus.

Cal doesn't develop talent, he just rents it.

Didn't you get the memo?

I don't know who you are sarcastically attributing those comments to but I hope it's not me. I never said Cal doesn't develop any players. I questioned how much any coach develops their talent and stated that the majority of players that make it to the NBA have themselves to thank more so than any college coach. I also acknowledged that Cal, along with most other coaches, play a large role in developing their players mentally and emotionally. I did indeed make a statement about certain talents like AD, Wall and Cousins being able to be top 5 draft picks had they attended pretty much any school. But that wasn't a slight towards Cal. It was more a compliment of those players' talent level.

I don't know who you are sarcastically attributing those comments to but I hope it's not me. I never said Cal doesn't develop any players. I questioned how much any coach develops their talent and stated that the majority of players that make it to the NBA have themselves to thank more so than any college coach. I also acknowledged that Cal, along with most other coaches, play a large role in developing their players mentally and emotionally. I did indeed make a statement about certain talents like AD, Wall and Cousins being able to be top 5 draft picks had they attended pretty much any school. But that wasn't a slight towards Cal. It was more a compliment of those players' talent level.
That was the consensus on Harrison Barnes too when arrived at UNC but his draft stock dropped after his 2 years there. Were the recruiting analysts and the draft experts wrong about Barnes or did he not develop under Roy the way they expected?

No one can develop talent as good as Cal period! FACT! If WCS was at UNCHEAT he would be going into his senior season at UNCHEAT Thats a fact lil baby blue boys and gals.

As far as Cal's recruiting "failures", first of all, the jury is still out on Poythress. I think he'll still end up a first-rounder.

The Harrison Twins have probably been his biggest "failure", but seriously, sometimes guys are just over-rated, like Wayne Blackshear or Wayne Selden. does anyone truly think there is another school out there that could have done better by the twins? Cal gave them ever chance to shine and was loyal to them to a fault.

One thing I can guarantee you is that Cal will never have a Cliff Alexander. if Cal signs a guy, he's going to play him and give him a chance to succeed. Alexander spent half the season on the bench in Self's doghouse. I think Cliff is a talent and will eventually make a roster, but Self's little mind games cost him millions that he'll never get back.

Reactions: buckkiller
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT