ADVERTISEMENT

Sacha Killeya-Jones

I just shake my head at those guys you mentioned. Weren't they all McD's AA's or close to that?

I don't really think those guys strengthen your argument.

Your own guy bcsrulz said the following:
"And you guys act like every top 10 player is guaranteed to get drafted in the lottery..."

I happen to agree. Just because they were ahead of their peers in high school doesn't mean they are sure-fire NBA material. Plenty of highly ranked guys never make it in the NBA. So it actually strengthens my point that it's not rankings, it's not the school, it's not the coach - players make it to the NBA when they have talent, want to be successful and have the intestinal fortitude and work ethic to get there.

Also, Booker and Patterson were McDonald's AAs. Miller was Kentucky Mr. Basketball and Bledsoe was a top 25 player his senior year.

Roy develops NBA role players and Cal develops NBA superstars!

Or maybe more appropriately stated, Roy has NBA role players that play their college ball at UNC. Cal has NBA stars that play their college ball at UK. I happen to think that if Roy was more successful recruiting top 5 high school players, he'd get to claim some credit for their NBA stardom.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from Cal. I simply don't buy that a college coach "develops" mega talents as much as that's just the make up of those players. Are you really arguing that Cal is able to develop the Anthony Davises or John Walls of the world in just 10 months? That would be amazing.

Tony Bennett managed to get an early commit by convincing him schools like UNC and UK were never going to offer. When SKJ figured out that was bogus as he started to climb the rankings, he Decommitted.

He is not only a Chapel Hill native. His mother works at UNC. As you would expect, since he is home for the summer, he has been on campus at UNC quite frequently. He played pickup with the UNC team 3 times last week.

It is currently shaping up to be a UNC vs UK battle. Don't expect UVA to be seriously considered this time around.

Best way to tell if UNC give his mother a big jump in her income or send her packing .

Or maybe more appropriately stated, Roy has NBA role players that play their college ball at UNC. Cal has NBA stars that play their college ball at UK. I happen to think that if Roy was more successful recruiting top 5 high school players, he'd get to claim some credit for their NBA stardom.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from Cal. I simply don't buy that a college coach "develops" mega talents as much as that's just the make up of those players. Are you really arguing that Cal is able to develop the Anthony Davises or John Walls of the world in just 10 months? That would be amazing.

Player development is more than just on the court skill. Player development is also the mental and social aspects that come with playing professional basketball. UK players say "Playing for UK really developed me for the NBA..." or something to the effect constantly. Do you think they are just saying that to be nice?

Cal definitely has a hand in on court development as well. Take KAT for example. KAT was a stretch 4 coming out of high school. Go back and watch any tape/highlights of him and he spent most of his time on the perimeter. Cal brought him in and placed him on the post for the entire year, I probably saw KAT shoot 5-10 jump shots. KAT was projected as a top 5 pick coming out of high school. Come to UK and becomes the number 1 pick. How can you say that Cal doesn't at least have a little bit of a hand in player development. If nothing else he gives these players the polish that need to ascend to that next level of superstardom.

UNC gets about the same level of recruits as UK.

Jackson, Pinson, and Berry were studs coming out of HS, and now they are good Sophs.

Why did they stay in school? Academics? LOL!

Marcus Paige was one of the best PG's in his class.

How come Williams doesn't get them drafted after one year when Cal does?

Give it up.

Jackson, Pinson, and Berry were studs coming out of HS, and now they are good Sophs.

Give it up.

Tell us where Paige was ranked coming out his senior year.

Does Cal also get credit for developing the twins, or Poythress, or Lee, or Dakari or....? Why should we only talk about the top 10 recriuts that live up to expectations and not the ones that fall very short?

Does Cal also get credit for developing the twins, or Poythress, or Lee, or Dakari or....? Why should we only talk about the top 10 recriuts that live up to expectations and not the ones that fall very short?

Cal's track record with top 10 talent is better than Williams'.

I can't blame you for defending your coach, but I will stand by my original statement.

You can argue to the cows come home, but in the end Cal is better at getting kids to the NBA and getting them there quicker and keeping them there longer.

Believe what you want.

Give it up.

For starters, Roy is loyal to a fault and plays upperclassmen even when we have better freshman. Secondly, our system - especially the secondary break - is one that isn't mastered quickly. Guys typically need more time doing it before they're proficient. Lastly, we play a lot of guys. It just doesn't give guys the time to shine. You even saw that this year with your platoon.

Marcus Paige is a terrific player - one of the best guards in college when healthy. But he never was considered a sure-fire NBA player because of his size and the fact that he isn't a true PG. He's a combo guard and he's way too small to play the 2 and he doesn't have refined PG skills to be a big draw at the 1. He'll play pro ball because he's a smart and tough kid. But he's a late first round pick at best - always was.

Jackson, Pinson and Berry will all play in the NBA. Jackson is a borderline lottery pick if he plays as well as I think he can this season. Pinson and Berry are 1st rounders after their junior year.

Roy likes guys to stick around. It's just the way he's used to coaching.

Willie Cauley-Stein is a ridiculously athletic 7-footer. If someone that tall and that athletic can walk and chew gum at the same time, they're gonna be a lottery pick. Despite what some of you UK fans think, Cauley-Stein still isn't even remotely close to a polished offensive player. He simply got more comfortable at the college level over his 3 years. And Cauley-Stein was extremely smart to stay for 3 years, I think it made him millions in the long run. But let's not pretend like he developed into any kind of offensive threat, because he didn't. And he won't be in the NBA either.

Brice Johnson and Kennedy Meeks are both 6'9 bigs with limited athleticism (especially in Meeks' case) compared to the legit 7-footer Cauley-Stein. Why would anyone expect either one of Johnson or Meeks to be lottery picks, or even 1st round locks for that matter? That's simply not in the cards for those types of players. They are both really good college players that aren't the greatest pro prospects. There's nothing wrong with that. It's not like if WCS had gone to UNC he would have gone undrafted and Calipari would have turned Johnson and Meeks into lottery picks. Each of those 3 players would have turned out exactly the same had they switched places.

It is hilarious how you UK fans rationalize what you want to believe.
Did Roy not know Willie could chew gum? Why else would he not offer him a scholarship? You are right though, he's not an accomplished offensive player but he improved at both ends of the floor in his 3 years. The 2013 draft was the weakest 1 in a long time and it's doubtful Willie would have been a lottery pick. He developed well enough to be the #6 pick this year in a much stronger draft.

If you think Brice Johnson isn't an elite athlete, it's you rationalizing what you want to believe. Roy hasn't been able to develop Johnson the way Cal has developed Willie so you might be right about Johnson's draft prospects but it's not because he lacks athleticism, it's because Roy has done a poor job of developing his skills.

Last edited:
For starters, Roy is loyal to a fault and plays upperclassmen even when we have better freshman. Secondly, our system - especially the secondary break - is one that isn't mastered quickly. Guys typically need more time doing it before they're proficient. Lastly, we play a lot of guys. It just doesn't give guys the time to shine. You even saw that this year with your platoon.

Marcus Paige is a terrific player - one of the best guards in college when healthy. But he never was considered a sure-fire NBA player because of his size and the fact that he isn't a true PG. He's a combo guard and he's way too small to play the 2 and he doesn't have refined PG skills to be a big draw at the 1. He'll play pro ball because he's a smart and tough kid. But he's a late first round pick at best - always was.

Jackson, Pinson and Berry will all play in the NBA. Jackson is a borderline lottery pick if he plays as well as I think he can this season. Pinson and Berry are 1st rounders after their junior year.

Roy likes guys to stick around. It's just the way he's used to coaching.

Coach Speak.

Try this one:

Cal tailors his system each year to fit the players he has to maximize their NBA stock.

Cal is all about getting them to the league, not just using them to win for his and the school's benefit.

Brice Johnson will be a first rounder next June. Meeks will probably be a second rounder after his senior year. Not bad for two guys that were ranked in the 30s and 50s respectively. If I recall correctly, Cauley-Stein was ranked in the 40s by most services so it's not like he was a nobody that became a somebody. And regarding "development", no offense to Willie, but he's kind of the same player leaving as he was coming - an athletic rim protector and finisher. It's not like he really developed a solid low post game. I think Coaches get far too much credit for what players do or don't do. Of course Cal helped him grow up and become a mature basketball player. But I'm not sure he did anything for his skill set and I don't think any coach would have done much more or less with Willie's skill set. He is the player he is.

Back to SKJ, I feel good about the Heels' chances of landing him. Of course we'll battle UK for him but with all of his familiarity with Chapel Hill and UNC, we have a leg up. And we need some advantages right now.

Willie has a skill set that he didn't show at UK, too many that needed to show their skillset for any of them to show everything.

Berry will all play in the NBA. Jackson is a borderline lottery pick if he plays as well as I think he can this season. Pinson and Berry are 1st rounders after their junior year.

BS. There is nothing about Berry that says future 1st round pick.

As you have proven throughout this thread, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. You're awful.

Coach Speak.

Try this one:

Cal tailors his system each year to fit the players he has to maximize their NBA stock.

Cal is all about getting them to the league, not just using them to win for his and the school's benefit.

I don't disagree with that in the slightest. I think you are absolutely correct. Our fans bemoan the fact that Roy is who he is. He's not changing his style to fit personnel. He's not changing for anyone. Roy is as stubborn as they come. He'll win big doing it his way and he'll fall on his face sometimes doing it his way. I've come to live with that.

As far as "doing it for the players and not the school's benefit", you and I will disagree here. That's nice Cal does it that way. It's yielded good results thus far. But let's remember who pays Cal. It's not the players. It's the school. So if there ever comes a time when Cal's "doing it for the players" gets in the way of UK winning basketball games, the school will remind him who pays his salary. I have no problem with Roy attempting to win games. If that doesn't necessarily match up well with some players' individual plans, then they shouldn't come to Carolina. Roy is paid by UNCCH. He is beholding to UNCCH. He is not beholding to the players. As long as he isn't misleading the players and they know exactly what they're getting into joining our program, I prefer Roy to use a style that benefits the school, not individual players. And if you've watched any basketball like these recruits most certainly have, then you know how Roy does it. So there should be no misunderstandings.

BS. There is nothing about Berry that says future 1st round pick.

As you have proven throughout this thread, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. You're awful.
Well he is a UNC fan so....

Did Roy not know Willie could chew gum? Why else would he not offer him a scholarship? You are right though, he's not an accomplished offensive player but he improved at both ends of the floor in his 3 years. The 2013 draft was the weakest 1 in a long time and it's doubtful Willie would have been a lottery pick. He developed well enough to be the #6 pick this year in a much stronger draft.

If you think Brice Johnson isn't an elite athlete, it's you rationalizing what you want to believe. Roy hasn't been able to develop Johnson the way Cal has developed Willie so you might be right about Johnson's draft prospects but it's not because he lacks athleticism, it's because Roy has done a poor job of developing his skills.

Johnson has developed - easily as much as you claim WCS has. Brice came in as a shotblocker and finisher and pretty raw in everything else. He has developed a very nice jumper out to 17 feet. And his jump hook has developed tremendously. He has really polished his offensive game. He's learned how to pass out of the double team and just last year made a big jump in his rebounding capabilities. He still struggles defensively but I'm hoping that he will finally grasp our defensive principles in this, his final year. If he does, he's easily a first round pick. If not, he's a borderline first round pick. But make no mistake, Brice has come a loooong way.

As far as Brice's athleticism, I don't know if I'd call him "elite". He's a very good athlete but he might not have the strength or the frame to get strong enough to be considered "elite".

I'm sorry, Dick. It's just I'm disgusted by people who claim to be basketball fans who obviously don't know what the hell they're talking about. It pisses me off that I have to share a board with someone like you.

I'm sorry, Dick. It's just I'm disgusted by people who claim to be basketball fans who obviously don't know what the hell they're talking about. It pisses me off that I have to share a board with someone like you.

Translation:
I'm attempting to back out of a comment I made and save face at the same time after having been called out by a visitor.

My response:
That's cool. I'll let you off the hook.

Johnson has developed - easily as much as you claim WCS has. Brice came in as a shotblocker and finisher and pretty raw in everything else. He has developed a very nice jumper out to 17 feet. And his jump hook has developed tremendously. He has really polished his offensive game. He's learned how to pass out of the double team and just last year made a big jump in his rebounding capabilities. He still struggles defensively but I'm hoping that he will finally grasp our defensive principles in this, his final year. If he does, he's easily a first round pick. If not, he's a borderline first round pick. But make no mistake, Brice has come a loooong way.

As far as Brice's athleticism, I don't know if I'd call him "elite". He's a very good athlete but he might not have the strength or the frame to get strong enough to be considered "elite".
If that's true then Johnson should easily be a top 10 pick in next year's draft. I checked 2 recruiting lists and 1 had WCS at 34 and Johnson at 35 and the other 1 had Willie at 40 and Johnson at 49 so they were considered similar prospects talent-wise and you say Johnson is the better offensive player right now.

The weaknesses you mention for Johnson are his physical strength and his defense. If you are correct then Roy and his staff haven't done a very good job in his development. Every school has a s&c coach and Johnson's strength should have improved a great deal in the past 3 years. Most kids are weak defensively when they get to college and need coaching to improve. Cal consistently has top 5 defensive teams with freshman and sophomore rosters so surely you would expect Roy to be able to develop Johnson into a decent defender in 4 years.

If that's true then Johnson should easily be a top 10 pick in next year's draft. I checked 2 recruiting lists and 1 had WCS at 34 and Johnson at 35 and the other 1 had Willie at 40 and Johnson at 49 so they were considered similar prospects talent-wise and you say Johnson is the better offensive player right now.

The weaknesses you mention for Johnson are his physical strength and his defense. If you are correct then Roy and his staff haven't done a very good job in his development. Every school has a s&c coach and Johnson's strength should have improved a great deal in the past 3 years. Most kids are weak defensively when they get to college and need coaching to improve. Cal consistently has top 5 defensive teams with freshman and sophomore rosters so surely you would expect Roy to be able to develop Johnson into a decent defender in 4 years.

He has improved his strength - tremendously. But he came to UNC as a 6'9", 190 lbs bean pole. I think he's probably around 220 now but at 6'9", that's still really slight. WCS has a much bigger frame that was capable of putting on weight. Plus, WCS was a high school football standout so he was accustom to the physical nature of sports. Brice was a track star so he was not accustom to that.

Just because WCS and Brice were ranked in the same neighborhood in high school does not at all mean that their outcomes should mirror one another. Not all classes are equal. Guys get drafted for many reasons as you know. And the word "potential" is always at the top of the list. WCS has a high ceiling because of his 7'0", strong frame. Brice's ceiling is not as high because of his slight frame. But to say that Roy didn't develop Brice at the rate in which Cal developed WCS all because of draft positioning is downright absurd. Because as I already stated, I don't believe coaches are all that responsible for the basketball development of all their players. You can lead a horse to water...

But I liked a comment I read from another poster. It spoke to the mental and emotional development in each player. That, I do indeed attribute to head coaches. That was a good point from whomever it was that made it.

On another note, I just wanted to say that aside from a few that have attacked me for no reason, I have enjoyed the discussion in this thread.

Translation:
I'm attempting to back out of a comment I made and save face at the same time after having been called out by a visitor.

My response:
That's cool. I'll let you off the hook.

I'll translate it for you- GET PUMPED. You're a moron.

He has improved his strength - tremendously. But he came to UNC as a 6'9", 190 lbs bean pole. I think he's probably around 220 now but at 6'9", that's still really slight. WCS has a much bigger frame that was capable of putting on weight. Plus, WCS was a high school football standout so he was accustom to the physical nature of sports. Brice was a track star so he was not accustom to that.

Just because WCS and Brice were ranked in the same neighborhood in high school does not at all mean that their outcomes should mirror one another. Not all classes are equal. Guys get drafted for many reasons as you know. And the word "potential" is always at the top of the list. WCS has a high ceiling because of his 7'0", strong frame. Brice's ceiling is not as high because of his slight frame. But to say that Roy didn't develop Brice at the rate in which Cal developed WCS all because of draft positioning is downright absurd. Because as I already stated, I don't believe coaches are all that responsible for the basketball development of all their players. You can lead a horse to water...

But I liked a comment I read from another poster. It spoke to the mental and emotional development in each player. That, I do indeed attribute to head coaches. That was a good point from whomever it was that made it.
I'll grant you that physical strength is not something that coaches can totally control but they are absolutely responsible for the defensive development of their players. If you are saying that Johnson doesn't have the motivation to be a good defensive player, that's on the coaches too. When kids come here they understand that they will be required to work hard and become better defensive players or they won't be playing. Maybe Roy should do a better job of getting that message across to kids when he is recruiting them.

In reference to your other post about the discussion in this thread, our mods run this board a little different than Mikie and Heelbent do yours. They don't ban people simply because they don't like what they have to say. I suspect that is the reason some of you are over here. You like to argue your points and there's no one left on THR to disagree with.

I'll grant you that physical strength is not something that coaches can totally control but they are absolutely responsible for the defensive development of their players. If you are saying that Johnson doesn't have the motivation to be a good defensive player, that's on the coaches too. When kids come here they understand that they will be required to work hard and become better defensive players or they won't be playing. Maybe Roy should do a better job of getting that message across to kids when he is recruiting them.

In reference to your other post about the discussion in this thread, our mods run this board a little different than Mikie and Heelbent do yours. They don't ban people simply because they don't like what they have to say. I suspect that is the reason some of you are over here. You like to argue your points and there's no one left on THR to disagree with.

Thank you for the civil discussion.

To your first point, I don't necessarily disagree with that. It is indeed on the staff to make sure our guys are getting the message and feel motivated to excel in whatever area the coaching staff is emphasizing. But the option is to either let Brice come along at his own speed or take minutes when he doesn't adhere to the staff's lessons. And that's what Roy has done - at least as much as he can. He's played Hicks more. He's played Meeks more. He's even played Joel James. He sent Jackson Simmons in to make a point. But he can only do so much given the fact that regardless of Brice is playing defense on any particular day, we're most likely a much better team with him on the floor. He's easily our best offensive frontcourt player. Roy wants to send a message but he also likes to win games. It's tough.

In regards to your second point, what you say about your administrators might be true. But I've not tested them with my posts over the last week. Even my back and forth with S&C and wcc31 has been pretty tame. But I applaud your mods for letting this board be what it is. As for my posting habits, I don't post much on other boards. I guess I'm kind of hot and cold. During the offseasons (no football, no basketball), I'll make my way around the rivals network. UK, duke, a few others. But during the seasons, I tend to stay at home because there's more activity. I guess you could say I'm here out of boredom. And you'd be right regarding our board. For the most part, we all agree. Our community is much smaller than yours. It's just nice to have some exchanges with different people with different perspectives. Mike and Jim are who they are. I like them both because they are Tar Heel brethren. In their defense, they've had to deal with a lot of flamers since our scandal began. That might explain their quick trigger fingers.

I'll translate it for you- GET PUMPED.

140207_2723958_Pumping_up_with_Hans_and_Franz_anvver_3.jpg

Go back and watch WCS as a Freshman.

Then watch him as a Junior.

If you can not see significant improvement on both ends of the floor, then there is no hope for you.

NBA scouts put their jobs on the line by telling their team to draft a certain player. Do you think these guys would keep drafting Cal's guys if they didn't think they were prepared for the pros?

Why draft KAT over Okafor (the consensus projected first pick in the 2015 draft since he was 11) if they didn't see significant improvement from KAT?

Cal moved him up by: 1. making him develop a post up game and 2. making him play defense.

And he did this in one season.

And Cal gets to the Final Four.

Don't tell me Cal gets more talent. UNC have never lacked for talent.

Cal is the best recruiter and the best at developing players for the NBA in a short time.

No one bats a .1000. But the scouts know which coaches produce the best pros and that is why they draft a lot of Cal's players.

To your first point, I don't necessarily disagree with that. It is indeed on the staff to make sure our guys are getting the message and feel motivated to excel in whatever area the coaching staff is emphasizing. But the option is to either let Brice come along at his own speed or take minutes when he doesn't adhere to the staff's lessons. And that's what Roy has done - at least as much as he can. He's played Hicks more. He's played Meeks more. He's even played Joel James. He sent Jackson Simmons in to make a point. But he can only do so much given the fact that regardless of Brice is playing defense on any particular day, we're most likely a much better team with him on the floor. He's easily our best offensive frontcourt player. Roy wants to send a message but he also likes to win games. It's tough.

In regards to your second point, what you say about your administrators might be true. But I've not tested them with my posts over the last week. Even my back and forth with S&C and wcc31 has been pretty tame. But I applaud your mods for letting this board be what it is. As for my posting habits, I don't post much on other boards. I guess I'm kind of hot and cold. During the offseasons (no football, no basketball), I'll make my way around the rivals network. UK, duke, a few others. But during the seasons, I tend to stay at home because there's more activity. I guess you could say I'm here out of boredom. And you'd be right regarding our board. For the most part, we all agree. Our community is much smaller than yours. It's just nice to have some exchanges with different people with different perspectives. Mike and Jim are who they are. I like them both because they are Tar Heel brethren. In their defense, they've had to deal with a lot of flamers since our scandal began. That might explain their quick trigger fingers.
I have been banned from THR without making a single post and others on this board have too. It's not about dealing with flamers, it's about controlling the message. If someone says something they change the post to some juvenile statements and ban the poster. When they make statements that turn out to be wrong they go back and delete their posts and pretend they never said when someone reminds them they were wrong. You will never have an honest discussion on your board. Those 2 won't allow anyone with an opposing view to hang around long enough. They remind me of a couple of children who think people are laughing at what they do, but posters from other boards are just laughing at them for their childish behavior. If you like the way they moderate your board you are no different than them.

If you like the way they moderate your board you are no different than them.

Oh c'mon...it is what it is. I don't care enough to do anything about. If that's how this board operated, then so be it. This is an internet message board, man. It's not congress. It's just not nearly as big of a deal as you and others are making it.

Don't tell me Cal gets more talent. UNC have never lacked for talent.

If you think UNC has landed the same level of talent as Kentucky has since 2010, then I don't really know what to tell you. It's not even remotely close. Kentucky has recruited at a ridiculous level since 2010. By UNC's standards, their recruiting has dipped over the past few years, largely due to the academic scandal. They've still landed good players, but literally none of them you look at and say "Oh yeah, that guy is a pro right now."

Guys like Joel Berry, Theo Pinson, and Justin Jackson are nice players, but it would have been idiotic for any of them to be 1-and-done. You may try and spin it like Roy is doing kids a disservice by telling them they should stick around, but players of that caliber are actually much better off staying in school as opposed to being 1-and-done. Berry, Pinson, and Justin Jackson aren't like a Brandan Wright, who was 1-and-done at UNC. Wright was simply a better talent than the guys UNC has landed recently, it's not like Roy "isn't developing" his players.

You are simply not being objective if you think UNC has landed anyone close to the level of a John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, or Anthony Davis in the last 5 or so years. Even Harrison Barnes, the best talent UNC has landed in the last 5 years, wasn't on the level of Wall, Cousins, or Davis. It wasn't like Harrison Barnes regressed because he chose UNC. He simply wasn't as great as most people made him out to be. Barnes isn't someone who's going to be a franchise NBA player like Davis or Cousins, and he was never going to be no matter where he went to school.

Some of these recruits need to actually gain some perspective and realize that it's not about how fast you get to the league, it's if you stick in the league. No one should celebrate Marquis Teague being 1-and-done for UK, because he's just going to fall into oblivion and never be heard from again. It's ridiculous that it's always celebrated if a kid gets drafted, regardless of the long-term implications. It's way better to tell a kid what he needs to hear (which in many cases is to return to school) than it is to tell a kid what he wants to hear simply because it might make you look like you "get guys drafted." Give me a freakin' break.

M

Maybe the twins were overrated ? Maybe he won those games with average college guards . Dakari will play a long time in the NBA.

they had quick fingers before the scandal
hellbent trolls ( and changes posts) more than all the trolls put together on your board
i hope you are not trying to defend his actions
rivals should remove him as a mod, he is the problem not the solution

GSD i am glad that your appear to have grown up some
i remember the cursing tirade you went on that got you banned from here
as long as you continue to be respectful, most of us will be respectful to you
you can have opposing views discussions on this board, something that is not allowed on your board

ADVERTISEMENT