ADVERTISEMENT

Roster comparison: 2016-2017?

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
Which Kentucky roster of recent years would you compare next year's team to?

I think the 2017 team, a 2-seed that got Rofereed on the way to a fluke last-second shot loss in the Elite Eight to eventual champion UNC-Cheats is the closest.

Not trying to match up position-by-position, but player by player, in three tiers:

1. Fr. DeAaron Fox -- Fr. Cason Wallace. Both Top 5 recruits about whom much was/is expected.
2. Fr. Malik Mony -- Fr. Chris Livingston. Top Ten recruits in strong classes. Again, much expected.
3. Fr. Bam Adebayo -- Sr. Oscar Tschiewbe. There were high expectations for Bam, which he mostly met. Oscar is returning NPOY.

4. So. Isaiah Briscoe - Sr. Sahvir Wheeler. Key players, both perhaps underrated. Wheeler has proven more.
5. F. Wenyen Gabriel - Jr. Jacob Toppin. Toppin has proven more and has much more potential.
6. Sr. Mychal Mulder - Jr. CJ Fredrick. Clear edge here, assuming Fredrick is healthy.

7. So. Isaac Humphries - Jr. Lance Ware. One would probably take Humphries as a back-up center, based on what they'd done heading into the season. I think Ware may surprise.
8. F. Sacha Killyea-Jones - So. Damion Collins. I love Collins' potential. Let's leave it at that.
9. Sr. Derek Willis - Sr. Antonio Reeves. This is an interesting comparison to me. Reeves is a real wildcard for 2022-23.
10. Sr. Dom Hawkins - So. Adou Thiero. Certainly this is a place where the 2017 team had better depth, unless Thiero is a pleasant surprise.

So, both teams went into the season with, essentially, ten-man rosters. Which one was more talented? Well, we know how Fox and Monk turned out. Wallace and Livingston are ranked about the same. But that's no guarantee. Bam was very good, but I think we tend to remember him at his best. He had freshman growing pains, for sure. We know what we have in Oscar. Beyond each team's three best players, I think an objective person would give an edge in talent and experience to 22-23. Of course, it goes without saying that injuries and other things will be factors.

2. Fr. Malik Mony -- Fr. Chris Livingston. Top Ten recruits in strong classes. Again, much expected.
I'll go with some comparisons but Livingston is no Monk. Monk averaged almost 20 ppg here, was the 3-point champ in the McDonalds game and co-MVP in the Jordan Classic. He's was an outrageous offensive weapon. Now if we had Sharpe I'd say he can be as good as Monk and maybe better.

The 2017 team was really the last dominant freshmen led team we had under Calipari...5 years ago. Do not get me wrong, we have had some other teams with its best players as freshmen but they did not have the overall team success of 2016-2017.

Calipari has went to more experienced rosters of late and the results have been mixed to say the least. This coming season's team has a chance to be very strong IMO and could win it all. They have to stay healthy, and have to have enough perimeter shooting, but otherwise I think D and interior offense/getting to the hoop should be strengths of the team. I think most people are so down on Calipari as a coach that they are just outright refusing to believe next year's team can accomplish anything.

Sometimes bad stories do take a turn and have a happy ending...Self hadn't won a title in 14 years and was overrated as hell and now he is considered the best coach active in the game (we can debate his lack of competition there by peers but my point stands). Virginia lost to a 16 seed in 2018 and then won it all in 2019...strange things sometimes happen.

It's a fair comparison, until you consider in hindsight what Fox/Monk/Bam did during that season. The odds of two frosh matching Fox and Monk is basically nil. But, I suppose you never know.

Reactions: STL_Cat
If Wallace and Livingston end up being nearly as good as Fox and Monk then this is a championship team. That's a massive "if" though.

Fox is one of the best college PG's we've ever had at UK and Monk was a great shooter capable of 30+ points at any given team. When a player is that much of a threat to score, he changes the game even when he's not scoring because defenses always have to account for him.

That being said the rest of the roster is probably better than the rest of the 17 roster. Oscar is a returning NPOY which is a huge advantage. Wheeler is a solid PG with a lot of experience. Certainly better than Briscoe imo. The rest is a toss up. Mulder is an NBA player and CJ hasn't played in a long time. Toppin is a better athlete than Gabriel but Gabriel was a better shooter. Hopkins and Willis both have an advantage in the sense that they had experience for UK and Cal. While Reeves is an experienced player, this is still a new team and a new system for him.

So for me it pretty much solely comes down to Wallace and Livingston. And then injuries of course.

Last edited:
Which Kentucky roster of recent years would you compare next year's team to?

I think the 2017 team, a 2-seed that got Rofereed on the way to a fluke last-second shot loss in the Elite Eight to eventual champion UNC-Cheats is the closest.

Not trying to match up position-by-position, but player by player, in three tiers:

1. Fr. DeAaron Fox -- Fr. Cason Wallace. Both Top 5 recruits about whom much was/is expected.
3. Fr. Bam Adebayo -- Sr. Oscar Tschiewbe. There were high expectations for Bam, which he mostly met. Oscar is returning NPOY.

4. So. Isaiah Briscoe - Sr. Sahvir Wheeler. Key players, both perhaps underrated. Wheeler has proven more.
5. F. Wenyen Gabriel - Jr. Jacob Toppin. Toppin has proven more and has much more potential.
6. Sr. Mychal Mulder - Jr. CJ Fredrick. Clear edge here, assuming Fredrick is healthy.

7. So. Isaac Humphries - Jr. Lance Ware. One would probably take Humphries as a back-up center, based on what they'd done heading into the season. I think Ware may surprise.
8. F. Sacha Killyea-Jones - So. Damion Collins. I love Collins' potential. Let's leave it at that.
9. Sr. Derek Willis - Sr. Antonio Reeves. This is an interesting comparison to me. Reeves is a real wildcard for 2022-23.
10. Sr. Dom Hawkins - So. Adou Thiero. Certainly this is a place where the 2017 team had better depth, unless Thiero is a pleasant surprise.

So, both teams went into the season with, essentially, ten-man rosters. Which one was more talented? Well, we know how Fox and Monk turned out. Wallace and Livingston are ranked about the same. But that's no guarantee. Bam was very good, but I think we tend to remember him at his best. He had freshman growing pains, for sure. We know what we have in Oscar. Beyond each team's three best players, I think an objective person would give an edge in talent and experience to 22-23. Of course, it goes without saying that injuries and other things will be factors.
Good grief....Fox, Monk and Bam would run circles sround this team...another joke of a post

I can actually see the similarities between the two teams. The 2017 team was very exciting To watch, I would love for this team to be as good as the 2017 team.
That 2017 was robbed by a striped bastard. That game was the title game and we were jobbed because everyone knew whomever won it, was going to be the champion.

We all saw it. Hell, members of the national media saw it and commented on it. I think even the NCAA saw it because after halftime the officiating was MUCH more even.

Point being, IF this team is like the 2017 team. We should be good. Let just hope there's not a February clunker where we lose by 20 and we all wonder yet again what's going to happen.

Reactions: RunninRichie

If you give me the first two picks in a draft of just those players listed, I take Fox and Oscar...in that order. Monk would be the third pick and BAM the 4th.

Fox was the difference maker on a team that should have won the championship that season.

If you give me the first two picks in a draft of just those players listed, I take Fox and Oscar...in that order. Monk would be the third pick and BAM the 4th.

Fox was the difference maker on a team that should have won the championship that season.

We should have. We all know why we didn’t.

Fox is probably the 2nd best guard of the Cal era. Amazing talent and speed.

Wheeler is a solid PG with a lot of experience. Certainly better than Briscoe imo.

I loved what Briscoe brought to that team. Obviously, he wasn't flashy and struggled to score. But, he was tough and thrived doing the dirty work. I love players like Briscoe..."whatever it takes to win" guys

Wheeler is completely different. He can change the game with speed. But, his limitations in the half court are hard to overcome. If he develops a floater or a jump-shot, my opinion of Wheeler changes.

I loved what Briscoe brought to that team. Obviously, he wasn't flashy and struggled to score. But, he was tough and thrived doing the dirty work. I love players like Briscoe..."whatever it takes to win" guys

Wheeler is completely different. He can change the game with speed. But, his limitations in the half court are hard to overcome. If he develops a floater or a jump-shot, my opinion of Wheeler changes.

Wheeler and Briscoe are a LOT alike. Neither could finish at the rim. I think Wheeler is a bit stronger than Briscoe. And definitely faster. But both have had head scratching turnovers.

I think Wheeler has more control than Briscoe did. But like Briscoe, he’s inconsistent with that.

It's a fair comparison, until you consider in hindsight what Fox/Monk/Bam did during that season. The odds of two frosh matching Fox and Monk is basically nil. But, I suppose you never know.
I think Wallace/Livingston will likely be a step down from Fox/Monk, but as great as Bam was, he had nowhere near the overall impact of Oscar either. But it’s all relative. Wallace won’t be as quick as Fox and Livingston won’t score like Monk. But there will be other things they do better.

It is kind of interesting. I hadn’t thought of it before but if I had to pick one UK team that this one resembles, I think I’d have to pick 2016-17.

I compare based on positions/roles on the team:

1. Fox >> Wheeler- neither can shoot, both are quick and like to get to the basket. Boils down to a 6’3 freak athlete that can’t shoot vs. 5’8 jitter bug that can’t shoot.

2. Monk = Wallace- on paper, both are top rated recruits.

3. Briscoe << Livingston- not sure how well Livingston shoots or defends, but I am banking on a 6’6 slasher over a 6’3 slasher at the 3 spot.

4. Willis = Toppin- totally different styles, but both effective. Willis was great on offense and struggled defensively while Toppin is quite the opposite.

5. Adebayo = Tshiebwe- both were forces on the boards and down low.

6. Hawkins > Fredrick- top backcourt reserve. Fredrick is the better shooter/offensive player, but I would give Hawkins the edge defensively. Also Fredrick is injury prone and Hawkins was not.

7. Mulder << Reeves- Reeves is a proven D-1 scorer. Mulder didn’t do much in college.

8. Gabriel = Collins- Gabriel was better offensively, I think Collins is better defensively.

9. Humphries > Ware- Humphries was a little bigger and a little better offensively.

10. Killeya-Jones = Thiero- SKJ was a non-factor that season. I expect about the same from Thiero.

That’s my take.

Last edited:
No Sharpe, skip the debacle, just add another contribute player, and wash hands. Could be very contending team. Just add the darn player already. Smh at these decisions by Cal.

21-22 is the OBVIOUS comparison.

Oscar = Oscar
Wheeler = Wheeler
Toppin = Toppin
Tyty = Wallace
Grady = Reeves
Mintz = Fredrick
Brooks = Collins
Add in Livingston to the rotation

And I don't think that is a bad thing, as long as the final game, or even final 3 weeks aren't the same, much of which was due to injuries. We had a top team finishing up February. And injuries (or hopefully LACK OF) will be a big factor in our success next year too, considering the limited depth, and Fredrick's history.

1. Fox >> Wheeler- neither can shoot, both are quick and like to get to the basket. Boils down to a 6’3 freak athlete that can’t shoot vs. 5’8 jitter bug that can’t shoot.

3. Briscoe << Livingston- not sure how well Livingston shoots or defends, but I am banking on a 6’6 slasher over a 6’3 slasher at the 3 spot.

4. Willis = Toppin- totally different styles, but both effective. Willis was great on offense and struggled defensively while Toppin is quite the opposite.

6. Hawkins > Fredrick- top backcourt reserve. Fredrick is the better shooter/offensive player, but I would give Hawkins the edge defensively. Also Fredrick is injury prone and Hawkins was not.

7. Mulder << Reeves- Reeves is a proven D-1 scorer. Mulder didn’t do much in college.

8. Gabriel > Collins- Gabriel was a little more experienced and proven as a Soph than Collins.

9. Humphries > Ware- Humphries was a little bigger and a little better offensively.

10. Killeya-Jones = Thiero- SKJ was a non-factor that season. I expect about the same from Thiero.

That’s my take.
Good post. To me the difference is Fox and Monk. Monk was killer and could 8-10 points in a blink and was a freak athlete. Fox was lightning quick and great finisher.

Those 2 alone would wreck this team imo. Wheeler couldn't guard Fox and Wallace would strugglet with Monk's athleticism.

Bam and Oscar would likely be a push.

Briscoe drove me crazy at times but he did get a triple double that year. Advantage Briscoe imo. Tough minded.

8. Gabriel > Collins- Gabriel was a little more experienced and proven as a Soph than Collins.

That’s my take.
Agreed on comparisons with Fox, Briscoe, and Toppin at this point (though think Toppin will end up being better), but disagree on Monk and Adebayo. As good as Wallace will be, hard to see him match Monk overall, who could just go nuclear on teams.

I'll take Tsiebwe over Adebayo at this point. As good as Adebayo was as a freshman, he was still raw, and not on level of Tsiebwe as a rebounder and not as consistent on offense.

As to bench, I'll take Frederick over Hawkins despite injuries. I think the difference in their defense is less than the difference in offense. Frederick can shoot at an elite level and is still a good defender from what I've read.

As a correction, Gabriel was only a freshmen that year, and I'll take Collins over him. Collins has a lot higher ceiling with his athleticism, and I think is a lot more fluid.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Wheeler and Briscoe are a LOT alike. Neither could finish at the rim. I think Wheeler is a bit stronger than Briscoe. And definitely faster. But both have had head scratching turnovers.

I think Wheeler has more control than Briscoe did. But like Briscoe, he’s inconsistent with that.
You are right...neither are or were great at finishing around the rim. That doesn't make them "a LOT alike".

For starters, Briscoe played at 6'3". Wheeler is listed at 5'9". Briscoe was a better defender and rebounder. Wheeler plays with speed. Briscoe played with his size and strength. Briscoe turned the ball over less (though admittedly he stepped on the baseline an insane number of times)...mainly because he wasn't asked to be the primary ball handler due to his lack of speed and average ball handling skills.

Briscoe did the dirty work under the basket that Fox and Monk would not and could not do. He and BAM were bruisers in the paint.

Agreed on comparisons with Fox, Briscoe, and Toppin at this point (though think Toppin will end up being better), but disagree on Monk and Adebayo. As good as Wallace will be, hard to see him match Monk overall, who could just go nuclear on teams.

I'll take Tsiebwe over Adebayo at this point. As good as Adebayo was as a freshman, he was still raw, and not on level of Tsiebwe as a rebounder and not as consistent on offense.

As to bench, I'll take Frederick over Hawkins despite injuries. I think the difference in their defense is less than the difference in offense. Frederick can shoot at an elite level and is still a good defender from what I've read.

As a correction, Gabriel was only a freshmen that year, and I'll take Collins over him. Collins has a lot higher ceiling with his athleticism, and I think is a lot more fluid.
You are right about Gabriel. He was a Freshman. I will edit.

As a comparison on minutes, if this team’s minutes ended up the same:

SG Wallace(Monk)- 32.1
SF Livingston(Briscoe)- 30.4
C Tshiebwe(Adebayo)- 30.1
PG Wheeler(Fox)- 29.6
PF Toppin(Willis)- 21.8
RG Reeves*(Hawkins)- 19.2
RF Collins(Gabriel)- 17.8
RG Fredrick*(Mulder)- 10.6
RF Ware(Humphries)- 8.3
BN Thiero(Killeya-Jones)- 6.4

*Moved Reeves and Fredrick (due to health concerns for Fredrick).

Just food for thought.

This reminds me more of the '19 team.

Wallace a better version of Hagans

Fredrick the shooter like Herro

Livingston like Keldon Johnson but I think Livingston is better as a HS prospect entering UK

Oscar being the PJ player despite different position.

Toppin the Travis vet role

Collins the EJ role but hopefully better

Reeves better than Baker hopefully

Ware the Richards bench backup

The outlier for this team is an experienced Wheeler who is better than FR Quickley or Quade Green.

Chose this group because they didn't rely on rim protection and Oscar is a good but not great shot blocker. This group is overall more athletic and if Fredrick/Reeves provide the shooting from deep will be comparable to how the '19 team shot from outside but has guy in Wallace who is a better finisher at rim then Hagans.

Last edited:
I'll buy a lot of this but I think Fredrick, Toppin and Collins are all three underrated in this analysis. I liked Hawkins and thought his contributions were overlooked. But I'll be shocked if Fredrick isn't a major upgrade as top backcourt reserve. And freshman Gabriel wasn't a big factor. I expect sophomore Collins will be. AS for Toppin, I would not be shocked, maybe just pleasantly surprised, if he became an all SEC level player.
Good post.

My only issue with Fredrick right now is his health. If he can put his injuries behind him, he will be a major contributor for us, but I fear he will continue to have to deal with leg issues and so I figure he will be in and out of the rotation a lot because of this.

Reeves gives us a similar type player that does not have the injury problems (as far as I know) that Fredrick does, so I think he might end up playing the top guard off the bench role, while Fredrick may play more sparingly to maybe avoid injury.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55

Wallace a better version of Hagans

Fredrick the shooter like Herro

Livingston like Keldon Johnson but I think Livingston is better as a HS prospect entering UK

Oscar being the PJ player despite different position.

Toppin the Travis vet role

Collins the EJ role but hopefully better

Reeves better than Baker hopefully

Ware the Richards bench backup

The outlier for this team is an experienced Wheeler who is better than FR Quickley or Quade Green.

Chose this group because they didn't rely on rim protection and Oscar is a good but not great shot blocker. This group is overall more athletic and if Fredrick/Reeves provide the shooting from deep will be comparable to how the '19 team shot from outside but has guy in Wallace who is a better finisher at rim then Hagans.
I agree. I don’t compare them like you do, I’m more of a position by position guy.

Here’s my take(included minutes played for ‘19):

SG Wallace(Herro)- 32.6- I like Wallace overall at this same point in their careers. Edge: ‘23

SF Livingston(Johnson)- 30.7- pretty similar. Edge: Push

PF Toppin(Washington)- 29.3- I like Washington better. Edge: ‘19

C Tshiebwe(Travis)- 28.5- Tshiebwe gets a sizeable edge here. Edge: ‘23

PG Wheeler(Hagans)- 28.5- similar players, Wheeler has more experience, but Hagans is bigger and a better defender. Edge: ‘19

RG Reeves(Quickley)- 18.5- Quickley was a typical Freshman, hoping Reeves is better. Edge: ‘23

RF Collins(Montgomery)- 15.1- Montgomery was average at best, hoping Collins will be much improved. Edge: ‘23

RF Ware(Richards)- 12.1- Richards was raw, but still better than Ware. Edge: ‘19

RG Fredrick(Baker)- 9.1- as long as Fredrick is healthy, he has the huge edge here. Edge: ‘23

Last edited:

Could very well be. That team was shaky at times but by seasons end could’ve played with anyone. Of course we will never know but….

I hope for everyone’s sake we come out strong to start. Will ease a lot of the uncertainties.

Cal needs to come out and have them play like world beaters.

“Cal what did you think of the team tonight”
“We kicked ass! And that’s what we’re going to do all year. Get out of our damn way.”

That’s the attitude he needs to have from here on.

Reactions: ganner918

SG Wallace(Monk)- 32.1
PG Wheeler(Fox)- 29.6
PF Toppin(Willis)- 21.8
RF Ware(Humphries)- 8.3

Just food for thought.
The major difference that puts 2017 ahead is

PG Wheeler(Fox)- 29.6

Before reading any of the replies, I am going to assume you’ve been torn to shreds trying to put Chris Livingston in the same universe as Malik Monk.

Before reading any of the replies, I am going to assume you’ve been torn to shreds trying to put Chris Livingston in the same universe as Malik Monk.
As should be the other way around when you compare Bam and Oscar, Oscar blows him out of the water in terms of college performance

How can people objectively go top to bottom and the roster and not at least see where he is coming from? It is not far fetched at all. The only difference is that lethal guard that can get buckets like Monk did, but if you compare further down the rosters and guys like Frederick, Wheeler, Reeves, Toppin, and Collins to Briscoe, Willis, Wenyan, and Mulder, and 2022 blows them out of the water.

Fox/Monk>Wallace/Livingston
Wheeler>Briscoe
Oscar>Bam Couldn't go wrong with either on this team but a returning NPOY gets the nod.
Toppin>Gabriel
Fredrick>Mulder
Jr Ware>Humphries
Collins>SKJ Even if Collins doesn't improve for some reason, it's a draw with the lack of production from SKJ
Willis/Hawkins>Reeves/Thiero. Can't underestimate the impact of 4 year players all at UK like those 2 and Dominique was really coming into his own down the stretch and a senior Willis was far more consistent. Reeves could be better but it's one of things we'll have to see once the season gets here.

Last edited:

SG Wallace(Monk)- 32.1
PG Wheeler(Fox)- 29.6
PF Toppin(Willis)- 21.8
RF Ware(Humphries)- 8.3

Just food for thought.
There should not be health concerns, was my understanding, if he had the corrective operation. Which he has. If we don't play a 47% shooter at least 20 min per game we will loose a lot of games. And we should. But we all know Cal can put a valuable player in the dog house, forget about him and succeed in turning a gifted shooter into throwing bricks. But I don't think he will do CJ like that though. Seems I remember last season, before CJ 's shutting it down, rumor was that Cal was very impressed with CJ.

Reactions: kelzer
I can see where a lot of comparisons come from, but I don't think the 22-23 team will have the speed, transition prowess, or offensive firepower that the 16-17 team had. Fox and those guys lived in transition, which basically defined that year. Next season won't feature guys who move as quick or shoot the ball as well overall. As someone else stated, I believe the 2019 squad is more comparable. But interesting post, OP, nonetheless.

Reactions: STL_Cat
That 2016-2017 team was the fastest, best scoring team in transition and on fast breaks of the Cal era. Yes, even more so than 2009-2010.

You can do all these player by player comparisons you want, this team won’t resemble that team simply on that fact alone.

I can see where a lot of comparisons come from, but I don't think the 22-23 team will have the speed, transition prowess, or offensive firepower that the 16-17 team had. Fox and those guys lived in transition, which basically defined that year. Next season won't feature guys who move as quick or shoot the ball as well overall. As someone else stated, I believe the 2019 squad is more comparable. But interesting post, OP, nonetheless.
I do think the 2018-2019 team is probably the most similarly constructed and will likely play a similar style as 2022-2023.

Reactions: ThunderMash
I still think the 02/03 team is most similar to these Oscar teams.

Year of Better player listed after:
Hawkins - Wheeler 23
Fitch - Reeves 03
Bogans - Wallace 03
Daniels - Livingston 03
Hayes - Toppin 03
Estill - Tshiebwe 23
Camara - Collins 23
Barbour - Fredrick 23

Daniels and Hayes don’t really compare well to the current guys, and Fredrick is gonna play more than Barbour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT