ADVERTISEMENT

Remember when Cal admitted he doesn't give a damn about Kentucky basketball?

CROCAT

Freshman
Nov 20, 2018
https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...-damn-about-winning-college-basketball-games/

“Man, it was great. I love Cal. I still talk to Cal to this day. He lets you rock,” Fox said. “That’s why he wants guards like John [Wall] and myself and [Brandon] Knight, Tyler Ulis. The way that he coaches, it’s like absolute freedom. He’ll put X’s and O’s but at the end of the day, everything’s going to end up in a pick and roll or isolation. That’s what the NBA is too.”

Fox’s team won games – 32 of them to be exact – but the former Wildcat feels that wasn’t Calipari’s focus during his short time with the program. In his eyes, the UK head coach builds his rosters with NBA talent and knows the wins will come as a result. The focus is on player development.

“When he’s able to get those guys, you find success,” Fox said. “Cal couldn’t give a damn about winning college basketball games. If he’s getting guys who he knows he can end up developing into NBA players, you’re automatically going to win 30 games a year just from that alone. That’s what I loved.

“You came in, you had to earn everything. He made you work. At the end of the day, I was a top-five pick, Bam (Adebayo) and Malik (Monk) were lottery picks. That’s all you can ask for. We lost in the Elite Eight, obviously we were mad as hell, but that wasn’t going to make me stay.”

As we’ve heard Calipari say time and time again throughout his time at Kentucky, Fox and the 2016-17 team’s other stars were told after the team’s heartbreaking loss to North Carolina in the Elite Eight that they would not be back the following year whether they wanted to return or not.
They had helped UK win games, made a deep run in the tournament, and established themselves as sure-fire lottery picks. Their time in Lexington was over.

“We lost on a buzzer-beater,” Fox said. “Cal brings us in about 20 minutes after, he said, “All of y’all are gone.” Brought us all in there, said, “You’re done, you’re not coming back. If you need us, you have our numbers, we’ll help you with whatever, but you’re not playing another college basketball game.
”‘

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...-damn-about-winning-college-basketball-games/

“Man, it was great. I love Cal. I still talk to Cal to this day. He lets you rock,” Fox said. “That’s why he wants guards like John [Wall] and myself and [Brandon] Knight, Tyler Ulis. The way that he coaches, it’s like absolute freedom. He’ll put X’s and O’s but at the end of the day, everything’s going to end up in a pick and roll or isolation. That’s what the NBA is too.”

Fox’s team won games – 32 of them to be exact – but the former Wildcat feels that wasn’t Calipari’s focus during his short time with the program. In his eyes, the UK head coach builds his rosters with NBA talent and knows the wins will come as a result. The focus is on player development.

“When he’s able to get those guys, you find success,” Fox said. “Cal couldn’t give a damn about winning college basketball games. If he’s getting guys who he knows he can end up developing into NBA players, you’re automatically going to win 30 games a year just from that alone. That’s what I loved.

“You came in, you had to earn everything. He made you work. At the end of the day, I was a top-five pick, Bam (Adebayo) and Malik (Monk) were lottery picks. That’s all you can ask for. We lost in the Elite Eight, obviously we were mad as hell, but that wasn’t going to make me stay.”

As we’ve heard Calipari say time and time again throughout his time at Kentucky, Fox and the 2016-17 team’s other stars were told after the team’s heartbreaking loss to North Carolina in the Elite Eight that they would not be back the following year whether they wanted to return or not.
They had helped UK win games, made a deep run in the tournament, and established themselves as sure-fire lottery picks. Their time in Lexington was over.

“We lost on a buzzer-beater,” Fox said. “Cal brings us in about 20 minutes after, he said, “All of y’all are gone.” Brought us all in there, said, “You’re done, you’re not coming back. If you need us, you have our numbers, we’ll help you with whatever, but you’re not playing another college basketball game.
”‘
And this man deserves a lifetime contract?

13 years later...still eating first...

aPSbcLT.png

“You’re done, you’re not coming back. If you need us, you have our numbers, we’ll help you with whatever, but you’re not playing another college basketball game.

Disgusting.
Hate it for you.

“You’re done, you’re not coming back. If you need us, you have our numbers, we’ll help you with whatever, but you’re not playing another college basketball game.

Disgusting.

Actually I don’t mind that part. Those 3 guys would have been stupid to come back.

The part that disgusts me is when Fox admits that every possession ends up in an iso situation and that Cal WANTS it that way. Lmfao. That’s WHY you lost in the elite 8, dumbass. Roy went to a zone with 5 mins left and you can’t iso against a zone... just dribble around mindlessly and jack up an off-balance, contested shot at the buzzer.

And it’s still happening 5 years later.

Actually I don’t mind that part. Those 3 guys would have been stupid to come back.

The part that disgusts me is when Fox admits that every possession ends up in an iso situation and that Cal WANTS it that way. Lmfao. That’s WHY you lost in the elite 8, dumbass. Roy went to a zone with 5 mins left and you can’t iso against a zone... just dribble around mindlessly and jack up an off-balance, contested shot at the buzzer.

They might have been stupid to come back, but if they wanted to, that door should've been left open for them instead of slammed shut.

“We lost on a buzzer-beater,” Fox said. “Cal brings us in about 20 minutes after, he said, “All of y’all are gone.” Brought us all in there, said, “You’re done, you’re not coming back. If you need us, you have our numbers, we’ll help you with whatever, but you’re not playing another college basketball game.”‘
So the sting of losing in the tournament hadn't settled before he was telling guys they were going pro? Hmmm

They pick out 2-3 quotes , often out of context to push their narrative. It’s their playbook.
Yes, but they are HIS words, said multiple times. I don't know what other evidence you need. Do you need Cal to reiterate his own words, again, in a hand written note addressed to you, before you realize it's not some conspiracy theory cooked up by a few Cal haters? The three of you (or maybe it's just one) Cal pumpers are either amazingly clueless, in denile, or trolls.

Yes, but they are HIS words, said multiple times. I don't know what other evidence you need. Do you need Cal to reiterate his own words, again, in a hand written note addressed to you, before you realize it's not some conspiracy theory cooked up by a few Cal haters? The three of you (or maybe it's just one) Cal pumpers are either amazingly clueless, in denile, or trolls.
100% They obviously have an agenda

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Hadn't even taken their uniforms off yet
If you don't understand the comments it's your own fault.
It's amazing how many of our fans don't understand what they actually hear lol

Have you ever stopped to wonder, gee if he doesn't care about winning then why is he making the players work so hard. Which fox also said...
He won't let the players come back because he's protecting them from making stupid decisions of coming back and not making as much money the next year. (I would love to hear why you believe he's saying that).

I'd hope that after 10 minutes of feeling disappointed they'd be ready to think about the future. Lots of people seem to imagine that losing a game is like losing a person. How long do you grieve over a game?
I’m still grieving over Woodens retirement fiasco, so, almost 50 years? I get it. Nothing wrong with being a casual fan. Sure as hell nothing wrong with being a lifer either. Y’all youngsters keep poking fun at the older, been through it all, thought we’d seen it all crowd, that’s fine. I probably did the same 50 years ago. But not one person on this board really can define or tell another what UK fandom means to them. So if you can forget a loss in 10 minutes, more power to you. Just don’t tell me I should do the same.

I’m still grieving over Woodens retirement fiasco, so, almost 50 years? I get it. Nothing wrong with being a casual fan. Sure as hell nothing wrong with being a lifer either. Y’all youngsters keep poking fun at the older, been through it all, thought we’d seen it all crowd, that’s fine. I probably did the same 50 years ago. But not one person on this board really can define or tell another what UK fandom means to them. So if you can forget a loss in 10 minutes, more power to you. Just don’t tell me I should do the same.

I remember a writer talking about readers who "love the work more than we ourselves". Fans often seem to have more emotionally invested in the outcome of the game than the people who play it. In the end -- and sooner -- it's a game because it has no connection to the rest of the world. When I was a teenager I played Bridge. (That's how old I am.) I quickly abandoned the game because of the players who rehashed every bid and every trick while the next hand was being dealt. After that I moved on to chess. There I read the story of the great American chess master Paul Morphy who said, "The ability to play chess is the sign of a gentleman. The ability to play chess well is the sign of a wasted life." Don't let games waste your life.

I remember a writer talking about readers who "love the work more than we ourselves". Fans often seem to have more emotionally invested in the outcome of the game than the people who play it. In the end -- and sooner -- it's a game because it has no connection to the rest of the world. When I was a teenager I played Bridge. (That's how old I am.) I quickly abandoned the game because of the players who rehashed every bid and every trick while the next hand was being dealt. After that I moved on to chess. There I read the story of the great American chess master Paul Morphy who said, "The ability to play chess is the sign of a gentleman. The ability to play chess well is the sign of a wasted life." Don't let games waste your life.
So sorry you’ve never heard a wild turkey gobble before daylight, or seen a sucker shoaling. Chess is a game.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie

”‘

So you're just going to ignore the next sentence where he says that results in 30 wins a year. He's not saying Cal doesn't care about winning. Man I'm glad I didn't grow up in this state's public education system.

It seems counter productive to your happiness to give something that you have no control over and no hand in such power over you.

Have you ever stopped to wonder, gee if he doesn't care about winning then why is he making the players work so hard. Which fox also said...
He won't let the players come back because he's protecting them from making stupid decisions of coming back and not making as much money the next year. (I would love to hear why you believe he's saying that).
Oh he wants to win, but it’s not his top priority. He’s said as much many times. That’s not acceptable. He’s not Mother Teresa. He’s a UK employee that was hired to win basketball games.

I'd hope that after 10 minutes of feeling disappointed they'd be ready to think about the future. Lots of people seem to imagine that losing a game is like losing a person. How long do you grieve over a game?
If it’s important to you, a lot damned longer than 10 minutes. Tell that shit to Farmer, Feldhaus, Pelphrey, and Woods and they’d probably knock your ass out.

Then why are you here?

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

Draft night, baby, DRAFT NIGHT!!!

• Haha
Reactions: CROCAT

I'm not sure it's always stupid for back-end lottery picks to return. Monk and Bam were in the rear of that lottery. If they came back, there's a solid chance they get into the top 5 the next year, especially Bam. Monk could have probably gone top 7 or so.

I know there's real money to be made in the NBA, but our fan base has essentially embraced the same mentality that Cal has - which is that returning to Kentucky is essentially like encountering the Black Plague.

That mentality is why guys like Shaedon Sharpe are playing us now.

Last edited:
The issue with Cal being like that as the coach and ambassador of the school is the other, non-lottery picks, also hear that same message. It therefore cheapens and devalues UKs importance and impact to all of them, and leads to mass transfers and players leaving the first chance they get even if not ready. How do you convince the non-stars to commit and stay if you tell the stars they’re dumb to stay? It would result in an inconsistent mixed message. That’s the true issue.

I'm sure it's always stupid for back-end lottery picks to return. Monk and Bam were in the rear of that lottery. If they came back, there's a solid chance they get into the top 5 the next year, especially Bam. Monk could have probably gone top 7 or so.

I know there's real money to be made in the NBA, but our fan base has essentially embraced the same mentality that Cal has - which is that returning to Kentucky is essentially like encountering the Black Plague.

That mentality is why guys like Shaedon Sharpe are playing us now.
Playing us but not playing for us. The new Kentucky way.

Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT