ADVERTISEMENT

4 things all UK fans need to take note of

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
Winning titles isn’t “luck”. Most of the time the best team wins. Coaching is what overcomes any luck factor.

Number one seeds matter. You’re going to win titles if you’re always on the top seed line. 2015 was the last time for our program.

And “modern basketball” with high flying offense is worthless if you can’t win in the 60s.if you can’t win with your D you have no shot. It May be attractive to recruits and win in the nba but not college basketball.

You’re a fraud without a post presence and you need depth at that spot.

I think Z can develop into that post presence. Skilled. Needs strength and maturity. Bradshaw and Ugo have potential but all 3 have to hit it hard during the off season. All need hard no excuses coaching.

The UK Men's basketball program needs a culture change. More emphasis placed on the name on the front of the jersey than the one on the back.
SEC regular season titles, SEC tourney titles and being a legit National title contender instead of a one and done in the dance should be the constant seasonal goal instead of NBA draft night.
Change will come once the asshole that is called coach at UK no longer has that role.

I think Z can develop into that post presence. Skilled. Needs strength and maturity. Bradshaw and Ugo have potential but all 3 have to hit it hard during the off season. All need hard no excuses coaching.
I don’t think Ugo has the coordination to have much of a ceiling. He can get stronger but it’s harder to improve your coordination. Probably won’t be here anyway.

Stop signing players that moonlight getting tossed at a Lexington bar! We need size. It is fun to watch a bunch of dwarves run around on the court but to fight the elite schools of today it takes SIZE and lots of it. Several 7 footers are out there and its time Cal scooped 'em up in his net. We already have a pair of fowards signed but our need at center isn't being addressed. Sign them up fast.

Winning titles isn’t “luck”. Most of the time the best team wins. Coaching is what overcomes any luck factor.

Number one seeds matter. You’re going to win titles if you’re always on the top seed line. 2015 was the last time for our program.

And “modern basketball” with high flying offense is worthless if you can’t win in the 60s.if you can’t win with your D you have no shot. It May be attractive to recruits and win in the nba but not college basketball.

You’re a fraud without a post presence and you need depth at that spot.
Winning titles in a title game isn't. Getting to a title game to have an opportunity to win it... Kind of is.

Sometimes. The reality is that in a one game win-or-go-home scenario, by the third or fourth game, it's very likely your opponent will be the best version of themselves... So seeding won't matter, because what they did six weeks ago won't matter.

This I agree with, but only for college. NBA teams can absolutely get by on offense alone. In college, 99.8% of players are not skilled enough offensively to exploit a defense repeatedly. In the NBA, they are. Edey will not be a thing in the NBA because at that level, guys like Morant, Lillard, Booker, SGA, Steph, etc. would absolutely eat him alive in a PnR.

Disagree. You need to be able to score at the rim, and you need to defend the rim, but you don't need a post presence. A bigger guard has a much better chance of scoring on a smaller defender at the rim than a bigger center has scoring over a smaller defender.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Ky had 3 seven footers and this coach could not teach them to post up.
lol it’s like bizarro world. People on rafters ripping cal for not having a post up center. You can’t make this stuff up. We had the NPOY and this place wanted to run him out on a rail because he stood in the way of “modern basketball”. Lol

1 and 2: A bit of an overreaction to a historic run by UConn. Coaching does matter, and getting a 1 seed does give you a better chance than any other position in the field, but let’s not kid ourselves that the tournament isn’t historically a volatile event with a lot of luck involved. In the 39 tournaments since expanding to a 64 team field, 1 seeds have accounted for just under 40% of Final Four slots. It’s a much higher percentage than any other seed, but still a 60% rate of losing to a lower seed somewhere in the region. Just look at Purdue losing to a 16 seed last year and making the championship game this year with largely the same team to see how much variance there can be.

3. Somewhat true, but offense definitely matters. One sided teams who excel on one end of the court and struggle on the other don’t typically go deep in the tournament, but this applies equally to teams who can’t score, but win ugly games on defense alone. Being able to survive a game in the 60s is probably a good thing, but you don’t see many elite teams aiming for that anymore. Last time a score under 70 won the championship game was 2015.

4. An overreaction to this year’s championship game. Edey is an extreme outlier of a player who scores a nearly unheard of number of points per post up possession. Clingan is a defensive game changer, but even then, UConn is pretty frequently surrounding him with 4 guys who can play on the perimeter and isn’t exclusively running their offense through him. You ideally want a guy who can block shots and rebound at the 5 position, but back to the basket offense from him is gravy more than a necessity. Not many recent champions primarily ran their offense through the post.

Remember the spin move Z did in the Georgia game . He missed the shot but it was one hell of a post up move . Never saw it again . I wonder if coaches just decided not to use it

1. Best team definitely doesn’t win “most of the time.”

2. Yes. One seeds matter. You want the easiest path possible.

3. Calling hogwash on needing to win in the 60s. Yes, you have to play some defense. But get as many possessions as you can, score as much as you can, and make yourself hard to catch. Much better than hoping you hit the last shot in a rock fight.

4. “You’re a fraud without a post presence” is a Calipari special. That’s why we played an OVC level game in round one with 31 minutes of Tre Mitchell. Call me crazy, but I think I would have run with the guards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT