ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Lottery Pick

The last 1st round pick makes 6 million+.
He gone. One of my favorites Cats of all time either way. I think he'll enjoy that more??

Reactions: gharding07
Sounds like there's going to be a bunch of ticked off and heart broken people on this board very soon.

It's all about NIL. Maybe if they pay him some crazy sum like 5 million he may stay.

He won't be winning anything that matters if Calipari is the coach though.

After last nights performance some mock drafts have him going top 5. Safe to say Reed will be off to the league after this season.
The one thing that's different in Reed's case, from every other one-and-done under Cal, is that he's a KY kid living his boyhood dream of playing at UK. We'll see if that makes a difference or not. The fact that his Pops played at UK too, AND won 2 titles there ... well, that adds another level to it.

The big difference is Reed dreamed of and grew up wanting to play for UK. That does matter whereas lots of these other guys could care less and just picked a school that could get them to the league the quickest. Reed does bleed blue. At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it 😂

Not that Reed owes us anything but he's gave me more than any one n done ever had including Davis. Because end of day Reed is one of us and a fantastic player.

I'm cool with the decision that he makes. You should be too.

Reactions: Fox2monk
While I realize some of you can't grasp this, I'm certain his desire to play in the league exceeds his desire to play here. If he's lottery, he's gone. His stock is not going to get any higher, no matter what he does. It could, however, drop. Couple that with the fact that this is a weak draft class, it's just not going to get any better for him.

If you can’t see the difference between those 50 and Reed then I don’t know what to tell your
Reed looks more ready than about 25 of them so I don’t know what you mean. Yes Reed is a legacy player but come on, you don’t always have a chance to be a top 5 pick. That’s a once in a lifetime thing, he may get a final 4 this year and feel he did what he had too and brought us glory. It’s his time to worry about his future and his families now. Him turning down even a top 10 pick would be the craziest draft decision under Cal here period.

Last edited:
He has dreamed of doing this (play at UK) his whole life. I'm sure he has dreams of being in the NBA. He is not your normal kid with NBA dreams. He is balanced and well grounded. He also knows that there is life after basketball. He is going to make a ton of money as a sophomore at UK. I believe he comes back for a second run and goes on to NBA after the 2025 season.

Reactions: KFuqua
The big difference is Reed dreamed of and grew up wanting to play for UK. That does matter whereas lots of these other guys could care less and just picked a school that could get them to the league the quickest. Reed does bleed blue. At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it 😂
I honestly hope that wins out but realistically I don’t see how it’s possible.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I figure of all of our potential lottery picks ever under Cal, Reed has the highest potential to stay for all the reasons mentioned.

But that being said, I still expect him to go. I've seen him compared to Mike Bibby, Mike Conley and JJ Reddick as far as the NBA is concerned. Each of those guys made well over $100 million (Conley's made $250 million).

That's generational wealth.

Even if he doesn't hit those comps and just becomes Jodie Meeks, that's still a $30 million career.

I figure of all of our potential lottery picks ever under Cal, Reed has the highest potential to stay for all the reasons mentioned.

But that being said, I still expect him to go. I've seen him compared to Mike Bibby, Mike Conley and JJ Reddick as far as the NBA is concerned. Each of those guys made well over $100 million (Conley's made $250 million).

That's generational wealth.

Even if he doesn't hit those comps and just becomes Jodie Meeks, that's still a $30 million career.

Ya with your dad a financial advisor and if he decides to settle in Kentucky that’s pretty much wealth for the next 5 generations

I wouldn't be surprised if he returned for a 2nd season. He has spots in his game that could improve. Being a lottery pick far from guarantees success.

Ultimately, making a decision to turn down that potential money is a bet on one's self. I could 100% see Reed doing that.

What I will say is if we win a Natty he is gone for sure. But I think wearing Kentucky across his chest means more than it does for others.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I wouldn't be surprised if he returned for a 2nd season. He has spots in his game that could improve. Being a lottery pick far from guarantees success.

Ultimately, making a decision to turn down that potential money is a bet on one's self. I could 100% see Reed doing that.

What I will say is if we win a Natty he is gone for sure. But I think wearing Kentucky across his chest means more than it does for others.

If he wins a natty I’ll drive him to the draft

@LXWildcat , what kind of trash heap poster would rejoice about losing Reed Sheppard to the draft like you did?

You're one of our worst posters here. Just thought you should know.

moodie-character-whistling-past-graveyard-260nw-91590806.jpg

Reactions: ThunderCat98
The one thing that makes me think it’s a possibility he comes back is opportunity. If he leaves for the draft, the opportunity to play for Kentucky is over. There’s no coming back. On the other hand, if he comes back, the opportunity to play in the NBA is still there. It will be a tough decision for him, but I’m glad he has played well enough to have a decision to make.

Reactions: KFuqua and NociHTTP
I say reed is in Lexington next season. I believe his parents want the college experience for him. I think Jeff probably has enough nil offers already on behalf of reed. His parents know reed could potentially become the greatest to ever play in Lexington or at least become the most beloved cat of all time. I also believe they understand how much the state of Kentucky needs reed Shepard. These parents are so close with their son that I imagine they want to see him mature and have more moments like last night rather than go directly into the slog of the nba travel 82 games. Nil gives them the opportunity to do all this. So the question really is why would he leave? For the money? There will be plenty for him next season in Lexington.
The pic that someone on here shared of Jeff holding Reed is an absolutely heartwarming photo. Something I won't forget for a long time. Once you experience the NBA there is no more going back to the college experience. His parents are acutely aware of that.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
The one thing that's different in Reed's case, from every other one-and-done under Cal, is that he's a KY kid living his boyhood dream of playing at UK. We'll see if that makes a difference or not. The fact that his Pops played at UK too, AND won 2 titles there ... well, that adds another level to it.
The only way you scenario happens is if certain guys would stay as well. This has a shot at big things. If a bunch off this team don't hang around , next years team has 15% shot.

Heres the issue... this is a historically weak draft.

Reed will be lotto this year but there is no guarantee he will be next year.

What he's given BBN the passion the legacy.... yes I want more but it's selfish.

Go make your money kid.
If there happened to be that amount of kids ahead of Reed as lotto picks next it would be one of the most incredible classes of talent ever. Reed is a lotto pick whenever he decides to go. He is that good. I put him up there with Sga as far as his ceiling if he doesn't get hurt. He is above Maxey, Iq, and Herro for sure.

The difference is a three year deal that pays him thirty million and it can all be gone in an instant if he comes back and gets hurt .
where’d you get 30m from? depending on your mock draft he’s around 10th. last years 10th pick got 3.5. in 3 years that’s not 11m.

Partrick Patterson was projected lottery after his time with clyde but he returned to school because he and his parents felt he was cheated of the college experience and he wanted to play for a championship in March. I admired that. He is one of my all time favorite players for that reason.
I would add that PP’s family was also well off so there was no financial pressure for him to get to the league.

The last 1st round pick makes 6 million+.
He gone. One of my favorites Cats of all time either way. I think he'll enjoy that more??
It’s not about that 1st contract. The 2nd one is the big life changing one (20X the first). So do whatever maximizes chances of increasing that one.
So maybe not.
Not to mention the value in just being able to stay a kid for one final year.

Reactions: Rockfly78
I'm just telling you he has been projected lottery for a while and there is definite discussion of a possible return. It's not a guarantee he is gone, you only get to be a kid once. Once you go to the NBA childhood is over, its an 82 game season and adulthood.
Willie Cauley Stein was borderline lottery and came back. I remember Cal told him he wasn’t coming back. Willie said he wasn’t ready to be an adult and wanted to return. Cal said OK then. His grandma in an interview said he wasn’t sure he wanted the NBA at all. He loved fashion. Wanted to be a designer I recall.

It’s not about that 1st contract. The 2nd one is the big life changing one (20X the first). So do whatever maximizes chances of increasing that one.
So maybe not.
Not to mention the value in just being able to stay a kid for one final year.
If you don’t blow it the first contact will change your life. More than some people earn in a lifetime. A second makes you stupid wealthy.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Hansbrough for North Carolina and the big guy for Duke are among others who chose to come back to school for their own reasons. Everybody isn't driven by money 24 hours a day. He has several NIL deals now and is having fun, plus he's just a freshman and money is NOT the most important thing in his life right now. Being a kid playing basketball and having fun is.
Tim Duncan passed up being the #1 overall pick 3 times. Then went #1 after his senior year and had a 20 year Hall of Fame NBA career and was a star from day 1. Reed is one of the few, because of his parentage, that may have dreamed more of playing for UK than in the NBA.

Why does everyone think his boyhood dream was to play for UK and not to play in the NBA? He was looking at other schools after UK offered so if it was his boyhood dream why did he not commit on the spot? Now was UK his first choice? I am sure it probably was since his dad and mom played here and he seemed to grow up a UK fan but he also wants to make millions playing in the league and if he can do that after this season as a lottery pick that may outweigh coming back another year to make UK fans happy.

It's going to be a shame watching Calipari squander this talent only to see them all go pro at the end of the year. Sheppard, Dillingham, and Reeves might be the best 1-2-3 punch we've seen since Fox, Monk, and Bam, and Cal's assuredly going to piss it away in March.

Then Cal is going to smile with Dilly and Sheppard in the green room, and pretend that the lottery was the only destination that really mattered.

I would add that PP’s family was also well off so there was no financial pressure for him to get to the league.
And the Reed family is in a hard place? Highly doubt that. Still, the ONLY reason Reed should return in he t5-10 is if he gets enough nil AND all these guys that can come back to be the NC favorite like the Fla kids did. Hopefully, we'll win it this year so this all becomes a mute point. Must remember who the coach is.

If there happened to be that amount of kids ahead of Reed as lotto picks next it would be one of the most incredible classes of talent ever. Reed is a lotto pick whenever he decides to go. He is that good. I put him up there with Sga as far as his ceiling if he doesn't get hurt. He is above Maxey, Iq, and Herro for sure.

I'm sorry Rob your going to be very disappointed when Reed does reach the NBA. This is an insane take and not true at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT