ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Lottery Pick

If Reed is a lottery pick (which all indications are that he will be), he would be an absolute fool to return.

If that was my son, no way he is returning for sophomore season. And isn't Jeff a financial advisor as well?? If so, no way he encourages his son to return. No way.

Why would a potential top 5 pick return to college? It makes absolutely no sense
I'm just telling you he has been projected lottery for a while and there is definite discussion of a possible return. It's not a guarantee he is gone, you only get to be a kid once. Once you go to the NBA childhood is over, its an 82 game season and adulthood.

Draft projection boards don't mean much. It's what NBA teams think that matters.

I think Sheppard can become a solid pro. But NBA is very different than college. There have been lots of examples of great college players who couldn’t make it (even as a backup) in the NBA, and mediocre college players who became very good pros. Billy McCaffrey was an absolute stud at Vandy (so good Mashburn had to share SEC-POY with him), could shoot it like Reed and pass it, but I don’t even think he got a taste of NBA. That’s not saying Reed won’t, just making the point college is different than pro.
But to be a good NBA player, Reed needs to get stronger and quicker. Yes, he can get drafted now, very likely as a lottery pick, but his goal should not be to be drafted, it should be to have a long and successful career in the NBA. Too many guys go too soon, slowing their progress, because the pros are "contribute or sit". So, developing one more year, especially his body, can only increase his chances of a rapid advancement in the NBA. And you would prefer to do that in a way that has you peaking by the end of your 3rd year to maximize that 2nd contract, that is the contract that “sets you for life” (not the rookie contract).

Also, Reeds parents got that full college 4-5 year experience, AND a degree. And I bet they want him to get more of that than just 1 year can give. Let him “be a kid”, enjoy “the college experience”, and not have to rush to “be an adult”!!! Once he leaves, there’s no going back.

He (and Wagner) do not come from homes where they are expected to break the string of generational poverty, don’t have that burden on their shoulders. Not obligated to make $ quickly for their parents.

So while I don’t think it’s a lock, or even a strong chance he returns, I do think it is a reasonable chance (say 30-60%) that he returns.
But I do completely expect him to test the waters, it only makes sense to do that (would be dumb not to), to find out what teams think you need to work on. I also expect the RR server to explode when he does test.

• Love
Reactions: NociHTTP and KFuqua
Why would a potential top 5 pick return to college? It makes absolutely no sense
Hansbrough for North Carolina and the big guy for Duke are among others who chose to come back to school for their own reasons. Everybody isn't driven by money 24 hours a day. He has several NIL deals now and is having fun, plus he's just a freshman and money is NOT the most important thing in his life right now. Being a kid playing basketball and having fun is.

Last edited:
if we can get him enough nil, what’s the difference? he could be poy next year and absolutely top 5.

Reactions: ukdaven
I'm just telling you he has been projected lottery for a while and there is definite discussion of a possible return. It's not a guarantee he is gone, you only get to be a kid once. Once you go to the NBA childhood is over, its an 82 game season and adulthood.
This is what I feel as well. I feel like Reed is a little different than our projected lottery picks from the past in that I don't think he came here with the intent on leaving after a year. I think he might return. I could be wrong but we will see.

The NIL money is a factor plus I think he was expecting to be here for 2 years and he will still be a lotto pick after a sophomore season. I just think he will legit try to lead a team and want to be the guy for a whole season before he bounces. The buzz about Reed would be off the charts.

Reactions: KFuqua
After last nights performance some mock drafts have him going top 5. Safe to say Reed will be off to the league after this season.
Why you post 4000 times he’s coming back .
Mental Health Help GIF by By Sauts // Alex Sautter (formerly Pretty Whiskey)

Partrick Patterson was projected lottery after his time with clyde but he returned to school because he and his parents felt he was cheated of the college experience and he wanted to play for a championship in March. I admired that. He is one of my all time favorite players for that reason.

I know its not a scenario we are used to and it's probably wishful thinking anyways. But it's not crazy to think that Reed comes back. His parents are very involved in his development and his future. If they don't feel like he is ready for the league right away then they will advise him to return to school. This isn't a kid who transferred all over the country from one basketball academy to the next in high school trying to be a OAD. He went to North Laurel and played for his hometown. He doesn't have handlers and agents and an entourage chasing shoe deals. He has Jeff and Stacy chewing their fingernails off during the games. After a bad game he called his Mom to come to the facility to work with him.

His parents will guide him and none of us know where they stand on his future. I'm sure they never expected a OAD scenario but one will be presented. They very well could stick to their original plans. A rookie NBA contract will buy a kid a house and some toys. That second contract will buy his grandkids a house and some toys. If they don't feel he is ready then I don't see them pushing him out at such a young age.

Just gotta let it play out.

Would love to put this post right next to your post from midway through last night's game if Reed does decide to come back. There's an above average chance he returns.
I don’t even think he turns down a top 5 pick. I really really hope he comes back but he’s balling out hard.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Partrick Patterson was projected lottery after his time with clyde but he returned to school because he and his parents felt he was cheated of the college experience and he wanted to play for a championship in March. I admired that. He is one of my all time favorite players for that reason.
Well on the one hand we have PP and on the other we have like 50 dudes who did go. I don’t like the odds.

After last nights performance some mock drafts have him going top 5. Safe to say Reed will be off to the league after this season.
I say reed is in Lexington next season. I believe his parents want the college experience for him. I think Jeff probably has enough nil offers already on behalf of reed. His parents know reed could potentially become the greatest to ever play in Lexington or at least become the most beloved cat of all time. I also believe they understand how much the state of Kentucky needs reed Shepard. These parents are so close with their son that I imagine they want to see him mature and have more moments like last night rather than go directly into the slog of the nba travel 82 games. Nil gives them the opportunity to do all this. So the question really is why would he leave? For the money? There will be plenty for him next season in Lexington.

He could probably make 5 million in NIL money next year at UK
Dream on! Yeah, and be a year longer to the 2nd NBA contract?

All of you thinking Reed returns, just stop, you look foolish beyond description! If I’m Reed, no way in hades I’m playing another year for the Clownipari, even if I weren’t lottery/ 1st round🤣

I have heard max is probably 2 million ish. If he is top 14 and it's a numbers decision he's gone. If emotions play into it, it's possible he returns but I don't think he will.
I have no knowledge about the NIL. It's just I heard , or read, Oscar was making 2 million ( don't know if thats true ) and if Oscar was worth 2 million, a Kentucky boy as good as Reed is would be worth twice as much IMO

Reactions: NociHTTP
Reed could become beset with injuries if he comes back. If he's lottery, he should go. ...period. He doesn't need to hang around here with Cal as a coach and have a subpar season where the whole team looks bad. You need to go while you're hot.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Everyone is making good points. I would love to see him return to play with Travis, and or win a championship like his father did. Jeff made big sacrifices to do that. Think of how unselfish Jeff was to redshirt his senior year. No one would do that today. Reed likely doesn't need the money, and he is already well ahead of his projections. You almost can't say no to the pros going top 10. It will also suck, becoming a job, and he will never have the fan support like he gets here. Tough decisions coming up for that kid, that's for sure. I will say, I hate the way college ball is now. No more 3-4 year players that you get to know.

Reactions: KFuqua and NociHTTP
If Reed is a lottery pick (which all indications are that he will be), he would be an absolute fool to return.

If that was my son, no way he is returning for sophomore season. And isn't Jeff a financial advisor as well?? If so, no way he encourages his son to return. No way.
I want my son stay young forever.... Going into full fledged business of NBA is about as far away from what he knows that you can be. I'm not so sure his parents would tell him to go

Multiple reasons:
Parents have money.
He could make millions in NIL next season.
He is a ridiculously skilled young man, but I think he is a little undersized for the nba right now. (I don't believe his listed height).
Kentucky basketball is a family thing.
He could legitimately be NPOTY next year.
And I don't know, maybe he enjoys college and is having the time of his life?
Not sure why we are assuming everyone who steps foot on campus already has a foot out the door.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT