ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Hunter Greene is the most frustrating damn player on this team. He got paid to be the ace of this staff and he is too inconsistent especially with the talented young pitchers to come in this organization. You never know what you are going to get with him. It's year 3, it's time to shit or get off the pot. Done making any excuses. Once you get paid, those go out the window.
Could not agree more. So far he is not earning that 53 million he got from the Reds. And every time I see Wade Miley pitch it pisses me off that the Reds did not sign him. They could have had him pretty cheap.

And Cole has been noticeably absent here during this little stretch.
Same as you all are absent when he "consistently" is awful. You get giddy over a couple of games this early in the year...fine. Prepared to be let down come August when he is hitting .225 w/ a 40% K rate.

Hunter Greene has only went past 6 innings in 2 of his last 25 starts. Ridiculous. He's Homer Bailey all over again.

Most of them don't get to 5 innings
Graham Ashcraft pitched 5+ innings 20 times last year alone, and he spent time on the IL.

Andrew Abbot pitched 5+ innings 12 times last year and didn't make is first start until June 5th.

So 2 out of 25 for Hunter Greene is a huge problem and what you said simply isnt true.

Graham Ashcraft pitched 5+ innings 20 times last year alone, and he spent time on the IL.

Andrew Abbot pitched 5+ innings 12 times last year and didn't make is first start until June 5th.

So 2 out of 25 for Hunter Greene is a huge problem and what you said simply isnt true.
What I meant to say was that most of Hunter Greene's starts don't last 5 innings, did not mean to imply any of the other Reds fell into that category.

Reactions: assistbyhawkins
Hunter Greene is the most frustrating damn player on this team. He got paid to be the ace of this staff and he is too inconsistent especially with the talented young pitchers to come in this organization. You never know what you are going to get with him. It's year 3, it's time to shit or get off the pot. Done making any excuses. Once you get paid, those go out the window.
For me it's more Ashcraft; you watch his first 4 innings the other night and he was throwing pitches that Corbin Burnes would tip his hat to. 98+cutters and sinkers and a whole bunch of weak grounders and popups when contact was made.

The post-6 run inning it's like he was back to being the guy who got a 12.00 ERA in about a month before going onto the DL. His type of stuff is the type you HAVE to have somewhere in your rotation to be marginally successful in GABP. To me what separates Ashcraft and Greene isn't velocity, it's that Greene's fastball is straight and Ashcrafts moves and darts.

For me it's more Ashcraft; you watch his first 4 innings the other night and he was throwing pitches that Corbin Burnes would tip his hat to. 98+cutters and sinkers and a whole bunch of weak grounders and popups when contact was made.

The post-6 run inning it's like he was back to being the guy who got a 12.00 ERA in about a month before going onto the DL. His type of stuff is the type you HAVE to have somewhere in your rotation to be marginally successful in GABP. To me what separates Ashcraft and Greene isn't velocity, it's that Greene's fastball is straight and Ashcrafts moves and darts.
Neither are perfect but it is not even close for me. You're right, Greene's fastball is flat or down the middle when he finds the zone. Greene was paid handsomely to be the ace and is anything but one. Patience running thin with him for me. Some people online just beat around the bush. I don't know if it is immaturity or a bit lazy especially when it came to backing up home plate on an overthrow. Still find it odd that he required a midseason strength and conditioning program last year. Ashcraft isn't the 1st round pick with the contract extension and our 5th man in the rotation. Coming through the system I never had the expectations of Ashcraft that were bestowed upon someone with the hype of Hunter Greene coming out of high school. He simply hasn't lived up to the billing.

Hunter Greene is a thrower, not a pitcher yet. Until he can develop a 3rd pitch, he isn't going to fool anyone in this league throwing gas by Major Leaguers, especially in GABP. It was evident last night how much of a work in progress his splitter and curveball when he tried to mix it in. If he can't be more than a 2-pitch pitcher, a move to the bullpen with his injury history should be considered in the future. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he became another Chapman for the Reds someday in the pen. Another gripe, he is not durable. Greene has only gone 7 innings in his career half as many times as Ashcraft with multiple games pitching in the 8th. I still have more hope of Ashcraft sticking in the rotation as a solid contributor as a 4-5 man for the Reds more than Greene all things considered.

Last edited:
The Reds did the same with Homer Bailey. Never learned!

Nick Lodolo was sharp today after being away for almost a year. 5 2/3 scoreless innings with 10 K's, 1 hit & 1 BB. If he can do this against some of the better teams, what a boost it will be for the starting rotation.

Last edited:
The Reds beat up on a bad White Sox team on the road...that's progress and they got three solid starts in the process and didn't strain the Bullpen in any way.

It was good to see CES warmup a little and the OF defense the whole series was a big surprise.

Addendum: a weak hitting Seattle lineup gets the oxygen of back-to-back leadoff walks followed by a three run dinger and coasts over the Reds' briefly annointed Number 1. Panic ensues.

Last edited:
Hunter Greene throws 98 pitches to get 12 outs. Pathetic
Hasn't earned that contract. That money is held up on a player before it is justified when the Reds should have been looking to pay Steer in the form of a contract extension. This is why he frustrates me to no end. The time for excuses are over!! This franchise never learns from previous mistakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: CalCat57
India's OBP is above his career-average with the amount of HBP and walks he draws but only hitting .169 out of the leadoff spot. 3 for 32 since his last multi-hit game on the 5th vs the Mets. Very little power with his slugging percentage half of overall career percentage. Yet to hit a home run and only 4 RBIs. 21 bombs as a rookie and not playing near his potential for a player who should be no less than a 20/20 player.

Have to wonder how much of this is more indicative of the player he really is instead of the 2021 NL ROY being his ceiling or injuries mounting up after the rough HBP in the Mets series, getting hit in batting practice the other day and any lingering effects plantar fasciitis has to do with this. Just speculation at this point to how much of an impact any of this is having. Trying to be fair to the guy but can't ignore the fact that he has to do more. Especially after he was awarded a 2-year extension.

If he's hurt, needs to go to the IL. Talking about finding a replacement for him while hitting .169 currently isn't that big of a stretch. Not going to magically recover pushing through pain. It's a long season to go still. May be time to consider playing Espinal more at 2B. They should consider moving Steer there or finally give Blake Dunn/Hurtubise in the OF to fill Steer's place if he goes to 2B. With Martini playing decent and Fairchild better than usual, there are options with this infield depth depleted at the moment.

Last edited:
^
Your analysis is excellent, but the bigger problem at the moment is that other than EDLC, all of the Reds infielders are below the Mendoza line. And Maile is .130. Long term, that won't cut it.

Reactions: CalCat57 and dtjr
^
Your analysis is excellent, but the bigger problem at the moment is that other than EDLC, all of the Reds infielders are below the Mendoza line. And Maile is .130. Long term, that won't cut it.
Losing Friedl, Marte and McClain is really having it's affects on this team. Getting Marte back at the halfway point will help a ton, and hopefully Friedl isn't out too much longer. I assume it will be mid-late may at the earliest for him. but he was much more effective in the leadoff spot. It'll be June of 2025 before we see McClain with the way the Reds training staff works.

Reactions: M4CAT
Way to go. Drop a series to an under .500 Mariners team. Beating up on the dysfunctional White Sox was fools gold.

The Mariners record at this stage of the season is irrelevant. They have a better team than the Reds, whose record is definitely fools gold.

KKKKKruz w/ another base running blunder to kill a rally.

The Mariners record at this stage of the season is irrelevant. They have a better team than the Reds, whose record is definitely fools gold.

KKKKKruz w/ another base running blunder to kill a rally.
Right, a lineup with only 2 hitters hitting above .219 is a 'better team' than Cincinnati. Reds with 6 starters hitting better than that. Not buying that one at all. This is a failure by the Reds to capitalize on a team that only had 6 wins before the serious. That is a joke. This team has a long ways to go and beating up on shitty pitching over the weekend proved nothing as it did not carry over into this series.

^
CES won't hit below the Mendoza line forever. 2 hits in the Monday loss and .276 over the last week factoring in the 0-4 yesterday. He probably is the least of my concerns in the IF. My point with Steer coming back to the infield temporarily to put forth a better offensive lineup is a way to bring some offensive production there and can get someone like Martini more playing time in the corner outfield.

Reds vastly overpaid for a switch hitter and what Candelario did last year in WAS/CHC was a fluke as he is nothing more than a career .241 hitter. Maile is a career .210 hitter. Expecting more out of these guys and paid better than they deserve is another Reds mistake. These guys are playing like the numbers on the back of their baseball card. The Reds lineup has 6 starters above the Mendoza line with Stephenson the lowest and factoring in Martini at DH.

Still leaves India who it is hard to tell at this point is he closer to the .250 hitter and playing nowhere near like that hurt, forcing himself into the lineup with the depth stretched thin. 2021 and the first half of the 2023 season he was a decent hitter which is why I am not ready to give up on him knowing this guy is always playing through some sort of pain like he did all of the 2022 season too. They have to figure something out with him because .169 with little power, only 3 extra base hits doesn't suffice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tskware and dtjr
Right, a lineup with only 2 hitters hitting above .219 is a 'better team' than Cincinnati. Reds with 6 starters hitting better than that. Not buying that one at all. This is a failure by the Reds to capitalize on a team that only had 6 wins before the serious. That is a joke. This team has a long ways to go and beating up on shitty pitching over the weekend proved nothing as it did not carry over into this series.

You're 18 games into the season and you are throwing out averages. Hilarious.

You know why it didn't carry over into this series?

Losing Friedl, Marte and McClain is really having it's affects on this team. Getting Marte back at the halfway point will help a ton, and hopefully Friedl isn't out too much longer. I assume it will be mid-late may at the earliest for him. but he was much more effective in the leadoff spot. It'll be June of 2025 before we see McClain with the way the Reds training staff works.
Losing Friedl hurts this team more than people realize and will make a huge difference at the top of the order. Was thinking about him last night when I typed my post. He will push Steer to get some infield starts again while there are injuries and the outfield will have Friedl, Fraley, Benson, Fairchild & Martini. Marte, who knows what to expect from him. Saw glimpses of him last year being a top prospect but how much of that was a benefit from the PED use and when did he start taking them? Fernando Tatis is near as good as he was before coming off them from the time he got popped so we'll never know.

You're 18 games into the season and you are throwing out averages. Hilarious.

You know why it didn't carry over into this series?
I prefer to back my claims up with facts. What facts have you stated? Something you routinely fail to do before slandering everyone on this team year in and out to support outrageous claims. Not to mention your irrational hatred for EDLC as you seize the moment he makes a blunder and as many others point out undermine anything he does right here. You claim Seattle is somehow a 'better team' despite multiple instances to the contrary. Reds failed to take advantage of a team they should have beaten but I'm not about to put over a team that just won 25% of their season win total in 1 home series to excuse the Reds for not playing better. Surprise us all someday and say something good about a Reds player. It will be a first. Hope no one here falls over from a coronary.

Last edited:
India's OBP is above his career-average with the amount of HBP and walks he draws but only hitting .169 out of the leadoff spot. 3 for 32 since his last multi-hit game on the 5th vs the Mets. Very little power with his slugging percentage half of overall career percentage. Yet to hit a home run and only 4 RBIs. 21 bombs as a rookie and not playing near his potential for a player who should be no less than a 20/20 player.

Have to wonder how much of this is more indicative of the player he really is instead of the 2021 NL ROY being his ceiling or injuries mounting up after the rough HBP in the Mets series, getting hit in batting practice the other day and any lingering effects plantar fasciitis has to do with this. Just speculation at this point to how much of an impact any of this is having. Trying to be fair to the guy but can't ignore the fact that he has to do more. Especially after he was awarded a 2-year extension.

If he's hurt, needs to go to the IL. Talking about finding a replacement for him while hitting .169 currently isn't that big of a stretch. Not going to magically recover pushing through pain. It's a long season to go still. May be time to consider playing Espinal more at 2B. They should consider moving Steer there or finally give Blake Dunn/Hurtubise in the OF to fill Steer's place if he goes to 2B. With Martini playing decent and Fairchild better than usual, there are options with this infield depth depleted at the moment.
Maile deserved to come back and his strengths on this team are his defensive skills as a catcher and handling the pitching staff. Stephenson came up his first couple of seasons as more of the offensive guy but hasn't been the same since the injury-riddled 2022 season. Maile was never brought in to be with the offensive skill set catchers like the Contreras brothers, Will Smith and Adley Rutchsman have.

Need better than Sims & Farmer. Diaz has to come in the 7th inning. Burning the closer to put out a mess by Sims. Pathetic series by the Reds.

• Sad
Reactions: dtjr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT