ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

It's ironic that Tomas Vera represents the Reds and this training staff at the All-Star Game last year and injuries are a persistent issue year in and out with this orgranization.

Reactions: trueblujr2
Welp, off to the kind of injury filled start to a season we've become accustomed to. Looks like hanging onto India was a pretty good decision now. As long as his Plantar Fasciitis doesn't flare up again and again.

Welp, off to the kind of injury filled start to a season we've become accustomed to. Looks like hanging onto India was a pretty good decision now. As long as his Plantar Fasciitis doesn't flare up again and again.
Frustrating indeed. Definitely need India healthy and the Candelario signing looks good right now.

I am really curious to see what lineup combinations David Bell runs out there now. Usually, it is always something unpredictable unless playing the L/R splits.

Once Friedl went down, I expected LF Steer, CF Benson, RF Fraley.

Now that McLain is out. The infield will be interesting. I expect 3B Candelario. EDLC at SS and India at 2B. CES at 1B. Catcher Stephenson/Maile.

DH will be the biggest question mark day to day. I think Martini and Fairchild make the team now. If so and knowing Bell, probably get a lot of Fairchild in CF which is not exciting. Wouldn't be the case if this team was healthy. Martini can play the corner outfield spots and 1B. Any lineup that features Fairchild and Martini in the outfield could push Steer to get some starts in the infield and shift CES to DH with Steer/Candelario in the infield. Also, wouldn't be shocked if Maile take on more of a load at catcher while Stephenson is at DH. It remains to be seen how much of a role Santiago Espinal will have in this lineup. He plays 2B, SS & 3B. Will note that Espinal was an All-Star for the Blue Jays in 2022.

I am really curious to see what lineup combinations David Bell runs out there now. Usually, it is always something unpredictable unless playing the L/R splits.

Once Friedl went down, I expected LF Steer, CF Benson, RF Fraley.

Now that McLain is out. The infield will be interesting. I expect 3B Candelario. EDLC at SS and India at 2B. CES at 1B. Catcher Stephenson/Maile.

DH will be the biggest question mark day to day. I think Martini and Fairchild make the team now. If so and knowing Bell, probably get a lot of Fairchild in CF which is not exciting. Wouldn't be the case if this team was healthy. Martini can play the corner outfield spots and 1B. Any lineup that features Fairchild and Martini in the outfield could push Steer to get some starts in the infield and shift CES to DH with Steer/Candelario in the infield. Also, wouldn't be shocked if Maile take on more of a load at catcher while Stephenson is at DH. It remains to be seen how much of a role Santiago Espinal will have in this lineup. He plays 2B, SS & 3B. Will note that Espinal was an All-Star for the Blue Jays in 2022.
Reds have major holes in the OF. Look at current playoff teams....all have at least one All Star type in the OF. While Steer has that potential, nobody else is close. That needs to be fixed moving ahead.

And Earth to Bell: Put CES at 1B, bat him 4th or 5th and LEAVE HIM ALONE!

Spring Training over. Starts for real Thursday. Reds went 11-15-2 for the second worst record in the Cactus League. One more injury to start the season with Sam Moll headed to the IL.

Could be good if they all stay healthy. Where does Lodolo slide in once he comes back on April 10? Do the go with a 6 man rotation? does Lodolo slide into Martinez spot and Martinez become a spot starter to give guys days off? Ultimately it will come down to who hasn't hit the IL by week 3. I'll be pretty amazed if we manage to buck the trend of having a makeshift lineup by June.

Could be good if they all stay healthy. Where does Lodolo slide in once he comes back on April 10? Do the go with a 6 man rotation? does Lodolo slide into Martinez spot and Martinez become a spot starter to give guys days off? Ultimately it will come down to who hasn't hit the IL by week 3. I'll be pretty amazed if we manage to buck the trend of having a makeshift lineup by June.
I think they have to explore the 6-man rotation when Lodolo can prove to stay healthy. Williamson will no doubt get a few starts at some point in 2024 when he returns and injuries come, plus skipping starts to preserve arms down the stretch. One of them could be used as a rubber arm out of the bullpen and both can be used as a spot starters if Bell keeps the 5-man rotation. I can't see them pulling their #3 starter Martinez who had a great spring so long as he produces. IMO, Lodolo has the most to prove to get back to the rotation after missing much of 2022 and not returning in 2023 like the rest did.

D*** I thought McClain was one of their best young players. It figures, the Reds just can't catch a break.

Reactions: CalCat57
D*** I thought McClain was one of their best young players. It figures, the Reds just can't catch a break.
The decision to Keep India is paying dividends right about now. between McClain, the Marte Suspension and losing Arroyo for the season, the stockpile of middle infielders went from abundant to needing help real quick. Arroyo was slated for the minors anyway, but he was blowing up in spring before his injury, he could have been brought up to fill a spot if needed.

Reactions: Tskware
The decision to Keep India is paying dividends right about now. between McClain, the Marte Suspension and losing Arroyo for the season, the stockpile of middle infielders went from abundant to needing help real quick. Arroyo was slated for the minors anyway, but he was blowing up in spring before his injury, he could have been brought up to fill a spot if needed.
Also, the Candelario signing after all of these injuries with his experience and production as a switch hitter on both sides of the plate.

Might have found them a DH out of nowhere with Martini. Unlike the fluke Jason Vosler last year, Nick was quite productive in his limited role last year.

Great Reds debut for Montas pitching 6 scoreless and 4 hits without a walk for his first start since the 2022 season. 81 pitches, 53 strikes. If he can stay close that efficiency against some of the better teams, it will be huge for this rotation to have an ace that can go deep into games.

Reactions: Tskware
The Reds defense today to put it bluntly has been totally pathetic. Reds should be up one to nothing, instead they trail 2-1.

Reds are still one of the worst fundamental teams in baseball. Totally gave that game away today with dropped pop-ups, not knowing how many outs there are, base running blunders. Diaz looked like crap.

Diaz had a crappy ST and people blew it off as: "It's only ST!" Uh, no....have to wonder if he's healthy.

Diaz had an ERA over 10.00 this Spring. Sure he had an entire offseason to rest up, but it is concerning to see it extend into his first game considering the awful ST after falling off the cliff in the 2nd half with the bullpen overuse. Wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an injury.

Reactions: mrschwump
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT