ADVERTISEMENT

Proud and loyal BBN member passes

UKCATSFREAK

Senior
Apr 8, 2013
Fort Thomas, KY
On Friday morning, one of the proudest and most loyal members of our BBN passed away. My 87 yr old grandfather passed after a 3rd go around with cancer. He kicked cancers ass twice and gave up a hellava fight the 3rd time before his body failed his strong mind. If he had been 20 yrs younger with a stronger body, I'm sure he would've kicked its ass this time as well. He was the strongest, bravest, and most generous man that I will ever know. The man was more of a father to me as he raised me since the age of 8 years old. A veteran of WWII as well as the Cuban Missile Crisis, he served his country proudly for over 20 years and earned numerous medals of valor. He was also stationed on the quarantine line during the Cuban missile crisis aboard a Naval destroyer.
I remember countless nights of game watching with him throughout the years. Watching Bowie and Turpin as child to Mashburn and Ford as a young teenager then onto Delk and Mercer as a teenager and all the teams through the years up to this past season has been a lifelong passion for my grandfather and I. Even as an infant we would watch the late 70's teams with me on his lap. Even if we were apart for games, we would almost always talk after games about how they went.
This last loss was extremely difficult for me, I felt it may be the last team that he would get to see, as he started to get sick around February. I prayed and prayed that they would somehow complete this undefeated run because I knew it would give him so much joy and happiness. Although it wasn't meant to be for this team, I am comforted by the hundreds of game nights and 4 titles that we shared throughout the years and I will always save him a seat as I sit down to watch our Cats. He will always have a seat for the games.
So, I thought it would be fitting for me to acknowledge his passion and love for his Cats with my own little tribute to him on here. It just felt necessary for me to honor him this way. Had he been familiar with computers and phones, he would have loved a forum such as this. He loved to talk about the Cats and loved to give his opinion of everything Cats, so I know he would have loved a site such as this. He was just born of another generation before phones and computers ruled our world. So, if ya got a candle around ya, light it up for one of our proudest and truest members. I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks all!

On Friday morning, one of the proudest and most loyal members of our BBN passed away. My 87 yr old grandfather passed after a 3rd go around with cancer. He kicked cancers ass twice and gave up a hellava fight the 3rd time before his body failed his strong mind. If he had been 20 yrs younger with a stronger body, I'm sure he would've kicked its ass this time as well. He was the strongest, bravest, and most generous man that I will ever know. The man was more of a father to me as he raised me since the age of 8 years old. A veteran of WWII as well as the Cuban Missile Crisis, he served his country proudly for over 20 years and earned numerous medals of valor. He was also stationed on the quarantine line during the Cuban missile crisis aboard a Naval destroyer.
I remember countless nights of game watching with him throughout the years. Watching Bowie and Turpin as child to Mashburn and Ford as a young teenager then onto Delk and Mercer as a teenager and all the teams through the years up to this past season has been a lifelong passion for my grandfather and I. Even as an infant we would watch the late 70's teams with me on his lap. Even if we were apart for games, we would almost always talk after games about how they went.
This last loss was extremely difficult for me, I felt it may be the last team that he would get to see, as he started to get sick around February. I prayed and prayed that they would somehow complete this undefeated run because I knew it would give him so much joy and happiness. Although it wasn't meant to be for this team, I am comforted by the hundreds of game nights and 4 titles that we shared throughout the years and I will always save him a seat as I sit down to watch our Cats. He will always have a seat for the games.
So, I thought it would be fitting for me to acknowledge his passion and love for his Cats with my own little tribute to him on here. It just felt necessary for me to honor him this way. Had he been familiar with computers and phones, he would have loved a forum such as this. He loved to talk about the Cats and loved to give his opinion of everything Cats, so I know he would have loved a site such as this. He was just born of another generation before phones and computers ruled our world. So, if ya got a candle around ya, light it up for one of our proudest and truest members. I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks all!

What an incredible loss brother. Sounds like a great man. Those guys are the best, and that generation will forever be the greatest. It produced these incredibly brave and noble men. I am sorry to hear we've lost another, as we need more, not less.

Sounds like a great American and proud BBN member. I'm sure he will be missed.

Sorry for your loss. One of the greatest things about being a sports fan is the bond it helps form with dads, sons, uncles, nephews, cousins, grandfathers, grandchildren, friends, etc.

Your Grandfather sounds like a great Man and a great American. I am very sorry for your loss and I will keep you and your family in my prayers during this tough time. I am sure there is a TV where he is headed and you will still be watching the games together.

Sounds like he was a great guy, I know you will miss him badly.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. This country needed, and still needs, men like him. Sounds like a role model for every young person, male or female.

So sorry for your loss, and as others have said, he was a great American, as well as a great UK fan.

Sorry for your loss. My father was in the navy in WW2 and we used to watch UK basketball when I was young. He died at the age of 53 so we didn't have as many UK memories as you did of your Grandfather. That generation was truly the greatest generation because of their sacrifice and work ethic. My father-in-law is an avid UK fan and he spent 20 years in the Air Force witha a tour of Korea in 53 and two tours of Vietnam. He calls each time UK is on TV to make sure he doesn't miss the game. I'm sure your Grandfather will be following the Cats from Heaven and will still be with you each time you watch the game. May God bless and be with you.

May God rest his soul and give you and the rest of the family peace and understanding that death is a final chapter of life here on this earth for all of us.
Honor his memory and pray that he will be in the house of the Lord and his son Jesus Christ.

Sounds a lot like the relationship I had with my grandfather. He was Korea vet and we watched or went to nearly every single UK football and basketball from time I was 6 in 91 until he passed in 2009. I can't tell you how sorry I am for your loss and I know he is with a pretty big group of fans watching from above

Thank all of you dearly, your kind words have really meant a lot. Logging on and seeing all of the comments brought great joy. People who are not a part of this fan base could never fully understand what this program means to a lot of us in the BBN. As I read all the kind words, I began to think about what this program means to a lot of us. It is more than just sports, more than just a child's game. It's part of who I am as person and has been a constant impact throughout my life up until now. Some of my best memories in my life revolve around these teams. Its a way for families to bond with one another when they otherwise may not. Its a way for families to all get together and spend quality time with each other when they otherwise would not. Its just so much more than a child's game to us and unless you are apart of it, you will never fully understand it. It truly is who we are. Thanks again for all the kind words. It really meant a lot to read these comments. It brought a big smile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT