ADVERTISEMENT

Poythress will be great next year

Jesus man, we are talking about the top prospect(skal) in the world. Lee is not and will not be better than him. I love the kid but damn dude come on.

Skal is the closest thing to AD that we have seen, he could be scary good.

Reactions: brianpoe
Can and do believe...i called for Ulis early and often and got laughed at too...we see how that turned out...just sit back and watch Lee be the big man constant come tourney time....i aint going anywhete i will take all the crap if im wrong

Did you post on the UL board a few years ago?

Siva > Wall...?

Reactions: KyFord
Anyone who hasn't already seen it should go watch AP's first game in a UK uniform versus Duke. The potential he displayed in that game will give you chills! Hope he's able to reach those heights again this year.

That game was nearly 4 years ago, and he hasn't approached that level since. Perhaps that game was the outlier.

I'm not saying players don't improve on their skills, but expecting Poythress to add a handle &/or a respectable long range jump-shoot is a bit wishful thinking after he;s made zero progress on his handle in 3 yrs + has actually regressed as shooter.

He's pretty much what he is - purely a rim finishing, undersized PF. That holds minimal value in now in the NBA, since the one of the main reasons small-ball is becoming a thing is because teams want to maximize their floor spacing + want to take the opposing bigs off-the bounce.

I'm solely talking about him as a NBA prospect. I think next season will be his best of his career due to playing his real position full time + having 3 playmaking guards.

I think Alex has a better stroke than you realize. 12 to 15 feet is a reasonable distance for him. Don't confuse what he's asked to do with what he's capable of.

I agree with comment above!!!!!!! Just because willis or Hawkins dont have 19 stars by there name doesnt mean they cant play...look at kid at loserville??? He got to play point and they went to elite 8...nobody can play sittin on the bench....in other news...i think Lee should start over Skal but thats to outside the box thinking to be comprehended here

Name me one player ever that had that many stars(19, you said it not me).

Lee is better than Skal. ... Lee has been playing and practicing against great players for 2 plus years.....Skal cant say that...Lee will school him at will all summer

I knew you were a troll. This confirms it. Nobody is that dumb.

What in the world would you be basing this thread on? With the exception of a couple of exhibition games, he has been hanging out on the floor like has nothing better to do.

That game was nearly 4 years ago, and he hasn't approached that level since. Perhaps that game was the outlier.
Lets not act like AP hasn't been a major glue guy all those years he played. And has stepped up in crucial moments for the team.

Omg some of you are so ridiculous. Take off your blue glasses every once in a while. Everybody is not going to be a superstar. Glue guy lol. I guy we really missed that on last years one loss team.

This is my concern. Athletes get over these knee injuries, but it takes a lot of work. I understand Alex's recovery is more or less on schedule, but he hasn't been cleared to play and isn't expected to be 100% until at least October or November. The OP concerns me a little because I don't think people should just assume Alex will play like nothing has happened.
FWIW. I went to a small birthday get together Friday night. Alex's high school coach was there. He said Alex's rehab is going very well and Alex is now dunking.

Poy needs to look at how Bennett played with Murray and do similar. Poy can rack up on the pick and roll with Murray/ Briscoe/ Ulis etc

I knew you were a troll. This confirms it. Nobody is that dumb.[/QUOTE]

First he slams Cal for the Wisky game, but a lot of us did.
Then he slams Cal claiming he is holding Lee back.
Then he says Briscoe may not qualify academically.
Then he says Lee is better than Skal.

Along the way he has made numerous other questionable posts in his short time here...

I was at that game in Atlanta. Sat with Mercer, Anderson and Dale Brown. Poy definitely showed out, but hasn't since then.

As 5star mentioned he has lost confidence in his outside shot, not sure that he ever had handles.

Most of us agree he is a 4. Assuming he gets his hops back and turns up the intensity on rebounds his play will be vital to our success (and his own).

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
I think Alex has a better stroke than you realize. 12 to 15 feet is a reasonable distance for him. Don't confuse what he's asked to do with what he's capable of.

He literally missed all his outside shots last season before he went down + his shooting motion is really stiff.

After two seasons of non-shooting & regression, it shouldn't be expected of him to make outside baskets.

Lets not act like AP hasn't been a major glue guy all those years he played. And has stepped up in crucial moments for the team.

Definitely not saying he hasn't been an integral part of the team. But to use the Duke game from 2011 as evidence of what he can do is wrong. As I said, that game is an outlier compared to the other 70 or so games he has played.

Definitely not saying he hasn't been an integral part of the team. But to use the Duke game from 2011 as evidence of what he can do is wrong. As I said, that game is an outlier compared to the other 70 or so games he has played.

I think it is evidence of what he can do. But something definitely happened mentally. He attacked the boards nonstop that game, he has shown flashes like in the previous final four run, but man it has never been consistent.

He has certainly regressed in his overall game and I can only suggest it is confidence...

Why do several posters on this board think Poythress played against Duke 4 years ago? That game was played less than 3 years ago in the world I live in. Also in my world, called reality, Poythress didn't play for UK in 2011. We won the Championship in 2012 and I'm 100% sure Alex was not on that team. I don't understand how some people construct their timelines of events, but its annoying and stupid.

It's like when posters say a senior player has been on a team for "10 years" or "forever". Did these people not go to college, or high school even? There is freshman year, sophomore year, junior year and senior year. That's 4 years, same for everybody. Obviously you have 5th year for redshirts and sometimes a 6th for a regular RS and medical RS. I just don't understand why fans can't figure out such a simple concept.

Why do several posters on this board think Poythress played against Duke 4 years ago? That game was played less than 3 years ago in the world I live in. Also in my world, called reality, Poythress didn't play for UK in 2011. We won the Championship in 2012 and I'm 100% sure Alex was not on that team. I don't understand how some people construct their timelines of events, but its annoying and stupid.

LOL so true, but in Cali's defense many of us want to push 2013 back as far as possible!

Reactions: BigKari
I think it is evidence of what he can do. But something definitely happened mentally. He attacked the boards nonstop that game, he has shown flashes like in the previous final four run, but man it has never been consistent.

He has certainly regressed in his overall game and I can only suggest it is confidence...

You just may be correct in that it may be his confidence. Even though UK lost that game, a lot of us were excited because we saw what Poythress could do. He just hasn't been that good again.

Troll???? What ecactly is a troll?? Please enlighten me....just because i think Lee should plat valuable minutes and a college freshman should know what a freaking adjective is doesnt make me or anyone else a troll....it means we dont just say everything Cal says is gospel....we can think for ourselves

Troll???? What ecactly is a troll?? Please enlighten me....just because i think Lee should plat valuable minutes and a college freshman should know what a freaking adjective is doesnt make me or anyone else a troll....it means we dont just say everything Cal says is gospel....we can think for ourselves

Lol if you disagree with someone on this board, to them, you are a troll. Thinking Lee is better than Labiss doesn't mean you're a troll, it just means youre wrong.

Big karl...how do you know Lee isnt bettet than Skal??? How do you know that?? Have you ever seen Skal play agonst a college team?? OKAFOR WAS a number one pick too...mortal lock write it down.
we saw how that worked out....Harrison were cant miss one and done...Booker 2-3 year player...these things change my friend

Big karl...how do you know Lee isnt bettet than Skal??? How do you know that?? Have you ever seen Skal play agonst a college team?? OKAFOR WAS a number one pick too...mortal lock write it down.
we saw how that worked out....Harrison were cant miss one and done...Booker 2-3 year player...these things change my friend

Its really this simple - Im sure all of us have seen the Hoop Summit. Skal dropped 20 pts + 6 blocks. He knocked down 2-4 mid-range Js, displayed a resemblance of a post-gane + finished thru contact.

He defended the rim great. He displayed awareness + timing, which resulted in 6 blocks.

^ These are things Lee has not shown in his 2 yrs here. He has zero shooting touch. He has no post game. His defensive awareness + IQ have been poor, leaving him to look lost.

Yes, its one game. But that was enough to see Skal's strengths.

Lee can't hit this shot in practice :

Ulis, my man, chill. You are absolutely right that things change. Lee is a great athlete, maybe a better overall athlete than Skal; Lee probably jumps higher and runs faster. Skal is a very polished offensive product, Lee honestly is not. Lee probably has a better grasp of Cals defensive scheme than Skal at this point, but give that a couple months and Skal will surpass him and he will be our rim protecter.

You are seeing something in Lee that just isn't there. He's a great kid and teammate, very good high energy player, and I bet you can't find a fan among us who doesn't love him and his energy on the floor and want to see him play more.

Last edited:

Good point..Okafor didn't turn out to be that good... goodness you are just plain being silly.

We have all seen Lee play against college teams for 2 years. Averaged 2 pts and 2 rebounds.

We didn't have to see John Wall play against college kids but we knew he was better than Ramon Harris who did play against college teams for 3 years.

Reactions: BigKari
Im saying okafor wasnt the top pick as everyone proclaimed...things chg....Lee doesnt average anything cuz he has never played...not his fault

Last time im saying this...Lee gets same minutes Willie got ladt 2 seasons he will have better numbers than Willie.....Lee if allowed to play 20 plus minutes will average double double....lets let it play out

He literally missed all his outside shots last season before he went down + his shooting motion is really stiff.

After two seasons of non-shooting & regression, it shouldn't be expected of him to make outside baskets.

And he only attempted 42 shots over 8 games before the injury and 7 of those were 3 pts attempt which were considerably beyond the 10 - 15 foot range I mentioned (which is hardly "outside"). Last year was such a small sample, I fail to see how one could draw any statistical significance from that. The year before he shot nearly 50% from the field, a year when offensive production was not his job. If you want to get picky about matters, he actually hit 42% of 33 attempts from three his freshman year.

Over the years, we've seen a lot of players score points that didn't do it on style. The reason I take time to discuss this is the fact that Poythress has not been called upon to score. It is reasonable to say he hasn't scored a great deal. There is no evidence whatsoever to say that he can't score except at the rim. As quick is the guy is, if he were to display a 10 - 15 foot jumper with the passing we should have available, it would be a nice option on the half court offense. I fully expect to see us use a lot of half court offense as we will likely see a bunch of zone again, given our superior athletes and youth.

Last time im saying this...Lee gets same minutes Willie got ladt 2 seasons he will have better numbers than Willie.....Lee if allowed to play 20 plus minutes will average double double....lets let it play out

You are just writing checks that it is unreasonable to expect Lee to cash. I fully expect Lee to give us very valuable minutes on defense. I also expect him to have very good potential on the boards. However, to compare him to WCS at this point is simply unfair to Lee.

I have to wonder if forecasting a double double average for Lee is simply a ploy to bash him later, if he falls short of those sorts of gaudy numbers.

Ulismyman, unless Lee has developed his post game exponentially this offseason, he's not going to be the type of player in our offense to average 10+ppg. The majority of scoring this season will come from our guards and Labissiere. Lee is a supplementary player on this roster, he may start early but will likely come off the bench for us whenever Poythress is 100%. I've always said Lee is an elite athlete learning to play basketball, he will get his chance this season and contribute with about 5 points, 5 boards and a couple blocks per game. That's a solid contribution in the context of this team, though some may not understand that. Lee will continue to get his points off hustle, energy, put backs, and lobs. I love having that type of player, hustle points are worth more even if you don't see it immediately on the scoreboard.

And he only attempted 42 shots over 8 games before the injury and 7 of those were 3 pts attempt which were considerably beyond the 10 - 15 foot range I mentioned (which is hardly "outside"). Last year was such a small sample, I fail to see how one could draw any statistical significance from that. The year before he shot nearly 50% from the field, a year when offensive production was not his job. If you want to get picky about matters, he actually hit 42% of 33 attempts from three his freshman year.

Over the years, we've seen a lot of players score points that didn't do it on style. The reason I take time to discuss this is the fact that Poythress has not been called upon to score. It is reasonable to say he hasn't scored a great deal. There is no evidence whatsoever to say that he can't score except at the rim. As quick is the guy is, if he were to display a 10 - 15 foot jumper with the passing we should have available, it would be a nice option on the half court offense. I fully expect to see us use a lot of half court offense as we will likely see a bunch of zone again, given our superior athletes and youth.

Of course last yr was in really low volume, but its kinda weird how he missed every jumpshot he took. Even his Soph. yr, he hit 24% of his 3s. His frosh season at this point just seems like an outlier + he only attempted 0.4 3s a game, hinting at that being a fluke.

Anyone with eyes notices how uncomfortable he looks when he's shooting. Its not natural to suggest rapid improvement with simply more reps.

Theres more evidence suggesting he's a non-shooter than he is. 1 season + some change of low shot making > 1 yr of low volume from deep.

I really like what Poy brings as a glue guy. His 13-14 tourney performance was super impactful & he never got credit for it, but com'on, its time to cut the cord on the outside-shot making expectations.

You could say the same things about Darius Miller prior to the 2011-2012 season as you currently can about Alex Poythress. It really surprises me how people forget this board calling Miller out for being scared of the big moments, inconsistent, and basically implying he was too scared/nervous to play here.

Much of that may have been true his first 3 years here, but in his senior season he showed us all the player we knew he could be, and provided that team with a "glue-guy" with senior leadership. Poitiers reminds me a lot of Miller in their personalities (both are quiet, reserved, but command respect based on who've they played with and what they have accomplished, PLUS both are/were excellent students, and thus highly intelligent players). That being said, Miller and Poythress obviously differ in their game styles, but we have enough guards/wings to more than compensate for that difference.

If Lee proves to be a defensive nightmare for teams, look for Poythress to provide that same spark off the bench that Darius Miller did for a national title run, although I fully expect Poythress to start and excel at the PF spot.

Of course last yr was in really low volume, but its kinda weird how he missed every jumpshot he took. Even his Soph. yr, he hit 24% of his 3s. His frosh season at this point just seems like an outlier + he only attempted 0.4 3s a game, hinting at that being a fluke.

Anyone with eyes notices how uncomfortable he looks when he's shooting. Its not natural to suggest rapid improvement with simply more reps.

Theres more evidence suggesting he's a non-shooter than he is. 1 season + some change of low shot making > 1 yr of low volume from deep.

I really like what Poy brings as a glue guy. His 13-14 tourney performance was super impactful & he never got credit for it, but com'on, its time to cut the cord on the outside-shot making expectations.

I look forward to pointing out how badly you are mistaken, given that he returns healthy. Somehow, I don't think you'll mind being wrong.

By the way, in fact, he did not miss all his jump shots, just to set the record straight. See: http://ncaa-basketball-players.pointafter.com/l/5000/Alex-Poythress

Last edited:
I look forward to pointing out how badly you are mistaken, given that he returns healthy. Somehow, I don't think you'll mind being wrong.

Lol i certainly wouldn't. Poythress is one of my favs, if he magically develops an outside shot, he not only increases our title chances, he gets to improve his dying draft stock. Who doesn't want to see Poy get drafted relatively high after all the chit he's been thru.

EDIT : Just double checked Hoop Math. Yeah, he didn't brick them all -2-14 on his 2pt Js. Umm…Yeah, thats still horrible.

Last edited:
Lol i certainly wouldn't. Poythress is one of my favs, if he magically develops an outside shot, he not only increases our title chances, he gets to improve his dying draft stock. Who doesn't want to see Poy get drafted relatively high after all the chit he's been thru.

I'm not sure our definition of "outside shot" is the same. I don't think he necessarily needs anything much beyond 15. 10 - 15 is hardly an outside shot in my opinion. Not that it matters, just clarifying where I would like to see him develop. I'd be happy if the longest shot he took all year was at the free throw stripe.

Jesus man, we are talking about the top prospect(skal) in the world. Lee is not and will not be better than him. I love the kid but damn dude come on.

Skal is the closest thing to AD that we have seen, he could be scary good.

I think Skal will be scary good.

Reactions: ulismyman
Lee could have transferred either of his seasons and started anywhere he wanted...instead he has stayed and waited his turn...its high time he got it

Lee could have transferred either of his seasons and started anywhere he wanted...instead he has stayed and waited his turn...its high time he got it

And? Doesn't mean he is better than Skal. Doesn't mean he will be able to shoot a free throw or dribble. He would have to learn a whole new system which is his biggest obstacle.

Again we all love the kid.

What is your obsession with him?

Why can't you see the obvious reasons for his lack of PT?

Why isn't your name Marcusmyman?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT