ADVERTISEMENT

Poythress will be great next year

lkc1234

Junior
Apr 12, 2007
Can you imagine Jamal Murray feeding Poythress the ball like he did Bennett tonight. With Ulis and Murray playing guards Scal and Poythress are going to thrive. I can't wait to see Murray in Kentucky blue. The kid is awesome.

Can you imagine Jamal Murray feeding Poythress the ball like he did Bennett tonight. With Ulis and Murray playing guards Scal and Poythress are going to thrive. I can't wait to see Murray in Kentucky blue. The kid is awesome.

I'm actually more excited about Lee and Willis getting more playing time. I'm curious as to what they can do in extended minutes. Will it be great, average, or poor. I'm guessing fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteCityCat1
I'm actually more excited about Lee and Willis getting more playing time. I'm curious as to what they can do inept ended minutes. Will it be great, average, or poor. I'm guessing fun.

I don't get why people think Willis is going to do anything other than get mop up minutes. Look at the kid. Does he even look like a basketball player? LOL. But seriously he'll ride the bench his whole career at UK. Don't expect anything else. Hawkins has a better chance of being a contributor IMO. Maybe not this year because of how stacked we are in the backcourt, but especially with him being a good defender I could see him being a really good backup his junior and senior seasons. There was a few times last year where he really looked good when he entered the platoon lol.

Following up on the title to the thread ... Alex will indeed be great if Cal finally lets him play the 4, even though he may theoretically be "undersized" for the position. Thus far in Alex's career, Cal has more or less wasted Alex's greatness by trying to make a 3 out of him. If Cal will just let Alex play around the basket for U.K. this season, and not worry about where Alex is going to go in the NBA draft in June, we'll finally see the beast that Alex can be -- and was in his very first game at U.K.

Just MHO, of course.

I don't get why people think Willis is going to do anything other than get mop up minutes. Look at the kid. Does he even look like a basketball player? LOL. But seriously he'll ride the bench his whole career at UK. Don't expect anything else. Hawkins has a better chance of being a contributor IMO. Maybe not this year because of how stacked we are in the backcourt, but especially with him being a good defender I could see him being a really good backup his junior and senior seasons. There was a few times last year where he really looked good when he entered the platoon lol.
I'm guessing you didn't see him play extended minutes in the Bahamas.

Following up on the title to the thread ... Alex will indeed be great if Cal finally lets him play the 4, even though he may theoretically be "undersized" for the position. Thus far in Alex's career, Cal has more or less wasted Alex's greatness by trying to make a 3 out of him. If Cal will just let Alex play around the basket for U.K. this season, and not worry about where Alex is going to go in the NBA draft in June, we'll finally see the beast that Alex can be -- and was in his very first game at U.K.

Just MHO, of course.

I don't believe he was wasting his greatness. I think he was doing his best to develop into the position his body is best suited for in the NBA. I think he realized going into the last season that his game just does not suit him on the wing and he is better excelling as an undersized 4 as opposed to a 3 that can't create off the dribble.

AP will do what he's done best in a Kentucky uniform as he's physically imposing his will on his way to the basket. But hopefully he's refining that jumper with all the time off also.

It's the same reason that you post that he will only get mop up minutes, it's good discussion.

I think he will be very solid and be the leader of this group. It would be nice if he did have a great year, though.

Hawkins has no chance of playing any significant minutes this coming seasons and likely will play no more in his time at UK. He simply is not good enough. He certainly is on a team that is overloaded with high quality guards and there just won't be any extra minutes. Assuming there is no platooning then he will be nothing more than a practice player. Willis may see more time since there is less depth in the frontcourt this season. He may get time simply because there may be situations where there is no one else to put in the game.

Reactions: JustthefaxMa'am
Very true, Ripcord. Alex will be undersized for a 4 in the league but in college he's pretty imposing at the position. None of the knocks on his game have ever been for lack of size, strength, or toughness (obviously not an issue as far as he's been used as a classic wing but he hasn't been exclusively even as a soph/jr).

If he's fully healthy we could see a Chuck Hayes with upgraded mobility, range, and offensive toolkit. Amazing prospect in the context of this team.

Anyone who hasn't already seen it should go watch AP's first game in a UK uniform versus Duke. The potential he displayed in that game will give you chills! Hope he's able to reach those heights again this year.

I can see Willis backing up Poythress at the 4. Lee backing up the 5. I look for the 4 spot to be in great shape. Alex does a great job of being physical and can rebound. When Willis comes in. He wont be as physical but he will open up the floor even more. I see no reason why Willis can't turn into a Kaminski type player. Frank got about the same minutes early in his career as Willis has. I want to see an explosive & aggressive Poythress though.

I really, really hope that Poy breaks out this year, but I will wait and see since we have been saying that every year he's been here.

I can see Willis backing up Poythress at the 4. Lee backing up the 5. I look for the 4 spot to be in great shape. Alex does a great job of being physical and can rebound. When Willis comes in. He wont be as physical but he will open up the floor even more. I see no reason why Willis can't turn into a Kaminski type player. Frank got about the same minutes early in his career as Willis has. I want to see an explosive & aggressive Poythress though.

Lee is going to get the lionshare of the backup minutes at the 4 and the 5. And the fact that some of our fans think Willis can turn into a Kaminsky type player really amuses me.

Why do so Kentucky fans want to put down our own players ? Even if you feel that way , why put it on here for the kid to read ? It says a lot about the writer.

Lee is going to get the lionshare of the backup minutes at the 4 and the 5. And the fact that some of our fans think Willis can turn into a Kaminsky type player really amuses me.

You really don't get it. It's not about that. It's about numbers and necessity. One person on this tread mentioned Kaminski btw. I guess some equals one unless I missed something.

I agree with comment above!!!!!!! Just because willis or Hawkins dont have 19 stars by there name doesnt mean they cant play...look at kid at loserville??? He got to play point and they went to elite 8...nobody can play sittin on the bench....in other news...i think Lee should start over Skal but thats to outside the box thinking to be comprehended here

I agree with comment above!!!!!!! Just because willis or Hawkins dont have 19 stars by there name doesnt mean they cant play...look at kid at loserville??? He got to play point and they went to elite 8...nobody can play sittin on the bench....in other news...i think Lee should start over Skal but thats to outside the box thinking to be comprehended here

Skal is the #1 pick in the draft, there is no chance Lee is starting over him.

Fingers crossed Poy returns 100 percent.
This is my concern. Athletes get over these knee injuries, but it takes a lot of work. I understand Alex's recovery is more or less on schedule, but he hasn't been cleared to play and isn't expected to be 100% until at least October or November. The OP concerns me a little because I don't think people should just assume Alex will play like nothing has happened.

Lee is better than Skal. ... Lee has been playing and practicing against great players for 2 plus years.....Skal cant say that...Lee will school him at will all summer

Lee is better than Skal. ... Lee has been playing and practicing against great players for 2 plus years.....Skal cant say that...Lee will school him at will all summer

Lee is not better than Skal, and Cal has said he will take talent over experience every time. Skal has a lot more talent than Lee. I think Marcus will contribute but he will not start.

I agree with you kyford..
.Skal will start but that doesnt mean i have to agree with that decision

You have said some really dumb things in your short time here but this one is the worst.

You are not the only person here who loves Marcus, however you are the only one here who can't see that Lee has trouble shooting, dribbling, and being in the right place on offense and defense.

Marcus played 5 minutes in our last game. He has averaged 2 pts and 2 rebounds in 2 years.

We all hope he shines through this year, but no matter how well he does he will never be the basketball player Skal already is. Marcus is not a natural player, he is an athlete, but the game doesn't come easy to him.

You continue with these weird posts about how Cal has not given Lee a chance the last couple of years and now he is better than the #1 projected NBA pick? Are you Marcus' momma?

Reactions: SosaUK and KyFord
Lee is not better than Skal, and Cal has said he will take talent over experience every time. Skal has a lot more talent than Lee. I think Marcus will contribute but he will not start.
Fan loyalty is a good thing. But many fans talk with their hearts, rather than with their brains. When it comes to the subject of Marcus Lee, some fans on this board predict all kinds of things out of line with what Lee has actually accomplished or what Lee actually appears capable of doing. Lee is a good player, on a team full of good players, many of whom are better than he is. Some people seem confused because of Lee's 5-star rating coming out of high school, and may not understand that 5 stars do not guarantee a high school player is already a complete player. For example, Kyle Wiltjer and Alex Poythress were 5 star players. Trevor Lacey, Rasheed Sulaiman, Kevin Ferrell, and Perry Ellis were 5 star players. Like all players, Lee has strengths and weaknesses. He is a great leaper with long arms, and an improving rebounder. But he has no offensive game at all, shoots less than 40% from the free throw line, is foul prone, and gets pushed off the low block by players with stronger legs. Lee is a good basketball player who will play a role again for our team. Labissiere is bigger, faster, more athletic, a better rebounder, and a much, much more effective scorer. However, as far as I can see, it is good enough to wait until they practice and let Calipari make this decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyFord and brianpoe

ZOwacdY.gif

Reactions: KyFord and brianpoe
Go back and watch Lee when he plays and i mean plays minutes not a 3 minute platoon stretch...people on this board just assume things without watching for themselves...Lee can play and if he is given the rope Willie was Lees numbers will dwarf Willies...i will be here to eat crow if that doesnt happen but it has to be even playing field....Marcus cant get yanked if he bricks a shot or free throws...willie got to play thru mistakes...Marcus hasnt been given that luxery...just sit back and you will see i was correct....i do know a little about this game

Go back and watch Lee when he plays and i mean plays minutes not a 3 minute platoon stretch...people on this board just assume things without watching for themselves...Lee can play and if he is given the rope Willie was Lees numbers will dwarf Willies...i will be here to eat crow if that doesnt happen but it has to be even playing field....Marcus cant get yanked if he bricks a shot or free throws...willie got to play thru mistakes...Marcus hasnt been given that luxery...just sit back and you will see i was correct....i do know a little about this game

Mirin troll game.

Just a couple of comments.

In regards to Poy being undersized at the four, I think that's up in the air. If this "small ball" trend holds in the NBA, then he might turn out to be a nearly perfect size. I think it comes down to Poy making a full recovery and building on his skills in regards to ball handling and developing a consistent 10 -15 foot jumper that he will take without hesitation. I still say that Poythress has a frighteningly quick step or two steps in the paint when the opportunity presents itself.

When it comes to Lee and Willis, I see the posters that bash them and the guys building them up as equally bad. Lee has proven himself in various games. He needs to work on many aspects of his game to improve consistency. Willis has to work like a dog, simply put. Both guys have the opportunity to earn a substantial number of minutes, Lee in particularly. Neither deserves a second they didn't earn. I don't see Willis being from Kentucky earning him any time at all. I think he'd be ashamed if it did.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Lest you forget we lose to Michigan 2 years ago without Marcus...say all you want about Aarons heroics but we are down 15 at half without LEE

Just a couple of comments.

In regards to Poy being undersized at the four, I think that's up in the air. If this "small ball" trend holds in the NBA, then he might turn out to be a nearly perfect size. I think it comes down to Poy making a full recovery and building on his skills in regards to ball handling and developing a consistent 10 -15 foot jumper that he will take without hesitation. I still say that Poythress has a frighteningly quick step or two steps in the paint when the opportunity presents itself.

I'm not saying players don't improve on their skills, but expecting Poythress to add a handle &/or a respectable long range jump-shoot is a bit wishful thinking after he;s made zero progress on his handle in 3 yrs + has actually regressed as shooter.

He's pretty much what he is - purely a rim finishing, undersized PF. That holds minimal value in now in the NBA, since the one of the main reasons small-ball is becoming a thing is because teams want to maximize their floor spacing + want to take the opposing bigs off-the bounce.

I'm solely talking about him as a NBA prospect. I think next season will be his best of his career due to playing his real position full time + having 3 playmaking guards.

Lest you forget we lose to Michigan 2 years ago without Marcus...say all you want about Aarons heroics but we are down 15 at half without LEE

Lol just stop man. You honestly can't believe what you're posting regarding Lee.

Reactions: brianpoe
Can and do believe...i called for Ulis early and often and got laughed at too...we see how that turned out...just sit back and watch Lee be the big man constant come tourney time....i aint going anywhete i will take all the crap if im wrong

Can and do believe...i called for Ulis early and often and got laughed at too...we see how that turned out...just sit back and watch Lee be the big man constant come tourney time....i aint going anywhete i will take all the crap if im wrong

Uh, a lot of people were as well, so this isn't exactly bold.

We've all seen Lee play. He simply lacks the offensive touch, instincts and overall IQ Skal has at a younger age.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT