ADVERTISEMENT

Post your name here

These threads are so damned stupid.

I guess Im not a dedicated Reds fan and cant celebrate a World Series because Ive pointed out the front office needs to spend some damned money to buy players we need.

I guess I cant celebrate the Bengals finally winning a playoff game because Ive called Mike Brown a cheapskate cocksucker and that Marvin Lewis needed to go 10 yrs ago.

This UK team is playing bad basketball. I dont know why a section of our fan base tries to pride themselves on ignoring it, like it somehow makes you a better person. It doesnt. It makes you naive. Calling them out for being bad right now doesnt make anyone a bad fan. It makes them realistic.

When the team plays bad, they will be called out for it. When they play well, they will be praised. UK fandom isnt an either or proposition. Frankly this notion is completely assinine. If you are OK with the way things are right now, you need your head checked. It doesnt mean if they get things figured out they wont deserve praise.

They played OK yesterday, better than Utah and Georgia Tech. There's a difference between getting beat in a 40 minute boxing match, v getting beat because of poor coaching and half assed effort on the floor. Im not going to "rah-rah" the latter and thats what we've seen several games this year

The problem with threads and posts like this is they do very little to delineate between the “Cal sucks” people and the “well, this isn’t going great right now” people. Rational comments and criticisms get completely lambasted and everyone gets thrown in the same bucket. I mean I’m fine with calling out the FIRE CAL NOW guys but what’s problematic about that is that most don’t fall into that category. But make one criticism, and I’ll be damn if you aren’t thrown in there all the same.

Last edited:
they won't do it just like Catsnroses won't answer the simple question of what his expectations are. Because this segment of our fan base is title or bust and they know deep down that's unrealistic and idiotic.

they won't do it just like Catsnroses won't answer the simple question of what his expectations are. Because this segment of our fan base is title or bust and they know deep down that's unrealistic and idiotic.

I would like to hear you elaborate a little more on your opinion that “nothing matters until March” and then that “March is nothing more than a crapshoot.” I’m still trying to reconcile the same person holding both those opinions simultaneously in my head.

The season isnt static, it's dynamic. Its really that simple. If you cant objectively change your perspective on things each game, Im not sure what to even say.

The OSU loss, isolated, isnt worth a freak out. Theyre good and overall, we didnt play terribly. We weren't great. But the first half of Utah...pitiful effort. GT game....going through the motions. Im not going to blindly applaud that.

That doesnt mean I wont be praising them if we run UofL off the court by 20 and knock off the first 5 SEC games comfortably. Thats what we ALL want. But these calls for blind loyalty, are frankly, really really dumb. Dynamic....not static.

What does knowing someone’s name get you? I have a host of family members and KY friends that I know well that have no problem criticizing Cal this year (and really the last 4), openly and right out there without any sugar coating.

If you get their names, what’s your plan? To Twitter bully them or find them on Facebook to belittle them as “not a true fan”??

I guess Im not a dedicated Reds fan and cant celebrate a World Series because Ive pointed out the front office needs to spend some damned money to buy players we need.

I guess I cant celebrate the Bengals finally winning a playoff game because Ive called Mike Brown a cheapskate cocksucker and that Marvin Lewis needed to go 10 yrs ago.

This UK team is playing bad basketball. I dont know why a section of our fan base tries to pride themselves on ignoring it, like it somehow makes you a better person. It doesnt. It makes you naive. Calling them out for being bad right now doesnt make anyone a bad fan. It makes them realistic.

When the team plays bad, they will be called out for it. When they play well, they will be praised. UK fandom isnt an either or proposition. Frankly this notion is completely assinine. If you are OK with the way things are right now, you need your head checked. It doesnt mean if they get things figured out they wont deserve praise.

They played OK yesterday, better than Utah and Georgia Tech. There's a difference between getting beat in a 40 minute boxing match, v getting beat because of poor coaching and half assed effort on the floor. Im not going to "rah-rah" the latter and thats what we've seen several games this year

Good lord this is a fantastic post. Quoting for the simple fact I can only like it once. Fans like the OP make me dislike our fans more so than those who just like to discuss the deficiencies we are seeing in the team and what must be improved upon to give us shot when it matters most. The rah rah fans know little about the game it seems so that’s really all they got. Sure put my name on the OP damn little list....cats2010

Actually I think I’m more Final 4 or bust. The last two years having a road to the FF paved for us and then pissing it away has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don’t think “Cal sucks” but I get tired of the awful half court offense and it doesn’t seem to be changing.

I want everyone of our supposed fans who run it about Cal sucking to sign their name right here. That way when we go to our next final four I don’t wanna hear you all celebrating like you been here all along.
So, anyone that has honest criticism about Cal or this current team isn't a real fan? What is your agenda here?

And BTW, real UK fans celebrate championships, not FFs.

Reds and Bengals fan here as well. I trash the Reds and Bengals front offices and players at times.
But I maybe alone in my opinion here but I will never bad mouth a UK player. Most of these guys are 18 or 19 year old kids. They are not being payed. They are not pros. I just can not do it.
Cal needs to adjust things change things up. But he has had tremendous success doing things the same way for years. So he is far too set in his ways. At the very least he needs to fire some ast. coaches.

Heck, I'll take the bait. Having been married to my beautiful Kentucky wife for 31 years who is also a distant cousin of Cawood Ledford, I am a Kentucky fan second, Hog Fan first, but I definitely don't see things through blue tinted glasses.

I have never liked Calipari or Barbee, but it goes way back before Kentucky for me. Calipari is a fantastic recruiter, but in my opinion, average game day coach and average coach at developing talent. He thrives on having the best players in the nation or conference such as Davis, Rose and Camby, but struggles with offensive/defensive adjustments and in game strategy.

Yes, he was won a ton of games at Kentucky with superior talent, but again, in my opinion, he could/should have had another championship or two with the top talent, and the way that the tournament bracket has opened up for him recently.

Reds and Bengals fan here as well. I trash the Reds and Bengals front offices and players at times.
But I maybe alone in my opinion here but I will never bad mouth a UK player. Most of these guys are 18 or 19 year old kids. They are not being payed. They are not pros. I just can not do it.
Cal needs to adjust things change things up. But he has had tremendous success doing things the same way for years. So he is far too set in his ways. At the very least he needs to fire some ast. coaches.
I hear you, but if the pay for play thing is going forward they cant have their cake and eat it too. You come to UK because of the perks and support and all that stuff. That doesn't mean youre immune from being criticized for playing poorly. If anything that helps prep them for what theyll deal with in NY and LA.

But I say that meaning legit criticism. Not dogging out and name calling. No one deserves that and I agree. But if I see a player out there doggin it, theyre not off limits to me because they're 18 or 19. Those days are over. If these guys are big enough to take money for ads and stuff, theyre big enough to hear from the fans about poor play. Construcively. Not talking about the aholes on social media who harass these guys. Just talking about discussing it on here.

Heck, I'll take the bait. Having been married to my beautiful Kentucky wife for 31 years who is also a distant cousin of Cawood Ledford, I am a Kentucky fan second, Hog Fan first, but I definitely don't see things through blue tinted glasses.

I have never liked Calipari or Barbee, but it goes way back before Kentucky for me. Calipari is a fantastic recruiter, but in my opinion, average game day coach and average coach at developing talent. He thrives on having the best players in the nation or conference such as Davis, Rose and Camby, but struggles with offensive/defensive adjustments and in game strategy.

Yes, he was won a ton of games at Kentucky with superior talent, but again, in my opinion, he could/should have had another championship or two with the top talent, and the way that the tournament bracket has opened up for him recently.
I love Cal and what he's done. But a lot of us, behind closed doors, would agree with your third point.

I would like to hear you elaborate a little more on your opinion that “nothing matters until March” and then that “March is nothing more than a crapshoot.” I’m still trying to reconcile the same person holding both those opinions simultaneously in my head.

Ok. A single elimination tourney is the hardest to win in any sport. Therefore its a bit of a crapshoot. All you do is hope youre hot at the right time to make your way through the tourney.
Its not nothing matters till March, but obviously playing your best then is how younwin titles. The regular season wins and losses only matter as you win enough and play well enough to get a seat at the table in the dance. Work out yoir flaws, grow and hopefully use the regular season to find your rhythm and best lineup to play your best ball in March.

Its not that difficult to understand. Its not seeding in March as much as match ups and how youre playing. And sorry if you don't like my phrasing but what else do u call a 68 team single elimination tourney. I used crapshoot, maybe thats not the right word but its anything but a guarantee for the tops seeds as most tourneys prove.

Reactions: Neue Regel
The problem with threads and posts like this is they do very little to delineate between the “Cal sucks” people and the “well, this isn’t going great right now people.” Rational comments and criticisms get completely lambasted and everyone gets thrown in the same bucket. I mean I’m fine with calling out the FIRE CAL NOW guys but what’s problematic about that is that most don’t fall into that category. But make one criticism, and I’ll be damn if you aren’t thrown in there all the same.
There is definitely a difference in the complainers that can’t stand Cal and the Cal needs to be better and the wtf is wrong with this team (I’m pissed at losing) crowd.
The last two are generally ok and expected. It’s the asshats I the first group that make these boards insufferable sometimes

I love Cal. Think he's the only person on the planet for this job. ...but It's OK to criticize the highest paid coach, that doesn't have any sense of an Offense. I'll post my name if you can give me one example of Cal outcoaching someone.

Its not the rare poster like you with rational criticism. Its the idiots who want him gone.

images

So, anyone that has honest criticism about Cal or this current team isn't a real fan? What is your agenda here?

And BTW, real UK fans celebrate championships, not FFs.

The threads last night and today go way beyond criticism. It’s been pure hate against our coach and our team. Criticism is ok. Hating not ok. You need to read the board more closely.

Ok. A single elimination tourney is the hardest to win in any sport. Therefore its a bit of a crapshoot. All you do is hope youre hot at the right time to make your way through the tourney.
Its not nothing matters till March, but obviously playing your best then is how younwin titles. The regular season wins and losses only matter as you win enough and play well enough to get a seat at the table in the dance. Work out yoir flaws, grow and hopefully use the regular season to find your rhythm and best lineup to play your best ball in March.

Its not that difficult to understand. Its not seeding in March as much as match ups and how youre playing. And sorry if you don't like my phrasing but what else do u call a 68 team single elimination tourney. I used crapshoot, maybe thats not the right word but its anything but a guarantee for the tops seeds as most tourneys prove.

I didn’t like your wording, no, and here’s why. Nothing matters until March! makes it easy to shrug off losses as no big deal. Doesn’t matter until March. Then if you lose in March? Well it’s just a crap shoot! It’s basically saying none of this matters. And certainly as a Kentucky fan, “none of this matters” has never in the past been the collective mindset. It ALL matters, that’s why we are who we are.

And while you say a top seed is anything but a guarantee, yes, that might be true. HOWEVER, look at the percentages. Top seeds, by the numbers, do much better in the tournament than lower seeds. It’s not even close.

I understand the argument of a single elimination tournament being incredibly difficult to win. That being said it doesn’t or shouldn’t excuse losses. It’s certainly not a crapshoot, as our best teams have had the most successes. If it was a crapshoot, why would the 1996 and 2012 teams be champions? It’s not a coincidence that as a whole, our best teams have the most tournament success.

The whole “it’s a crapshoot” thing is something I used to make fun of Kansas fans for saying. It’s what they all said to explain away their relative lack of championships. And now it’s permeating over here, and I frankly just cringe every time I see it.

Last edited:

So who's done a better job in the last decade, let alone with a roster of newbs in constant flux?

Who's your hire...based on what?

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Its not the rare poster like you with rational criticism. Its the idiots who want him gone.
Or the idiots that trash the players...
Do they give honestly think these kids are NOT trying their hardest to play nonAAU ball, not trying play defense, not trying to learn sets, not trying their damnedest to win/make shots AND not trying to become millionaires?

Reactions: stuway
Or the idiots that trash the players...
Do they give honestly think these kids are NOT trying their hardest to play nonAAU ball, not trying play defense, not trying to learn sets, not trying their damnedest to win/make shots AND not trying to become millionaires?
I don't think doubt they're trying. Me personally, I find myself wondering if some guys think just coming to Kentucky punches their NBA ticket.

I don't think doubt they're trying. Me personally, I find myself wondering if some guys think just coming to Kentucky punches their NBA ticket.
Yes
I don’t think we are immune; some only want the NBA and don’t care about winning for UK.
Those guys are EVERYWHERE, every year.
But, I think Cal “attempts” to weed out as many of those that he can...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT