ADVERTISEMENT

Popovich complaining about NBA

This is nothing new. For years, Popovich has been a critic of how prevalent the three-point shot has become, and how today’s rules have hamstrung the ability to play tough defense.

And he has a good point on both counts.

This is nothing new. For years, Popovich has been a critic of how prevalent the three-point shot has become, and how today’s rules have hamstrung the ability to play tough defense.

I agree with you.

297.png

If you go back to the brown ball used prior to the 1980 season, the three-point percentage would go down significantly.

Great coach , but can be a real Richard Head .
Dan, you got me on this one
I had a 3 am emergency call and got to sit down at 5 am to have my first cup of coffee and was reading RR.
I read your post and thought “who is Richard Head”
Perfect example why at my age you must have that first cup of coffee before you do anything.
Good job.

1. He has a point…NBA has turned into WWE with all the control officials have. It is designed to promote scoring at the peril of fairness to the defense The swipe thru fouls are just made up nonsense, driving into contact is a foul on defense, the pump fake and unnatural jump into defenders, etc. it’s all made up rules in last decade to benefit the offense (and NFL does the same thing)

2. But didn’t Pop start the “load management “ crap wjtb Ginobli, Duncan And Parker to keep them fresh for playoffs? I’d say that has hurt rhe game a ton as now guys routinely sit an entire year not to mention so many guys won’t play even 70 game a season now

3. As far as jacking threes a ton. Didn’t he sort of do that with his last title team with Danny Green, Matt Bonner, Patty Mills , Bruce Bowen , Etc. I agree too many guys are chucking contested threes. But he had plenty that did it

4. And didn’t Pop tank to get Tim Duncan? And shamelessly was the GM and fires the coach when they got Duncan to pair wjtb David Robinson?

1. He has a point…NBA has turned into WWE with all the control officials have. It is designed to promote scoring at the peril of fairness to the defense The swipe thru fouls are just made up nonsense, driving into contact is a foul on defense, the pump fake and unnatural jump into defenders, etc. it’s all made up rules in last decade to benefit the offense (and NFL does the same thing)

2. But didn’t Pop start the “load management “ crap wjtb Ginobli, Duncan And Parker to keep them fresh for playoffs? I’d say that has hurt rhe game a ton as now guys routinely sit an entire year not to mention so many guys won’t play even 70 game a season now

3. As far as jacking threes a ton. Didn’t he sort of do that with his last title team with Danny Green, Matt Bonner, Patty Mills , Bruce Bowen , Etc. I agree too many guys are chucking contested threes. But he had plenty that did it

4. And didn’t Pop tank to get Tim Duncan? And shamelessly was the GM and fires the coach when they got Duncan to pair wjtb David Robinson?
I got over the NBA in 1994. Eastern conference finals Indiana had defeated New York and at the very end referees absolutely gave New York the game. They called a foul that would have made Doug Shows blush. The commissioner was fine with it because he wanted a big market team in the finals for TV ratings and not a small market like Indiana. That's when I decided that I did not need to watch the WWE.

This was reinforced with Sacramento against the Lakers about 7 or 8 years later.

I got over the NBA in 1994. Eastern conference finals Indiana had defeated New York and at the very end referees absolutely gave New York the game. They called a foul that would have made Doug Shows blush. The commissioner was fine with it because he wanted a big market team in the finals for TV ratings and not a small market like Indiana. That's when I decided that I did not need to watch the WWE.

This was reinforced with Sacramento against the Lakers about 7 or 8 years later.
Great points. The Lakers and Kings was basically all out ref cheating

Great points. The Lakers and Kings was basically all out ref cheating
I watched through that year, though more sparingly. It was ridiculous.

I liked Nash and watched Phoenix. The series against the Spurs was also criminal. I remember seeing calls I could not explain and then later found out it was Donaghy.

I haven't watched much NBA at all since Nash.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
That got repeated again in the 99 conference finals between Indiana and New York, featuring a couple of the most bizarrely one-sided officiated games in NBA history (with the most memorable moment being that phantom foul that gifted Larry Johnson a four-point play in the final seconds).

The common theme in the most famously one-sided officiated NBA playoff games has always been a huge media market team getting the calls over a smaller market team. Seems the league wanted nothing to do with small midwestern market Indiana in the Finals over mega-market New York … just as they wanted nothing to do with little Sacramento in over LA.

I strongly agree. But it's not just the NBA, college basketball has emulated that, maybe just not as bad.

That got repeated again in the 99 conference finals between Indiana and New York, featuring a couple of the most bizarrely one-sided officiated games in NBA history (with the most memorable moment being that phantom foul that gifted Larry Johnson a four-point play in the final seconds).

The common theme in the most famously one-sided officiated NBA playoff games has always been a huge media market team getting the calls over a smaller market team. Seems the league wanted nothing to do with small midwestern market Indiana in the Finals over mega-market New York … just as they wanted nothing to do with little Sacramento in over LA.
The Pacers beat the Knicks in the playoffs in 1995, 1998 (winner of this played Bulls in Eastern Conference Finals...imagine ratings bonanza for Bulls Knicks to go to Finals in Jordan's last yr with Bulls) and 2000 (this one was the in the Eastern Conference Finals...imagine the ratings bonanza the NBA would have had if it was Lakers vs Knicks in finals instead of Lakers vs Pacers).

Altogether, the Pacers and Knicks played 6 times in the playoffs between 1993 and 2000, with each winning 3 series. Doesn't seem very favorable to the Knicks. Not sure where you guys are getting your information from.

Last edited:
The Pacers beat the Knicks in the playoffs in 1995, 1998 (winner of this played Bulls in Eastern Conference Finals...imagine ratings bonanza for Bulls Knicks to go to Finals in Jordan's last yr with Bulls) and 2000 (this one was the in the Eastern Conference Finals...imagine the ratings bonanza the NBA would have had if it was Lakers vs Knicks in finals instead of Lakers vs Pacers).

Altogether, the Pacers and Knicks played 6 times in the playoffs between 1993 and 2000, with each winning 3 series. Doesn't seem very favorable to the Knicks. Not sure where you guys are getting your information from.
In 1994, the knicks won game seven on a silver platter handed to them by David Stern. I watched it with my own eyes. I'm not sure why you could not understand what I wrote.

In 1994, the knicks won game seven on a silver platter handed to them by David Stern. I watched it with my own eyes. I'm not sure why you could not understand what I wrote.
I completely understand what you wrote. You indicated Stern wanted the big market Knicks team to progress in the playoffs rather than the small market Pacers. If that is really true, why on earth would have he allowed the Pacers to beat the Knicks in 1998 and 2000, when made for TV matchups of Bulls Knicks to go to Finals in 1998 or Lakers Knicks finals in 2000 would have been more profitable for the NBA than the small market Pacers?

I completely understand what you wrote. You indicated Stern wanted the big market Knicks team to progress in the playoffs rather than the small market Pacers. If that is really true, why on earth would have he allowed the Pacers to beat the Knicks in 1998 and 2000, when made for TV matchups of Bulls Knicks to go to Finals in 1998 or Lakers Knicks finals in 2000 would have been more profitable for the NBA than the small market Pacers?
1994 did not have Michael Jordan.

1998 did have Michael Jordan.

Any more questions?

1994 did not have Michael Jordan.

1998 did have Michael Jordan.

Any more questions?
1995 had Jordan, and the Bulls lost to Orlando in semis. Wouldn't have Stern wanted Bulls to be in finals vs Rockets to showcase MJs return and milk that for as long as possible?

2000 didn't have MJ...Knicks Lakers would have blown Pacers Lakers tv ratings out of the water...

1995 had Jordan, and the Bulls lost to Orlando in semis. Wouldn't have Stern wanted Bulls to be in finals vs Rockets to showcase MJs return and milk that for as long as possible?

2000 didn't have MJ...Knicks Lakers would have blown Pacers Lakers tv ratings out of the water...
Go back and watch the end of game 7 pacers and NY, and we will talk afterwards.

I believe it was Walter McCarty, when asked why he shoots so many 3's, who replied "because there aren't any 4's"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT