ADVERTISEMENT

Pope/Roster

Feb 28, 2024
So who should we expect Pope to bring on board in the near future? I keep seeing a few names of players he is bringing and recruits he has made contact with with...but nothing confirmed so far. Gonna need to build an entire roster so hopefully we start that process shortly. GO CATS!

So who should we expect Pope to bring on board in the near future? I keep seeing a few names of players he is bringing and recruits he has made contact with with...but nothing confirmed so far. Gonna need to build an entire roster so hopefully we start that process shortly. GO CATS!
The tall guard from OKSt., the Amari stud from Drexel, and two more guys we still don't know that Mitch alluded to in the KSR interview. I have to assume the named guys aren't them.

Pope is also after 5* SF shooting extraordinaire, Liam McNeely. 247 CBs have him returning to his initial IU commitment or a switch to Kansas, FWIW.

KSR today said yesterday was the best recruiting video ever. 2 portal guys reach out to Jones last night asking how to get a hold of Coach Pope. KSR also saying some exciting assistants are in the works. Pope can’t have Ulis on staff as a grad assistant it’s a 2 year max job. KY would like John Wall as the grad assistant

We're about to find out if any of our recruits signed with UK because of UK, or because of Cal. I'm hoping Pope can retain 1 or 2 of those.
Players do t sign with a school bc of the school. Unless that’s where they’re from or if their dad played there or something

Reactions: ukfan1622
We're about to find out if any of our recruits signed with UK because of UK, or because of Cal. I'm hoping Pope can retain 1 or 2 of those.
You know that there are more than 2 reasons to play ball somewhere right? It isn’t this or that, him or us. A recruit/player has numerous things to consider when deciding where is best for them to play.

These are humans who are choosing what is best for THEIR future. If these were your kids and you were guiding them, would you tell them them most important thing is playing for the name on the front of your jersey?

No. You would advise them to make a decision based on where they thought provided them the most opportunity for success (whatever that may be) and whatever makes them happy. Yes, someone can choose to be a team player and have pride about playing for Kentucky, but that is secondary to any personal reasons for playing here in ANY situation.

KSR today said yesterday was the best recruiting video ever. 2 portal guys reach out to Jones last night asking how to get a hold of Coach Pope. KSR also saying some exciting assistants are in the works. Pope can’t have Ulis on staff as a grad assistant it’s a 2 year max job. KY would like John Wall as the grad assistant
Wall as a grad assistant would be a huge splash. Would help with recruiting and in a similar way Rondo would but without the baggage and potential for coaching clashes.

I bet yesterday is the reason Big Z is meeting with Pope today. I think that all the negative publicity over hiring a lesser name coach and what support he would have was scaring them off.

Doesn’t CMP have to bring a few BYU guys to implement his different offensive and defensive sets? The offense looks much more complex and Mark says he plays a mix of defenses.

Reactions: NociHTTP
The tall guard from OKSt., the Amari stud from Drexel, and two more guys we still don't know that Mitch alluded to in the KSR interview. I have to assume the named guys aren't them.

Pope is also after 5* SF shooting extraordinaire, Liam McNeely. 247 CBs have him returning to his initial IU commitment or a switch to Kansas, FWIW.
I have seen this posted a few times and I guess a lot of people misunderstood what Mitch said. He did not say there were 2 players committed or committing or coming to UK. He only said there were 2 guys that had called Pope that he tried to recruit to BYU and weren't interested but were more interested now that he was at UK.

I have seen this posted a few times and I guess a lot of people misunderstood what Mitch said. He did not say there were 2 players committed or committing or coming to UK. He only said there were 2 guys that had called Pope that he tried to recruit to BYU and weren't interested but were more interested now that he was at UK.
Right. I should've been clearer.

Reactions: JwUKFan11
That would be dope, Wall is a fresh enough name to get recruits. His mixtapes are legend.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Why are guys reaching out to Matt Frickin Jones for Mark Popes contact info. That sounds ridiculous and made up. After knowing what my nephew went through during his football recruiting, he filled out NCAA paperwork to register as a recruit and once he qualified, they provided him any contact information he wanted, but also put his name and contact info in a database coaches use to reach out to him. They can also contact through any social media means.

Right. I should've been clearer.
Sorry for my previous post then, it sounded like they contacted Jones to get to Pope. However if guys were reaching out to Pope because they want to play for him just not at BYU, speaks loudly as to what kind of uphill battle he faced recruiting there.

Reactions: JPFisher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT