ADVERTISEMENT

Pope Killed it on field of 68

For a High Intellect guy, he comes across as a simpleton...a kid hanging out with his buddies. He stutters and stammers and searches for words.

But you know, he's about as genuine and real as it gets. A nice guy. No pretense. No agenda. Transparent. This is going to be fun.

Agree with the second paragraph, not the first. Pretty articulate actually and doesn’t come off like a simpleton at all to me. I would classify Tubby as one that stuttered or stammered.

Reactions: KFuqua
I love what Jason Hart had to say about Travis Perry.

47:53 mark.

Anyone who hasn’t seen Travis play, and is sleeping on this kid, is gonna be shocked. I’m just telling y’all right now.

Travis isn’t the athlete Reed was, but he does two things at an elite level: he knows how to get open, and he knows how to find his teammates when they get open. He never stops moving and will absolutely pick a defense apart. He is not Josh Carrier. He is a basketball savant. His game is actually very similar to another Travis we had from western Ky who I’m sure you all remember very fondly (on the court not off it LOL), except Perry is obviously bigger. And he will be just as good, trust me.

For a High Intellect guy, he comes across as a simpleton...a kid hanging out with his buddies. He stutters and stammers and searches for words.
Stuttering and stammering don’t have anything to do with intelligence.

A good friend used to have a stammer you could hang your coat on. Not a genius or anything but he gets by.

Anyway, iirc it’s akin to handedness and language development.

Yea Right GIF

"Simpleton" is about the last word that comes to mind when Mark Pope is talking. C'mon now.

I still think Perry will struggle with the athleticism at this level at first, same for Noah, and that Chandler will have 2-years of rust to knock off. All 3 will need to get stronger, but all 3 may have their moments next year, AND that all 3 have a good chance to be solid contributors as SOPHs.

I still think Perry will struggle with the athleticism at this level at first, same for Noah, and that Chandler will have 2-years of rust to knock off. All 3 will need to get stronger, but all 3 may have their moments next year, AND that all 3 have a good chance to be solid contributors as SOPHs.
I know people keep saying this, but he had no issues in all the big tournaments and AAU circuits playing against all the athletes who were superior athletically. He uses his head to outsmart most of them, kinda like Reed last year. I have seen Travis play numerous times, and Ill just say, he will figure it out.

Last edited:
I actually attended the 1969 Final Four at Freedom Hall in Louisville. I was 16 years old and went with a high school buddy (who was a Kentucky state champion in the discus throw). We had a blast. As you said, UCLA (with then-Lew Alcindor) beat Purdue in the title game. The other participants were Drake (yes Drake) and North Carolina (with Charlie Scott, a tremendous player who had broken UNC's color barrier). Just a fantastic experience for a young basketball fan.
Freedom Hall used to be THE place for big time college basketball. Final Fours were held there quite often back then if I remember correctly.

Much like Farmer, Pelphrey, and Feldhaus. It doesn't matter how "athletic" you are if you're in the right system with the right coach. Pope is looking for good BASKETBALL players, who may not look or be "athletic". If a guy can shoot it lights out it doesn't matter if he's slow or can't jump as long as he can fill it up.

Only thing weird about this is when Goodman is talking about which roster so far he likes best. He says Arkansas. And that's fine because it's his opinion. But then here's the thing. He starts out saying it's because Johnell Davis is a dude. And then he says the reason it's so valuable that Johnell Davis is a dude is that "you never know how these freshmen are gonna play" and then he lists fully half of Cal's roster.

Why do that? I don't get it, by his own logic. If you're willing to say you don't have any idea how fully half the roster is going to play, why also call them the better roster? Again, he's entitled to say it and think it. It may even be right for all I know. But why phrase it that way? That's just weird imo.
Because on paper, they probably are a better roster from a lofty star ranking aspect. but we've seen how far that gets Cal. SUre He may have the prettier Roster, I hope we have the prettier TEAM.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Yea Right GIF

"Simpleton" is about the last word that comes to mind when Mark Pope is talking. C'mon now.
Cmon....Read it again.
"For a High Intellect guy" - my words.
Coach Pope dropped out of Medical School in Ivy League.
His IQ is not questioned.

Simpleton is HIS choice. Clearly...for a purpose.
And I like it. Kids will double like it.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT