ADVERTISEMENT

Pope Killed it on field of 68

What little bit of video I've seen of Perry he reminds me of Rick Mount when
he has the ball.
Whoa, Blouman ... you're getting back into my vintage ! Just for all of y'all kids on the board - Rick Mount was a three-time All-American at Purdue, 1968-70. He was a scoring machine ! He took Purdue to the NCAA Final Game in 1969, but lost to UCLA in Kareem's last college game. Mount played five seasons in the old ABA, but a shoulder injury ended his pro career early.

For a High Intellect guy, he comes across as a simpleton...a kid hanging out with his buddies. He stutters and stammers and searches for words.

But you know, he's about as genuine and real as it gets. A nice guy. No pretense. No agenda. Transparent. This is going to be fun.

For a High Intellect guy, he comes across as a simpleton...a kid hanging out with his buddies. He stutters and stammers and searches for words.

But you know, he's about as genuine and real as it gets. A nice guy. No pretense. No agenda. Transparent. This is going to be fun.
At no time during that interview did the word simpleton enter my mind, nor did I think he was stammering and stuttering for words. He is going to kill it on the recruiting trail, once players get to know him.

Whoa, Blouman ... you're getting back into my vintage ! Just for all of y'all kids on the board - Rick Mount was a three-time All-American at Purdue, 1968-70. He was a scoring machine ! He took Purdue to the NCAA Final Game in 1969, but lost to UCLA in Kareem's last college game. Mount played five seasons in the old ABA, but a shoulder injury ended his pro career early.
I actually attended the 1969 Final Four at Freedom Hall in Louisville. I was 16 years old and went with a high school buddy (who was a Kentucky state champion in the discus throw). We had a blast. As you said, UCLA (with then-Lew Alcindor) beat Purdue in the title game. The other participants were Drake (yes Drake) and North Carolina (with Charlie Scott, a tremendous player who had broken UNC's color barrier). Just a fantastic experience for a young basketball fan.

Great interview. You can tell how excited Pope is to have this job and you can tell he’s a good guy that’s genuine. I think some people that’s worried about the roster needs to watch this interview and stop looking at what players are ranked. He’s finding guys that fit his system and that’s more important. That’s what it takes to win at a high level in college basketball.

Rick Mount.
Not many on this Board know that name.
He was born 40 years early. He was made for the 3 point era.
I remember the name Rick Mount. Played a couple years for the Kentucky Colonels in the ABA who had the 3-point line before the NBA did a few years after the merger.

Only thing weird about this is when Goodman is talking about which roster so far he likes best. He says Arkansas. And that's fine because it's his opinion. But then here's the thing. He starts out saying it's because Johnell Davis is a dude. And then he says the reason it's so valuable that Johnell Davis is a dude is that "you never know how these freshmen are gonna play" and then he lists fully half of Cal's roster.

Why do that? I don't get it, by his own logic. If you're willing to say you don't have any idea how fully half the roster is going to play, why also call them the better roster? Again, he's entitled to say it and think it. It may even be right for all I know. But why phrase it that way? That's just weird imo.

Rick Mount.
Not many on this Board know that name.
He was born 40 years early. He was made for the 3 point era.
I was in Memorial as a young kid with my uncle during a game when Mount visited campus. When he walked in to sit behind the KY bench, you’d have thought God was in the building. All eyes were on him and people flocked for autographs. I’ve never forgotten it …

That was awesome. I don't think we could have done better. Pope is super intelligent and so personable. He will get it done. I haven't been this excited about UK basketball since CCC was hired.
Props to Mitch Barnhart for making the right call even tho he knew he would be attacked by some.

Reactions: cat tat2

He's got to be tired, for one. For another, he probably has a million things going through his mind at once. It's tough to give the right words and make sure you're articulating properly when your brain runs 50x faster than your mouth. Plus, Pope is sincere, so he's not going to speak like a politician or a salesman.

If Perry shoots half as well as Rick Mount, it will be awesome. I remember him very well back when high school basketball was king in Indiana. Indiana Mr BB out of Lebanon, In.

Perry, along with Noah and Collins gives the Cats some real firepower, especially next year should they still be here.

Reactions: Blouman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT