Votes: 58 38.4%
  • UNDECIDED

Votes: 23 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

megablue

All-SEC
Oct 2, 2012
With all the controversy, drama and the speculated turnaround in his decision-making process ... it will be curious to see how the players and fans react. Will he now have to WIN everybody back and convince them that his heart is in the job here at Kentucky ?? The relationship has certainly been fractured, but to what extent ?? Time will tell ...

Last edited:
Reactions: FltDoc
I like Stoops, I do think he is a good coach.
He is frustrating to me with his ultra conservative style. I can't stand the soft zone they run on defense. But that could be because his DBs aren't very good.
They have an Aussie punter but insisted punting traditional. I still don't understand putting that round peg in the square hole.

Yeah the wonderful coach who thinks an Aussie punter should go traditional should get some barb wire to his behind

Reactions: bluecoon1
Indifferent.

I think the right hire can match what Stoops has done the last couple seasons. He has hit his ceiling here.

On the other hand, I’m so used to losing to Georgia and the other top SEC schools, that it almost seems silly to not want the coach that beats our in state rival on a regular basis.

I’m indifferent too. I like Stoops, he frustrates me at times. I’m also curious to see what someone else (I’m 99% sure it would have been Sumrall) could do here.

Indifferent.

I think the right hire can match what Stoops has done the last couple seasons. He has hit his ceiling here.

On the other hand, I’m so used to losing to Georgia and the other top SEC schools, that it almost seems silly to not want the coach that beats our in state rival on a regular basis.
Yes, I think it is time we return to winning 2 games a year and getting blown out every week. UL gave its new coach a open checkbook to be used in the portal. Until UK decides to do the same we are about as good as we can be.

How long have Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee been football powers? Between Bryant and Brooks, how many years did UK have really good teams? Until the last few years UK did not have football facilities to compete with anybody in the SEC. Compare the number of SEC level high school players the powers’ states produce compared to Kentucky. Look at the results of yesterday’s game vs an ACC championship game top 10 team. I want UK to get to the next level in the SEC and not be satisfied ever. The powers of the SEC make the league the toughest. But, I think getting there is going to be difficult even if Saban was our coach.

How long have Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee been football powers? Between Bryant and Brooks, how many years did UK have really good teams? Until the last few years UK did not have football facilities to compete with anybody in the SEC. Compare the number of SEC level high school players the powers’ states produce compared to Kentucky. Look at the results of yesterday’s game vs an ACC championship game top 10 team. I want UK to get to the next level in the SEC and not be satisfied ever. The powers of the SEC make the league the toughest. But, I think getting there is going to be difficult even if Saban was our coach.
Do players go to Bama and Georgia more so because of Saban and Smart, or because of being Bama and Georgia ?? I don't know, but it's clearly because of both. Plus ... now NIL$$$ is in the mix.

Last edited:
Why would anyone think he is going to change after 11 years!!!

He was going to A&M until the offer was rescinded. He is in the top 10 paid coaches in the country. Are the results commensurate with his pay?

I am hoping the Iowa job opens up and he goes “home”
I was going to post my reply, but you nailed it for me.

I said yes I'm glad he is here.

UK football is never gonna be better than a 6 and 6 or 7 and 5 type team most years in the new sec anyways so Stoops seems to have that win total down so keeps status quo.

Stoops said in his statement at 1:02 AM last night ... "I'm excited to say I'm a Wildcat!" ... but let's be honest ... we all know he has 9,000,000 reasons to say that, even if he really doesn't feel that way.

Last edited:
I think Stoops has built enough escrow to see if he can ramp Kentucky back up for the next 2-3 years.

When Coen was back on the side line our offensive play calling was more creative and changed. When Coen was in the box it was clearly different.

I do think if we get the right personnel Kentucky can be competitive.

I think in the next 2-3 years the following has to happen.

• Beat Tennessee
  • Be competitive against Georgia
  • Limit the self inflicted wounds
    • penalties
    • discipline issues
  • Next year some how go 7-5 or 8-4.
  • Get another 10 win season
  • Change offensive/defensive scheme philosophy
    • Go back to the 10 win season offensive/defensive philosophy during Will Levis first year

Indifferent.

agreed, but what I saw yesterday was a UL coach who won't be losing too many more games going forward....

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Do players go to Bama and Georgia more so because of Saban and Smart, or because of being Bama and Georgia ?? I don't know, but it's clearly because of both. Plus ... now NIL$$$ is in the mix.
I think it is both...I think it's the name and then which coaches they like to go to the name.

I was indifferent before his little stunt last night, now I'm over him and ready for a new coach. I don't know how any players on the team can take him seriously after all of this.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Overall, I am glad Stoops will remain at UK. Stoops isn't going to win the SEC or compete against Alabama and Georgia, but neither is anybody else. But Stoops does provide stability and keeps us around a 7-5/8-4 type program most years, which is a vast improvement over our past. I'd rather win 7 games a year than 2 or 3.

I know some complain Stoops has hit his ceiling at UK and I can understand the desire to continue our upward trajectory. But the sad reality is, in the SEC, 8-4 is not just our coach's ceiling most years, it is our PROGRAM'S ceiling. We could hire Nick Saban or Kirby Smart and recruiting would improve some over where it is now. But you know what, it still wouldn't be enough to allow us to consistently compete against the elite programs of the conference. Whoever would replace those guys at Alabama and Georgia would continue to out-recruit us just based on where they are located.

Had Stoops actually been chosen to be A&M's new coach last night, it is highly likely this program would have quickly fallen back into the cellar where it has traditionally been and stayed there. After a decade of that kind of misery, a 7-5 season would look pretty damn incredible. Stoops is the only coach during my lifetime that has been able to establish and maintain a winning record over the course of multiple seasons at UK. We would be foolish to throw that away for another coach who would be very unlikely to maintain that level of success, much less move us forward. Stoops has two 10 win seasons here! To lead Kentucky to a 10 win season is a greater challenge than coaches at the elite programs leading their teams to a national championship!

We should remember who are we are and be thankful for what we have. We aren't going to find a coach that will come to UK who can do better than Mark Stoops. So be damn careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Reactions: CGblue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT