ADVERTISEMENT

Player decisions update from Pilgrim

The only one I care about is Reed. Everyone else can leave as far as I'm concerned. I just want Reed back.

If he goes - I'm going to have a hard time supporting Cal next year. I may not end up watching any games.
This.

If Sheppard leaves, then I’m just waiting until it gets so bad that something has to be done. That’s all that’s left to do.

Not my intent. I know the portal has made a bigger mess for everyone, but we're bringing in 8,9,10 new dudes every season.
It has definitely been worse for us and my comment was more generalized across the board for all sports. Our football team is suffering from it too and I hate it. I get letting kids transfer if something isn't a good fit but being able to switch schools every year has to stop. They should get to transfer once with no restrictions but after that any other transfers require sitting out like the old rule unless there is a coaching change or something along those lines,

I hear you and agree. Evidently Cal's bond with the players and their families are NOT as strong as he makes it appear. They can't wait to get away from him apparently. Who knows?
I don't think that it is their bond isn't what it appears to be, but rather he has them all convinced from the get go that they are one and done special and even when their play and stats don't back it up they've felt like they HAVE to declare because if not they look like a failure. We've had more declare without really needing to do so versus ones that transferred when they would have been a key contributor but both definitely have happened too often.

Call to Freeman:

"I know you have 65 offers out there, but do you mind waiting so guys like Edwards and Wagner, who don't give a crap about Kentucky basketball, can have two months to decide if they're ready for the G-League or not?"
That is exactly the thing that needs to change. The conversation needs to go "Listen I know you have to get feedback but we cannot afford to wait around and lose out on potential recruits. You have a week to let me know if you plan to be back and then we have to move on. If you decide at a later date you want to come back then if we have the space you will be more than welcome, but if not then I will help you find somewhere that will best benefit you".

Sorry no blue blood is losing their entire roster on an annual basis. KU had 3 returning starters from last year to come back this year. Duke had 5 major contributors from last year to come back this year. We had one major contributor come back in reeves as Theiro was utilized very Little and Ugo not used at all after January. Both ugo and reeves came close to leaving. This is a much bigger issue at UK than it is at other blue blood programs.
It sure is! Not sure why people try to pretend otherwise. Sure, some guys leave at other big name programs, but NOWHERE even remotely close to how it is at UK. We start from scratch every damn season. Damn I can’t wait until Cal is forever gone from Lexington!

That is exactly the thing that needs to change. The conversation needs to go "Listen I know you have to get feedback but we cannot afford to wait around and lose out on potential recruits. You have a week to let me know if you plan to be back and then we have to move on. If you decide at a later date you want to come back then if we have the space you will be more than welcome, but if not then I will help you find somewhere that will best benefit you".
Excellent common sense point, and for the good of the program which should have been happening all along.

I don’t consider basically shoving kids out the door as “re-recruiting” them.
Cal has said many times his primary concern was getting his 5* players to the NBA basically after 1 year. The same 5* players who do not have the capability and experience to make a deep run in the tourney. Cal is actually saying "f**k you" to all BBN fans and Kentucky basketball tradition and their expectations to make a deep run in the tourney. This is all about HIM and his false sense of prestige about his ability to get players to the league. He is sitting at home right now using his calculator adding up all those UK players he has put in the league. UK BASKETBALL IS SCREWED.

But why would he come back to play for a coach who admittedly didn’t start him because he didn’t want to hurt the feelings of other players?
I'm sure Reed took it in stride but there is no parent in the world that would not have been pissed off by that.
I know Jeff and Stacy were there cheering at every game and are huge UK fans; that is why they're probably as pissed at Cal as most of the rest of us are.

It sure is! Not sure why people try to pretend otherwise. Sure, some guys leave at other big name programs, but NOWHERE even remotely close to how it is at UK. We start from scratch every damn season. Damn I can’t wait until Cal is forever gone from Lexington!
How many years did Bacot and RJ Davis play at UNC. During their years how many players at UK have been as good or better than them in their respective seasons?

Cal’s time has cone and gone. Unfortunately he’s still the coach.

How many years did Bacot and RJ Davis play at UNC. During their years how many players at UK have been as good or better than them in their respective seasons?

Cal’s time has cone and gone. Unfortunately he’s still the coach.
Exactly right. Or even a guy like McCullar at Kansas. Kids like that don’t stay 3/4 years at UK.

Looks like CCC gonna get to say “We’re just young” again next year. Wonder if he will have his boy Mitch help him out with the propaganda next year. I can just hear it now, “Gotta get young before we get old”. You can’t make this stuff up.

It has definitely been worse for us and my comment was more generalized across the board for all sports. Our football team is suffering from it too and I hate it. I get letting kids transfer if something isn't a good fit but being able to switch schools every year has to stop. They should get to transfer once with no restrictions but after that any other transfers require sitting out like the old rule unless there is a coaching change or something along those lines,
Exactly! That is just common sense, transfer once for any reason. Every other one has restrictions just like it’s always been in the history of the sport. That’s why I hate that the Law is getting involved, in some ways it helps but they never make reasonable decisions and have taken away even a basic framework for the sport to be fair across the board. Just general rules.

Well of course and it's been that way since Cal got here with his one and done philosophy but it's more widespread than it used to be because of the open transfer portal which is why I said I hate what college athletics has become. I'm not sure why you act like I am defending anything? 🤷‍♂️

For perspective, I see everyone in CBB is talking up AJ Storr in the Portal. AJ is the former Gamecock, then went to St. John's, then Wisconsin (strangest fit) and now in Portal again with Illinois as a heavy favorite to land him. What a fun time to be a CBB fan! This is pathetic.

You guys aren't wrong, I dislike the change to the transfer portal rule 😕

But then you have teams like Purdue, with (AFAIK) every starter having been there since Freshman year.

What a thrill it would be to get to know the players & then see that TEAM progress, grow and have success. I miss that in college ball but UK/Cal amplifies how bad it is.

Not only was Onyenso one of the worst players in the entire country apparently he was disinterested and had one foot out the door while getting starter minutes.

Cal continuing to trot him out there as much as he did the entire 2H of the season really torpedoed this team's upside.

We should have never taken Mitchell and Thiero should have been cemented in the lineup. 4 schools in 4 years is garbage. Cal says he cares about the kids yet he recruits right over them. He only cares about the kids that can increase his NBA tally. The kids see it more and more.

Not only was Onyenso one of the worst players in the entire country apparently he was disinterested and had one foot out the door while getting starter minutes.

Cal continuing to trot him out there as much as he did the entire 2H of the season really torpedoed this team's upside.
I know, he wanted to leave last year. I’m about ready for him to just go. He sucks.

Reactions: CatsnRoses
Interesting generic statement from Adou. Struggled linking the tweet for some reason. No specific mention of the portal, though the “all of my options” would imply it. He also turned off comments on the post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT