ADVERTISEMENT

Player decisions update from Pilgrim

UPDATE:
"I know absolutely nothing that has not been publicly reported. Here comes 2,500 words saying that in a variety of ways I hope will disguise that fact in keeping with my three years of journalism school."
Now pay $12 per month for it. Oh and I won’t report the unflattering things unless told by others first cause don’t want to further damage any ‘ins” I may have.

A lot of other teams have older rosters. Look at all the teams in the Sweet 16. All of them have older dudes that are legit. Only team that relies a little bit on freshman is Duke.
Yeah I get there are older teams out there but there are still several on those teams that were on a different team last year. It's just constant roster turnover but we might as well get used to it.

Reactions: gharding07
Reed should leave if winning at UK is important to him. We aren't winning shit next year, so he might as well go be a lottery pick.

Such a shame that an outstanding legacy player had to come to UK while Cal was the coach. Such a waste.
I’m not saying Reed should stay but under his circumstances it’s not out of the question. He’s a Kentucky kid .. a legacy .. and loved by more UK fans that I thought possible. He’s getting no telling how much NIL money with a lot more possibly coming his way. The NBA is ruthless. They’ll try to tear him up. It’s a JOB. He will have a ton of money if he stays. Either way I will always be a huge fan of the young man.

I don’t know what everyone expected lol. Putting aside that players don’t stay here regardless of draft position, half of them have already been recruited over. We have 6 signees and cal isn’t about to sit them. Burks can go somewhere else and start why be glued to the bench?

I don’t know what everyone expected lol. Putting aside that players don’t stay here regardless of draft position, half of them have already been recruited over. We have 6 signees and cal isn’t about to sit them. Burks can go somewhere else and start why be glued to the bench?
Aaron Bradshaw would probably disagree with you.

We have the worst roster turnover in the nation, every season, and it ain't close.
Well of course and it's been that way since Cal got here with his one and done philosophy but it's more widespread than it used to be because of the open transfer portal which is why I said I hate what college athletics has become. I'm not sure why you act like I am defending anything? 🤷‍♂️

So basically lose everyone on a team that lost in the first round and expect better results next year depending heavily on mostly freshmen that weren't as talented as this years group...got it.

I'm not a 100% Cal sucks guy, but this is the biggest issue that I have had with Cal over the past 5 years. Why in the blue Hades can we not keep players here that should be staying in college? They either enter the draft anyways and fall into oblivion after a year or two (Washington, Livingston and about to be Wagner, Edwards and Z) or they transfer out when they could be a major piece the following year (Juzang, Brooks and WIltjer). If we lose everyone AND have a similar season next year like we had this one then I will be on every media saying FIRE CAL at all costs like many were this year.
My biggest problem with him as well, and why we can’t be good anymore because players that should stay don’t. Seems nobody wants to play for him more than 1 year, if they get drafted or not. The first few years some did and we had some good role players. Without good role players you can’t win championships

Whomever Jack spoke with is full of **** regarding the Reed Sheppard angle. He may very well want to stay but as a professional, you want to go as high as possible and there's a reason teams are drafting in the Lottery. You know the event that hasn't even been decided yet because they hold an actual drawing of who selects when. So he's projecting who will have picks? Give me a break. This is when you are either pressured to provide an update by your employer or you talk to the wrong people.

The financial commitment is what the player is seeking. They get to the NBA, drafted higher, that's more guaranteed $ and team is obviously invested so they'll get to play. How they play decides if they keep getting paid and how long they play. But you don't say "I don't want to go top 10 because I don't think the Pistons know what they are doing". That's asinine.

For perspective, I see everyone in CBB is talking up AJ Storr in the Portal. AJ is the former Gamecock, then went to St. John's, then Wisconsin (strangest fit) and now in Portal again with Illinois as a heavy favorite to land him. What a fun time to be a CBB fan! This is pathetic.

I don’t know why we even do this every day. Calipari is going to do what he’s always done, push them out for the next crop. Did we not just hear his own athletic director say essentially everything will remain, players doing player things is the focus not winning for this program.

Guys, I hate to repeat this, but nothing has changed over the last 5 years +. Until Barnhart and Calipari are not part of this university we will will continue to lose prestige and fall behind the other top 5, maybe even top 20 programs. People rode this faux morality Calipari train way too long and now until he goes there’s no stopping it.

The truth is neither Calipari nor Mitch want to work as hard as high major SEC athletic programs have to work. So they’re settling at moral causes to make you feel bad for wanting to win.

It couldn’t be any more clear. Don’t worry about it, pray for the next administration to come in and do the work.

Yeah I get there are older teams out there but there are still several on those teams that were on a different team last year. It's just constant roster turnover but we might as well get used to it.
My biggest gripe is we can't keep fringe 1st round picks to come back anymore. Duke had two of them that came back. And 2 others that already know the system. I hear you. Cal just can't wait to unload guys to make room for freshman that can play 30 plus minutes.

I had talked myself into cal being back due to lack of real options to replace, but if this is the case…….

The freshman class is already nowhere near as talented as last year, I mean, I don’t see how anything could possibly change next year. F cal.

Whomever Jack spoke with is full of **** regarding the Reed Sheppard angle. He may very well want to stay but as a professional, you want to go as high as possible and there's a reason teams are drafting in the Lottery. You know the event that hasn't even been decided yet because they hold an actual drawing of who selects when. So he's projecting who will have picks? Give me a break. This is when you are either pressured to provide an update by your employer or you talk to the wrong people.

The financial commitment is what the player is seeking. They get to the NBA, drafted higher, that's more guaranteed $ and team is obviously invested so they'll get to play. How they play decides if they keep getting paid and how long they play. But you don't say "I don't want to go top 10 because I don't think the Pistons know what they are doing". That's asinine.
Everyone knows Pilgrim is basically full of shit. He is desperately trying to stay in the good graces of a Madman. Dude is being played like a fiddle, and he knows it but doesn’t have much recourse if he wants to keep a career going the way he wants it going.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
My biggest gripe is we can't keep fringe 1st round picks to come back anymore. Duke had two of them that came back. And 2 others that already know the system. I hear you. Cal just can't wait to unload guys to make room for freshman that can play 30 plus minutes.

Calipari has always lied about wanting kids to return. He’s doesn’t. He wants to be known as a guy who put his players over winning ( a way to not have to work and be better than those wining) and wants to have the most NBA players in the game. I don’t know what his plans are, maybe to be an agent when he’s done here I don’t know. But he has always pushed players out of this program since day one. Duke doesn’t push them out. It’s that simple.

Everyone knows Pilgrim is basically full of shit. He is desperately trying to stay in the good graces of a Madman. Dude is being played like a fiddle, and he knows it but doesn’t have much recourse if he wants to keep a career going the way he wants it going.
I don't think he's sucking up to Cal at all. I do think he's under pressure to provide updates when sometimes there isn't much to report--or at least yet. These meetings aren't always that intense--some last about 2-5 mins. Some don't even take place because staff already knew what was going to take place (Rob). If they do talk to some guys like Rob it's just about helping them through the process and being there as a soundboard. A hug and thank you and then done and done.

I don't think he's sucking up to Cal at all. I do think he's under pressure to provide updates when sometimes there isn't much to report--or at least yet. These meetings aren't always that intense--some last about 2-5 mins. Some don't even take place because staff already knew what was going to take place (Rob). If they do talk to some guys like Rob it's just about helping them through the process and being there as a soundboard. A hug and thank you and then done and done.
you could be right. But listening to him and reading his stuff over the last week, I think he’s trying to kiss a little butt after being more negative than I’ve ever heard him in the past.

Not much of an "update", as all of this has been talked about. But just to sum it up, the most likely returnees are...
DJ
Burks
Hart

Perfect. Cal better get WWW on the horn and get a little slimy again. I sure wouldn't want my legacy on the line with DJ as my PG, the six incoming frosh, and a couple portal guys. Holy crap.

We may not have a single contributor from this years team on the roster next year. I hate what college sports has become.
Not finding this issue with any other blue blood, only in Lexington. While I won’t hope for a total implosion next year I will sit back and laugh if this all crumbles around cal like a straw house in a hurricane. Cal has totally ran this organization into the dumpster and would suit him well to go out of here having it all come crashing down on top of him. Could be the end of Barnhart as well which I haven’t always been on the side of but this contract and his unwillingness to hold cal accountable in any capacity is truly worth firing. Just gotta hope we can get the right person in here to pull us out of the ashes again.

The initial post started off with "well start with the bad news" but then there was no good news to follow LOL

While it would be awful if everyone left I'm beginning to think this is more like one person's opinion rather than actual solid news.

Reed has to weigh between financial decisions and his legacy. ............no kidding LOL.

Who knows maybe everyone does leave. Or not tho lol

Not finding this issue with any other blue blood, only in Lexington. While I won’t hope for a total implosion next year I will sit back and laugh if this all crumbles around cal like a straw house in a hurricane. Cal has totally ran this organization into the dumpster and would suit him well to go out of here having it all come crashing down on top of him. Could be the end of Barnhart as well which I haven’t always been on the side of but this contract and his unwillingness to hold cal accountable in any capacity is truly worth firing. Just gotta hope we can get the right person in here to pull us out of the ashes again.
This simply isn’t true. Go look how many KU, Duke and UNC guys have left the last few years.

Doesn’t make it any better for UK but this is not a UK only issue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT