ADVERTISEMENT

Player decisions update from Pilgrim

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
We'll start with the bad news, now public and official: Adou Thiero is going portaling. This is a huge hit to Kentucky and it's my understanding they're going to work to recruit him back, but it wasn't a huge secret down the stretch that Coach Cal and Thiero didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things. He joked at the NCAA Tournament during the locker room interviews that Cal was harder on him than anyone else on the team, and talking to people around the program, they agreed. Several assumed things were trending toward the portal late, looking for a chance to prove he can be the star of his own team (and worried he wouldn't be able to become one here). Considering the money he can (and will) get elsewhere, it all adds up. Just a terrible loss, no other way to put it.

As for other guaranteed depatures, Rob Dillingham's time at Kentucky has come to an end, as expected. He'll be entering the NBA Draft as a likely top-five pick. That one isn't a surprise to anyone.

Elsewhere, Reed Sheppard has the toughest decision on the team, obviously, and I'm told it's weighing on him. His current draft grade is top-10 (coming from NBA scouts) and that guarantee will be really, really tough to pass up. But historic NIL money is waiting for him should he decide to return. He'll test the waters while keeping that door open, but his choice will be calculated down to team fit and culture in his range on both ends. There's no certainty next year's group will connect the way this one did, but the idea of going to a losing franchise in the middle of nowhere isn't appealing to him, either. Financials will be a significant part of it, but not the ultimate deciding factor. Legacy is important for that family and they know what winning means here, so the unfinished business angle is at play here, too. Head says NBA, heart says year two in Lexington. Nothing decided either way yet.

Zvonimir Ivisic's got a tough call to make, too. He's already tested the draft waters twice and is no longer eligible to try again, so it's all or nothing with this process. That complicates his situation a bit because his stock is currently in the second-round flier range with lottery upside should he return. He came to Kentucky on a one-year plan and that remained the case even through the end of the regular season. There was hope a big game on the Cats' run could shoot him back up the draft boards, but that unfortunately never came. That puts him in a tough spot and could make him think a little longer, but he was pretty open privately about going to the NBA this offseason no matter what. That continues to be the expectation.

Then we get to the trio of Kentucky's top-rated recruits out of high school, all deemed one-and-done locks when they signed here. Instead, none of Justin Edwards, DJ Wagner and Aaron Bradshaw are considered first-round locks, Bradshaw no longer on draft boards at all. He will strongly consider the transfer portal in hopes of finding a fresh start elsewhere while Edwards is going to test the draft waters in hopes of securing a late first-round grade. If that's the case, he's expected to leave, as well. If not, he could also hit the transfer portal, but draft is the likely result. As for Wagner, he was seen as a guaranteed departure for much of the season due to connections in the basketball world, likely to sneak in at the end of the first round no matter how far his stock had fallen. There is growing optimism, though, that he'll seriously consider a second season at Kentucky in hopes of getting back to full strength, maturing and working his way back into the lottery of a weaker draft. He'll test and see what his draft outlook is now, but it's no longer the sure thing it was.

As for other portal names to keep an eye on, Ugonna Onyenso is at the top of the list. Like Thiero, there was a growing sense late that he (and his circle) were eyeing potential options elsewhere. I'm not currently expecting him back in Lexington, barring a major change of heart. Jordan Burks will see what his potential suitors are and what role/NIL opportunities would look like, so that's one to keep an eye on, too. Consider him a toss-up.

Joey Hart would like to return, but his situation will be roster-based. He'd like to play and if there is a path to playing time (even limited), he'll be back. That one will be down the road a bit depending on who Kentucky returns/adds.

Looks like Kentucky might lose everyone
either that or bring back a couple guys who weren't super impressive. Best possible outcome imo was Reed, Adou, Big Z all come back and combine with a solid freshman class and a couple high value portal guys, but that ain't happening

Reactions: catzcan
So basically lose everyone on a team that lost in the first round and expect better results next year depending heavily on mostly freshmen that weren't as talented as this years group...got it.

I'm not a 100% Cal sucks guy, but this is the biggest issue that I have had with Cal over the past 5 years. Why in the blue Hades can we not keep players here that should be staying in college? They either enter the draft anyways and fall into oblivion after a year or two (Washington, Livingston and about to be Wagner, Edwards and Z) or they transfer out when they could be a major piece the following year (Juzang, Brooks and WIltjer). If we lose everyone AND have a similar season next year like we had this one then I will be on every media saying FIRE CAL at all costs like many were this year.

Joey Hart would like to return, but his situation will be roster-based. He'd like to play and if there is a path to playing time (even limited), he'll be back. That one will be down the road a bit depending on who Kentucky returns/adds.
Well I guess Joey is nobody’s son? This why the “Cal is a great guy” club can shove it. Took Joey cause he thought he needed shooting now may not have room for him.

So we might get 1 to 3 guys back and a bunch of freshmen. Next year gonna be a lot like the last 4 years.

"let's get older and more physical" - immediately loses returning Jr who was most physical player on the team.

You can bank on him kicking out onyenso. He would've done it last year if Bradshaw didn't have the injury. You can tell cal just doesn't really want him.

I don't blame thiero. He was already recruited over once and forced to give minutes to someone less productive and he can see that coming up again this season.

In other, fewer words, given the chance - no one wants to stay and everyone wants to leave.

What does that say about your Coach? Your leadership? Your program?

What this guy has done to a once elite, valued, sought out program is sad and embarrassing.

NO PLAYER WANTS TO STAY - think about that and let's do a BS interview about that!

"Let's get older and more physical" - by STARTING with getting rid of an upperclassman and our most physical player. How many more ACTUAL FU's to the fan's face do you need to see? This guy....

Last edited:
So sick of this crap. How am I still watching this? Yes, I am mad at Cal and Barnhart but in the bigger picture college basketball is awful. It's so much worse than football because one or two players have a huge impact. How can the NCAA and the AD's sit back and allow this to happen?

We may not have a single contributor from this years team on the roster next year. I hate what college sports has become.
We only had 1 player with much experience here this season. Reeves.

So, yes, building a roster of familiar faces will be iffy in most places. NIL won't guarantee it because money is fungible. It's the same everywhere. A mid-major may be able to provide more $$ to a roster player from a top tier program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT