ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino lands another double-digit scorer transfer.

A lot of folks don't like Rick but he is one of the best X & O coaches in the business. He will have this St. John's team fun to watch and will be in every game they play. I wish he had never left UK. Sure he made some mistake in live but who has not. "Let him without sin cast the first stone " .

A lot of folks don't like Rick but he is one of the best X & O coaches in the business. He will have this St. John's team fun to watch and will be in every game they play. I wish he had never left UK. Sure he made some mistake in live but who has not. "Let him without sin cast the first stone " .
Yeah it doesn't matter what people think about the off the court crap to me because nobody is perfect or a saint but to each their own.... Pitino can flat out coach and he will win at St Johns.

There is a difference between expecting some to be a saint versus someone being a complete POS....
I think what people should expect from someone else is perceived in different ways.Pitino didn't do anything to me per se....he hurt himself,family and his image by his carelessness,it did no harm to me at all.I guess it boils down to how one looks at things and like I said,to each their own.

When the NIL came out, I was concerned that a school like St. Johns , based on access to a huge market, would be able to throw money at kids.

Pitino may not have alot of gas left in the tank but he can certainly leverage what St. John's has to offer
St. John’s being in NYC is probably actually a detriment to the program in terms of NIL. They get in line after the Jets, Giants, Knicks, Nets, Yankees, Mets, Islanders, Rangers, Devils, NYC FC and the Red Bulls. Unless Pitino can get them to the level of the Chris Mullen days, he will have to depend on alumni and not the NYC market.

Being in a state like Kentucky where college athletes are sone of the most marketable people on n the state is much better for NIL possibilities.

St. John’s being in NYC is probably actually a detriment to the program in terms of NIL. They get in line after the Jets, Giants, Knicks, Nets, Yankees, Mets, Islanders, Rangers, Devils, NYC FC and the Red Bulls. Unless Pitino can get them to the level of the Chris Mullen days, he will have to depend on alumni and not the NYC market.

Being in a state like Kentucky where college athletes are sone of the most marketable people on n the state is much better for NIL possibilities.
yea I can see the logic but um...hows that working out for us?

Actually Pitino is one of the worst x and o coaches in the game.

That’s never been his strength. Stay close to a Pitino team and you beat them.

His strength as a coach is individual instruction and not letting teams get close.

The press was designed to wear teams down so they made mistakes the last 10 minutes.

Now he doesn’t press. He’s a zone coach.

But never learned X&O’s.

I mean…he has 1 recognized title in 34 years as a head coach. Boeheim basically has the same resume as Pitino.

I love what he did for UK, think he’s a really good coach, but you would think this guy had 5 titles the way he’s talked about sometimes.
Only technicality haters diminish the superb coaching job Pitino did in 2013. He actually coached those 6 games, and won them. I like how when the NCAA jobbed Louisville, all of us were suddenly screeching "take their banner", but the same folks - like you - were defending Calipari after his Memphis and UMass Final Fours were vacated.

Actually Pitino is one of the worst x and o coaches in the game.

That’s never been his strength. Stay close to a Pitino team and you beat them.

His strength as a coach is individual instruction and not letting teams get close.

The press was designed to wear teams down so they made mistakes the last 10 minutes.

Now he doesn’t press. He’s a zone coach.

But never learned X&O’s.
Pitino stopped the fullcourt press stuff years ago.

You're really bad at this, man.

yea I can see the logic but um...hows that working out for us?
I would say last year, our recruiting class this year and the way our football team approaches the transfer portal is proof that it works out well when used properly. Oscar was the one of the top, if not the top, endorsement earner in the state last year.

Last edited:
Only technicality haters diminish the superb coaching job Pitino did in 2013. He actually coached those 6 games, and won them. I like how when the NCAA jobbed Louisville, all of us were suddenly screeching "take their banner", but the same folks - like you - were defending Calipari after his Memphis and UMass Final Fours were vacated.
When have I ever defended Calipari after his Final Fours were vacated? The Derrick Rose situation is laughable.

I think Pitino is a really good coach. I love what he did for UK. Even if you count a second title, that’s 2 in 34 years of coaching. Again, very good…but you would think he’s won 5 titles btw people talk about him on here.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
I would say last year, our recruiting class this year and the way our football team approaches the transfer portal is proof that it works out well when used properly. Oscar was the one of the top, if not the top, endorsement earner in the state last year.
10 win football season and final four as proof positive?

I don't think we are leaders in NIL money. Happy to be proved wrong by facts

Reactions: kywildcat41086
10 win football season and final four as proof positive?

I don't think we are leaders in NIL money. Happy to be proved wrong by facts
We will never know how much money our guys make from NIL as that is not public information. We do know that Oscar made a lot of money, Toppin was in a national commercial, the entire team had an NIL deal with a national advertiser, just signed 3 of the top 6 players in the nation and signed the 2nd best QB in the portal. All of those point to some pretty good NIL money. Now, just because we have guys getting NIL doesn’t automatically mean we will win.

My initial argument was that there were more opportunities at UK than St John’s. I will always believe that’s the case.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Pitino stopped the fullcourt press stuff years ago.

You're really bad at this, man.
That’s what I said. You are really bad at reading comprehension.

I even said he’s a zone coach now.

Get your head out of Pitino’s ass and read. If you can read?

Now that's going too far.Hate Cal all you want and I can't stand him but not to root for the players wearing the UK uniform makes me wonder if you ever loved UK at all.
Does it bother you at all that these OAD players are only here for the advantage they "believe" exists under Cal's direction and leave after one or two seasons after they discover they won't be lottery picks? There's no depth to the connection these OAD players have to UK. I, as a fan, really don't care about these types of players like I have always cared in the past. The one exception has been Oscar, but he wasn't a OAD recruited player. I couldn't even name half of them off the top of head. Cal's all about quantity over quality for these players, while at UK. His system and approach is so flawed and I believe one of the main reasons players exit the program as quickly as possible, when they discover they aren't lottery picks. It's not about the player ... it's actually about Cal's ego and his stubbornness, which is fueled by his misplaced pride.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Does it bother you at all that these OAD players are only here for the advantage they "believe" exists under Cal's direction and leave after one or two seasons after they discover they won't be lottery picks? There's no depth to the connection these OAD players have to UK. I, as a fan, really don't care about these types of players like I have always cared in the past. The one exception has been Oscar, but he wasn't a OAD recruited player. I couldn't even name half of them off the top of head. Cal's all about quantity over quality for these players, while at UK. His system and approach is so flawed and I believe one of the main reasons players exit the program as quickly as possible, when they discover they aren't lottery picks. It's not about the player ... it's actually about Cal's ego and his stubbornness, which is fueled by his misplaced pride.
I used to work for a company during the dot com phase. The owner had his core business which was successful but he was intent on hiring college kids to come in and develop websites in the hopes that he'd get the right one or two that would develop the next great banking or commercial site. If they didn't come thru he was done with them by their second year in the company because he had no place for them.

Cal's approach to basketball reminds me of that. Bring in these kids in the hopes that you mesh a one shot deal where they go to the title, and if they don't, then they are castaways - some move on to better things, some are just sent to the scrap heap of players that wasted a year at UK

I used to work for a company during the dot com phase. The owner had his core business which was successful but he was intent on hiring college kids to come in and develop websites in the hopes that he'd get the right one or two that would develop the next great banking or commercial site. If they didn't come thru he was done with them by their second year in the company because he had no place for them.

Cal's approach to basketball reminds me of that. Bring in these kids in the hopes that you mesh a one shot deal where they go to the title, and if they don't, then they are castaways - some move on to better things, some are just sent to the scrap heap of players that wasted a year at UK
Yep and that's piss poor management of the program and coaching.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Iona was a tournament team and Pitino took two of their starters with him, plus a 6th man. Hardly popcorn state. Taylor was a 12 and 4 guy for a Pac-12 team. Alleyne was on a national title team last year. Dingle will have a better season than Wagner or Dillingham.

4 of them were players were players who followed him from Iona

He can also cheat and break the law so there is that.
C'mon now,let's hear what law he broke.You typed it so we all want to know...was he arrested,did he make bail,was he charged,did he plead guilty or ask for a jury trial.if it went to jury did they find him guilty or innocent,what was his sentence or did he walk out of the courtroom innocent????
You want to be credible so let's hear your case...what law did he break?

The man did win a title there.
So did Calipari and the one common denominator was they both had stacked teams. They both also have one game as a Runner up. not sure if he is necessarily rocking the portal since 3-4 of those players followed him from Iona

Valid analogy, IMO. Cal claims that it's "about the kids" ... it's not. If a player doesn't deliver quickly, Cal moves them to the end of the bench and is not concerned with developing them over a period of years. I think this is why many choose to transfer. Transferring out of UK is something that has been rare in the past but common under Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT