ADVERTISEMENT

Pick 1 player from any school, in the history of college basketball to build your college team around. Who would you choose?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
This isn't what they did as a pro NBA/ABA player. But what they were as a college player.

My choice would be Bill Walton. Great passer, great outlet passer, shot blocker, big time rebounder & great scorer around the basket as he showed in the 1973 NCAA championship game. A game where he was 21-22 from the field.

dwayne-schintzius-89-e1586791784245.jpg

I love Bill Russell, he is my hero. But the real answer is Kareem. In addition to all the reasons listed above, they outlawed dunking in college because of the young man. My lord.

As for Pete, great scorer but we pasted his Tigers back-sides regularly. It was a one man show, and he needed a lot of shots to get those points. Even his pro teams struggled to win titles. Freak player but not a winning formula IMHO.

I know a lot of y’all hate him but I’m going with Lebron. Dude would have absolutely dominated the hell out of college and the post college brand building would have been phenomenal.
Yeah if you're talking 4 yrs of college ball, it's Lebron.
Best 18yr old basketball player ever born.
Could have been a 4 time NPOY.

Reactions: Zissou87 and chroix
Oscar “The Big O” Robertson

When he played, freshmen were ineligible, so he only played three seasons. And he played before the Civil Rights movement of the mid 60s, so he faced some challenges that white players didn’t.

Career average 33 points, 15 rebounds
Career W-L record 79-9
UPI POY 3 times
Sporting News POY 3 times
1st team AA 3 times
NCAA scoring leader 3 times

Immediately after his college career he was co-captain (with Jerry West) of the 1960 US Olympic team where they dominated every game and won gold.

I know a lot of y’all hate him but I’m going with Lebron. Dude would have absolutely dominated the hell out of college and the post college brand building would have been phenomenal.
Where did he play. College ball?

Larry Bird is not getting enough love in this thread. What he did in 79 carrying that motley crew of talentless mid major teammates on his back both to an undefeated regular season and then a run to the national championship game was maybe the single greatest overall college season any player ever had.

Imagine what he could’ve done with UK caliber talent as his teammates.

Larry Bird is not getting enough love in this thread. What he did in 79 carrying that motley crew of talentless mid major teammates on his back both to an undefeated regular season and then a run to the national championship game was maybe the single greatest overall college season any player ever had.

Imagine what he could’ve done with UK caliber talent as his teammates.
Bird is definitely in the conversation, but I do want to note that their PG was a junior who averaged 19.3ppg (averaged 27 his senior year) and played in the NBA. But, yes, what they were prior to Bird and what they were after Bird shows how good he was.

I think Walton is the answer . As long as you had guards that understood where to cut once they passed it in to,him.

1977-1101-larry-bird-01164423jpg.jpg

Hard to argue with Kareem. But, Larry led Indiana freaking State to the national championship game, with a 33-0 record, in a loaded era. Give him a 3-point line & a typical top 25 cast around him & he might be unbeatable at the college level.
Didnt Joe B say he was to slow play at UK? I loved Birds game. One can only dream of how that would've played out.

Reactions: jrpross
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT