ADVERTISEMENT

Phillips declaring for the NFL draft?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Wow. There were a lot of things I may have expected but that certainly wasn't one of them. Had some really bad games and, to my eyes, needs more development. Not sure what his advisors are telling him but I can't see him being drafted based on his play this year. But, what do I know? Good luck to him. Just very surprising that he thought his body of work was NFL worthy at this point.

CMS said on his radio show that Drew Phillips had a decision to make concerning declaring for the NFL.

CMS said several NFL folks were really high on his speed and athleticism.

He looked really slow to me and his instincts were not good or so it appeared. This one is baffling.
I think that had more to do with scheme rather than talent.

I think Carrington Valentine proved that.

He had a great pass breakup on a long, well thrown ball at U of L . . .

And . . . .

He played opposite of Maxwell Hairston, who will get some All-SEC recognition post season.

And . . . .

I suspect this one is against the advice of most of the mature folk advising him.

But, I hope he goes early, second round, after lighting up the camp scene!

CMS said on his radio show that Drew Phillips had a decision to make concerning declaring for the NFL.

CMS said several NFL folks were really high on his speed and athleticism.
Lot of athletes are fast and athletic. Not many can cover an NFL wide receiver. Phillips had a lot of trouble this year covering college receivers. The raw materials may be present but I sure think he needs another year of developing. JMHO

12 months ago folks on here said the exact same about Carrington Valentine going to the NFL. If he is getting positive feedback from the draft folks I'm happy to see him go for it.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
He had a great pass breakup on a long, well thrown ball at U of L . . .

And . . . .

He played opposite of Maxwell Hairston, who will get some All-SEC recognition post season.

And . . . .

I suspect this one is against the advice of most of the mature folk advising him.

But, I hope he goes early, second round, after lighting up the camp scene!

We saw him lose badly to leggette just two games ago. Leggette is nice but a leave early guy doesn't lose that badly to him.

I do think dru is an NFL cb but he absolutely needs another year. He's losing money and risking everything.

Wish him well, but glad he’s no longer in our defensive backfield, offensive coordinators threw in his direction all season long with success.

Reactions: seccats04
Honestly, any of our db’s could leave and it would only be an improvement. The most abused unit on the team. Maybe it was coverage, I was always told zone covers lack of speed, but we really need an upgrade there in coaching and talent

Reactions: plumdog69
Honestly, any of our db’s could leave and it would only be an improvement. The most abused unit on the team. Maybe it was coverage, I was always told zone covers lack of speed, but we really need an upgrade there in coaching and talent
A total lack of QB pressure the past two years and that stupid cover two zone prevent defense has made our DB'S look worse than they probably are.

Last edited:
Valentine will get you penalties. But, he was a dog and dared the opposing teams best to beat him. He lost some, but, won a lot

Reactions: BigTyrone
Stoops said Phillips has an NFL draft decision to make. I wonder why he said that? Stoops played CB. Stoops coached CBs. Stoops coached NFL talented CBs.

Hhhhhmmmm. Maybe we have some clues here?

Maxwell Hairston was awesome. Other than that agreed.

We saw him lose badly to leggette just two games ago. Leggette is nice but a leave early guy doesn't lose that badly to him.

I do think dru is an NFL cb but he absolutely needs another year. He's losing money and risking everything.
Don’t forget the way Theo Wease absolutely abused him.

Phillips was all over the field today making plays when he was in the game. Wish him well at the next level. Not a big guy, but seems fearless and has really impressive athleticism to go after bigger WRs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT