Sergio Garcia-1 major. The Masters

Louis Oosthuizen-1 major. British Open

Martin Kaymer-2 majors. PGA Championship and US Open

Graeme McDowell-1 major. US Open

Henrik Stenson-1 major. British Open

Bubba Watson-2 majors. 2 Masters

Charl Schwartzel.-1 major. The Masters

26 major wins amongst the LIV tour.
And how many of these players have mattered or won much if note in the last 3 years? After the first 5 names, not many.

And how many of these players have mattered or won much if note in the last 3 years? After the first 5 names, not many.
Not sure what difference that makes. As to another poster about washed up players in LIV there are also the same for the PGA. Again not sure what difference it makes.

Not sure what difference that makes. As to another poster about washed up players in LIV there are also the same for the PGA. Again not sure what difference it makes.

PGA players have to earn the right to keep their card, or playing privileges in majors, so it isn't the same.

Reactions: KYExtemper
26 majors is significant and all happened in the last 19 years with most of them in the last 10 years. There are only 4 majors a year.

It could be argued that LIV has the majority of the best draws in the game. Bubba maybe washed up, but he can still hit it and is still a bigger draw than say Kevin kisner or Zach johnson

Reactions: Catfan in Tn.
26 majors is significant and all happened in the last 19 years with most of them in the last 10 years. There are only 4 majors a year.

It could be argued that LIV has the majority of the best draws in the game. Bubba maybe washed up, but he can still hit it and is still a bigger draw than say Kevin kisner or Zach johnson
If LIV has the best draws in the game why are they on the CW Network and garnering ratings so low they aren't being reported? I've been a fan of golf for close to 25 years now and I'll say this: Golf is a niche sport. Unless you have Tiger Woods out there it's not going to make a big dent and that's why LIV was trying to get him for upwards of $1 billion. The golf world is too small and LIV wants to basically get in the action but the niche audience is polarized and fewer people are watching them than the PGA TOUR. So I don't see how the Saudis will EVER make their money back on this.

In terms of competition, guys like Dustin, Brooks, etc. still have it. No questions about that. But are you telling me that Sergio can hack it on the current PGA TOUR and place top 20 regularly? Same for some of the others you had listed. Answer there is no. And that's why a lot of those guys took the Saudi money because they knew their best years were behind them. Even Brooks had anxiety about that and took it but you can tell from the Full Swing piece that he's not all that happy with LIV. I guarantee you he'll be jumping back to the PGA TOUR in a few years.

Reactions: cole854

No, they don't have the majority of the best draws. Do you not watch golf? If they did, then they would have a monster TV contract vs. being on CW and lucky to not be pre-empted for a cooking show.

Bubba hasn't been a significant draw in years, so it really doesn't matter where he is playing.

Go ahead and count how many of those majors came after Rory's last major while we're at it.

But are you telling me that Sergio can hack it on the current PGA TOUR and place top 20 regularly? Same for some of the others you had listed. Answer there is no. And that's why a lot of those guys took the Saudi money because they knew their best years were behind them.
The only way they were able to get Saudi money is because they performed well on PGA or Euro Tour. I don't begrudge them but some of them act like PGA gave them nothing, far from it.

Even if Saudi's tried to cherry pick College game and offer big deals to their stars, there's no guarantee those guys will shine immediately. For every Phil and Zalatoris, there are a ton of top college golfers the Tour has spit out.
The Coody kid turned down LIV money, only made 3 of 8 cuts on PGA so far. He'll probably get better but LIV has tried to pull proven names. Where did they pull those names?

The only way they were able to get Saudi money is because they performed well on PGA or Euro Tour. I don't begrudge them but some of them act like PGA gave them nothing, far from it.

Even if Saudi's tried to cherry pick College game and offer big deals to their stars, there's no guarantee those guys will shine immediately. For every Phil and Zalatoris, there are a ton of top college golfers the Tour has spit out.
The Coody kid turned down LIV money, only made 3 of 8 cuts on PGA so far. He'll probably get better but LIV has tried to pull proven names. Where did they pull those names?
Friend of mine won at the highest levels in college and was a journeyman in the pros. Ty Tryon was the next coming of Tiger and I saw him about 10 years ago giving lessons to a kid in Orlando FL. There is no sure thing in life and especially in golf.

I will not begrudge any kid taking LIV money straight out of college given their chances of making it big in the PGA. I don't begrudge the older guys either who are past their primes or never won on tour and do not have the bank accounts the top players have. If I am an old/struggling golfer and you offer me millions to play part time I am going to seriously consider it. If Brandel had that opportunity when he was a "never was" on tour he probably would have taken the money as well.

Exactly and to compound that, no one will really know who these guys are outside of the small pool of golf diehards because LIV doesn't have a great TV deal or exposure. And their CW deal is kind of silly because it made them stop broadcasting on YouTube, which is probably the best way to reach a new crowd.

Unless the Saudis want to burn money - and Lord knows they have a lot of it to burn if they want - I just don't think this is going to be a successful venture.

Reactions: CAT Scratch FVR
I like that LIV is trying to be disruptive because Golf needs it. The sport pretty much sucks outside of the Majors, Ryder Cup, and a handful of other events. The PGA is stale and needs someone to kick them in the rear. The next Tiger Woods isn't walking through that door any time soon so professional golf needs to figure out a different formula.

The PGA lost their way by being greed and Brooks just stuck it in and told them with his great play.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT