ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shooting in Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.
That study only covers the 12 months after treatment, unless I’m reading it wrong.

I’m asking if these treatments will lower suicide rates for that cohort in the long term. After all, this entire movement is predicated on that goal.

Reactions: 80 Proof
That study only covers the 12 months after treatment, unless I’m reading it wrong.

I’m asking if these treatments will lower suicide rates for that cohort in the long term. After all, this entire movement is predicated on that goal.
If you're curious then you should research that. Don't rely on me, you're fully capable to find out on your own.

• Haha
They’re definitely at a lower risk
You'll have to prove that one. The last study I saw compared suicide rates in states that allow kids access to blockers and surgery without parental consent with states that require parental consent. The study found no difference in the suicide rates between the two populations. I don't think going through the process of changing sexes materially affects the mental health of the people afflicted with this condition.

Last edited:
You'll have to prove that one. The last study I saw compared suicide rates in states that allow kids access to blockers and surgery without parental consent with states that require parental consent. The study found no difference in the suicide rates between the two populations. I don't think going through the process of changing sexes materially affects the mental health of the people afflicted with this condition.

I've known two "trans" kids - both girls who wanted to be boys. Both came to this decision when they were in their adolescent years and then a couple of years later they changed their minds. As far as I know they received no treatment as part of this. My daughter went to school with one of the girls and we are friends with the family. The other is the daughter of a college friend. I've never heard any suggestion that either case was precipitated by pressure or anything learned or taught ("grooming") in school. Rather, I believe this is part of what kids see and learn on social media and in general, living life.

Knew a boy who wanted to be a girl in the 90s. Had a pretty shitty time in grade school and high school. Ruined his relationship with his parents. Later transitioned.

Have sympathy for her.

It wasn’t popular to claim you were transgender back then if you were just going through normal shit kids go through.

Reactions: chroix
I am so glad you said that. This bill was passed based on "good Christian morals" with no support from doctors, mental health professionals, or medical associations. If you want to pass a bill that deals with the health of children, you should probably see if the experts support it first before you shove it through committee.
Transgender folk are kind of the new frontier of discrimination. They are such a tiny percentage of the population, they are easy targets for the "Good Christian Morals" crowd that's always looking for someone to victimize, as opposed to actually governing. It's a lot easier to trot out transgendered individuals for another public thrashing, than to say, propose a working budge that isn't balanced on the back of the Teacher Retirement system.

We certainly hear a lot of talk about "Freedom" today, but on the right, "Freedom" means..the freedom to do whatever you want as long as it correlates to my myopic Religious and moral view points.

Reactions: MatteoV25

Those are primary survey analysis. They are not studies done with control groups. The study I referred to was not based on surveys. The JAMA Network study, for example, used surveys from social out reach organizations. There was no control group. It's impossible to get a representative sample when you use that kind of data because you only get people screened by the outreach agency.

Those are primary survey analysis. They are not studies done with control groups. The study I referred to was not based on surveys. The JAMA Network study, for example, used surveys from social out reach organizations. There was no control group. It's impossible to get a representative sample when you use that kind of data because you only get people screened by the outreach agency.

Reactions: MadaboutBlue
I also wouldn’t have a different perspective because I know how to listen to doctor recommendations that this care makes a difference
You’re wanting kids to be permanently altered based on this fluff thought?

You think doctors can be wrong? You think it’s “care” that makes a difference? Or is it receiving an inordinate amount of attention from adults that makes a difference. Being a cause celebre is quite a difference maker, after all.

But, what happens when the doctors and and the helicopter parents and the rainbow-clad well wishers are gone and a now young adult discovers that maybe it wasn’t sex they were confused about, but life? As we all were, and still are.

Don’t you think, in your rational mind, that we should have long term research to know if genital mutilation (let’s call it what it is) can actually lead to positive long term outcomes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT