ADVERTISEMENT

Orange Bowl: FSU vs Georgia

If Alabama wins the CFP and FSU beats Georgia, there’s a very good chance that FSU finishes #1 in the final AP poll. They are currently #4 and Alabama is #5 in that poll. That would give FSU a legitimate claim to their own national championship.

Uga isn't gonna lose to a fsu team with a backup qb. Nice pipedream though.

Because you're not understanding my argument. I'm not arguing FSU is one of the best four teams, but I think they were one of the four most deserving teams. Those are two different things. In my mind, going 13-0 in any P5 conference means you've earned a spot in the playoff.

Every single year but like one the semis have been incredibly uncompetitive. To me that doesn't mean the losers didn't deserve to be there. Just look at the NCAA tournament. The best team rarely wins it, but we don't say a 13 seed who makes a cinderella run to the FF is undeserving. That doesn't mean they were one of the best four teams, but they certainly deserved their place.

Any argument you can make that puts Bama into the playoffs is subjective. Going 13-0 in a P5 conference is an objective measure of success. Playoffs and champions should be based on objective measures of success.
Bama is literally the SEC Champion and beat the No. 1 team in the country. That's a LITERAL objective measure of success.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Bama is literally the SEC Champion and beat the No. 1 team in the country. That's a LITERAL objective measure of success.
Sure, Bama objectively won the SEC. But being a 1 lose conference champ doesn't guarantee anything other than a conference title. Bama is objectively better than UGA. They aren't objectively better than FSU, and that's what we're talking about here. Thinking that Bama beating UGA means they're better than FSU is subjective based on opinions about the two teams and conferences.

13-0 > 12-1

Should have been a play in game. Alabama vs. FSU. Hell in the cell, ladder match, no holds barred.

Sure, Bama objectively won the SEC. But being a 1 lose conference champ doesn't guarantee anything other than a conference title. Bama is objectively better than UGA. They aren't objectively better than FSU, and that's what we're talking about here. Thinking that Bama beating UGA means they're better than FSU is subjective based on opinions about the two teams and conferences.

13-0 > 12-1
That logic goes both ways. You have an opinion that 13-0 from the ACC is better than 12-1 in the SEC. Using that logic, Liberty should be in the playoffs.

Georgia didn't win their conference. Apparently they are not the better team.
If Bama and UGA were in the playoff at 2 and 4 or 3 and 4 it would be a rematch of the SEC title game. Everyone will see that once the bowl games have been played.

If Alabama wins the CFP and FSU beats Georgia, there’s a very good chance that FSU finishes #1 in the final AP poll. They are currently #4 and Alabama is #5 in that poll. That would give FSU a legitimate claim to their own national championship.

They could contact Indiana about where they can get that banner made, if that happens.

• Haha
Reactions: Ugoff
Bama got a miracle win on a hail-Mary against Auburn just a week ago. So yes probably the same team altho their QB is better.

Wasn't a hail mary. It was a great play against a (horrible defensive call) 2 man rush. QB had all day to throw and could have waited longer than he did. Someone was bound to come open and did. Vastly different than a hail mary.

It's just annoying how college football is the only sport where we don't decide things like this on the field. We make arguments about who we think would do what in whatever conference and then make playoff picks based on hypotheticals. The NFL doesn't leave out a 9-8 division champ because they were in a weak division. The NBA doesn't choose more playoff teams from the Western Conference because people feel like it's better.

Give me an objective playoff field. Leaving out a 13-0 P5 conference champion feels like the exact opposite of objective when two other playoff teams have one loss.

The NFL doesn't have a 4 team playoff. If they did, you can damn well be sure a 9-8 division champ wouldn't make the cut, even if they were in a GREAT DIVISION. The NFL plays 17 games for a reason. They have more than 8 teams in the playoffs for a reason. They also have roster and salary caps for a reason. This isn't the NFL, though.

It's the best 4 teams. Period. Not best 4 records. Not the best 4 games or the best 4 conference winners. The best 4 teams. You can pout. You can cry. You can refuse to be objective about it. You can wish upon a star... doesn't freakin matter one bit

Injuries matter. SOS matters. Conference matters. Common opponents matter. How you played more recently matters.

IF FSU wanted to earn a place in the playoff, they needed to play like it the last few weeks. UK (a 7-5 team) beat BOTH OF THEIR OPPONENTS MORE CONVINCINGLY and in better form than FSU did. No one here thinks they belong in the playoff as a 7-5 team, but objectively, I think that UK could beat FSU based on common opponents. There's a LOT OF PEOPLE that think the same way.

That's why they're not in the playoff. End of story

Reactions: JASUN74
It's the best 4 teams. Period. Not best 4 records. Not the best 4 games or the best 4 conference winners. The best 4 teams.
No it's not. The committee has literally said that in the past. They flip flop between saying it's the best four teams or the four most deserving teams based on whatever four teams they want to include. They've used the most deserving argument to justify including Notre Dame in the past, because Notre Dame means higher TV ratings. They've used the most deserving argument to include FSU over TCU in the past, because FSU drivers higher TV ratings than TCU.

The problem is there's no consistency in their decisions. This year they included Bama because they couldn't justify leaving out the SEC when the CFP is broadcast on ESPN and the SEC makes ESPN tons of money.

I doubt the Orange bowl changes anyone's opinion. Going to be multiple player sitting out first both teams than neither will look anything like the regular season teams.

13-0 > 12-1

Bud you can say that about every team.

We don't know Texas is better than UGA or OSU.

We don't know that Washington is better than FSU.

We can't possibly know for sure any year that xyz team who got in is better than xyz team who didn't.

People are mad at Bama and SEC...3 other teams got in over FSU. I mean where's all the hollering at Wash... what has the PAC done recently? Texas, B12 hasn't impressed either their best team got embarrassed last year in the title game.

Thought I read that GA is a 14 point favorite. That's actually not as much as I was expecting. Oh well......go Dawgs!!! Show the FSU lovers why they didn't deserve to be in the CFP top 4.

If UGA comes to play they can name the score
There it is ... If UGa wins, it’s because they were clearly superior. If they lose, it’s because they weren’t interested.

This isn’t the two loss Big East champion they are playing, like Florida did when they got drilled in the 2013 Sugar Bowl. It’s the undefeated ACC champion, a program with three national championships. UGa won’t get to use the “we weren’t interested” excuse in this one.

• Haha
Reactions: CUJO_1970
FSU has a great defense and beat 2 SEC teams this year. They aren't the same team without their starting QB though.

You play in that conference big man with your team and see how it works out, u sound eery similar to a big 10 fn joke fan
Big10 is a joke and a media darling. How many FB Championships has Big 10 won since 2000? How many basketball championships since 2000. Big 10 is overrated year in and year out in both sports.

Georgia didn't win their conference. Apparently they are not the better team.
SEC better than either of those conferences, at least definitely better than the B12. So yeah, our 2nd best team is better than their best. This year just demonstrates the flaw in a 2 or even 4 team playoff. If there are 5 teams who can make a case for being top 2, then you got to go to 8 team playoff. I guess you could try 6 team, with 2 byes.

FSU has a great defense and beat 2 SEC teams this year. They aren't the same team without their starting QB though.
One of those 2 SEC teams had a losing record. And losing the QB is big.
How weak is the ACC, UK (3-5 in SEC) won a ROAD game vs the 2nd best ACC team.

But UGA vs FSU will be 2 really pissed off teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT