ADVERTISEMENT

Oppenheimer

Want to see this, but damn...I can't go and not get popcorn and the obligatory 55 gallon drum of Coke with it, and 3+ hours is really pushing the time limit on a pee break.
Yep, unfortunately no pause button at IMAX.

Reactions: JDHoss
Honestly can't stop thinking about this one. Will rewatch when the physical release comes out (Oct. I'm guessing) but right now I've got it third behind The Dark Knight and Interstellar. TDK is a special one for a few reasons and Interstellar really grew on me over time.

Saw it last night. Absolutely incredible. There is like an hour stretch in the middle of the movie where I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Beginning 45 mins or so kind of drag giving the whole backstory and introducing the characters. But after that, it is great. Definitely recommend it and wouldn't be scared off by the 3 hour length. Doesn't really seem that long. Would be criminal if Cillian Murphy doesn't win the Oscar for best actor.

Saw it last night. Absolutely incredible. There is like an hour stretch in the middle of the movie where I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Beginning 45 mins or so kind of drag giving the whole backstory and introducing the characters. But after that, it is great. Definitely recommend it and wouldn't be scared off by the 3 hour length. Doesn't really seem that long. Would be criminal if Cillian Murphy doesn't win the Oscar for best actor.
Completely agree. The way Murphy portrays how much the weight of the world is on him was masterful.

Last edited:
I saw this movie yesterday..it may or may no be a cinematic masterpiece but is a damn good movie. The performances by Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr were some of the best acting I have ever seen in a movie. Emily Blunt and Matt Damon were also top notch. Murphy and Downey should sweep the individual awards and if they don't there is not justice in Hollywood. If you have not watched Murphy in Peaky Blinders which is on Netflix. I highly recommend that you do. The movie is 3 hours long but it held my attention through out so that length of time was no issue for me.

I'm hoping I finally get some time to watch it tomorrow.

Just as a fun aside...I've been using an autographed Cillian Murphy Batman Begins card as a bookmark for almost twenty years. I just checked on eBay and w o w. I've got an expensive bookmark. XD

360357590_329380319412957_381512170486796046_n.jpg

My favorite performance in the movie is by Casey Affleck as some mysterious, creepy security guy who seemed to enjoy his work just a little too much. Shades of Torquemada and the Spanish Inquisition.

The movie as a whole was ok-to-good, but it was also -- as widely complained of -- too long and too loud. Tons of dialogue that you couldn't possibly understand. If the dialogue isn't needed for the story, find a way to show the info and skip the moving mouth moments. Nolan wrote it, produced it, and directed it. If the dialogue weren't needed, Nolan was certainly in a prime position to do something about it.

Reactions: The-Hack
Saw it in the 78th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, August 8, 2023.

I thought it was excellent. There was a lot of dialogue, frequently a tad quiet and fast. Absent historical knowledge some things could easily be missed, like the brief introductory encounter of Oppenheimer and Strauss . . . when Strauss defends his Jewishness (but intentionally mispronounces his own name in a “southern-style.”).

I thought the movie did a good job showing the moral and human conundrum understandably felt by many in the Atomic bombing: it essentially had to be done, and Oppenheimer and others felt justifiable pride in achieving it, but they also felt the moral weight of its destructiveness.

The movie did a good job of showing three elements of being a theoretical physicist in the 1920-40’s: (1) Europeans dominated the field, especially Germany; (2) a large number of the best and brightest on both sides of the Atlantic were Jewish; and (3) left--leaning tendencies were very prevalent—damn-near-uniform — amongst the intellectuals of that day. Oppenheimer’s wife and mistress were both card-carrying Communists!!

In my opinion, Oppenheimer resisted development of the Hydrogen Bomb in 1949 for the long view of history. He knew security questions would eventually arise, given he and his wife’s (and damn-near all his associates) close association with Communists. I think he felt he was removing the blood from his hands by opposing Tellers’ masterpiece, and didn’t give much of a sh!t about his security clearance .

Oh, and I thought the movie did a good job with Teller.

The most unusual and artistic scene may have been the celebratory speech Oppenheimer delivers in the basketball gym of Las Alamos. The scene weaves the understandable pride of accomplishment and patriotism, but interposes the bright glare of the bomb on to the glaring white faces, Oppenheimer says the right-stuff, but imagines stepping onto a Japanese child’s cooked corpse as he leaves the podium, and sees the strange contorted faces of the cheering throng as animalistic, with overtones of an orgy-like atmosphere.

A great movie!!

Last edited:
The movie was OK. That’s it.
Many (most) of the scenes were over the the top. I realize there is a lot of story to tell but the context and details of many of the scenes in which a key event occurs were ridiculous. Ex….The bomb test scene was excellent but ruined by all the raining and crap minutes before they do the test…wtf. (And this isn’t a spoiler because the raining has nothing to do with anything)

I thought seeing this in a theater was a must, but would have been just a good on my big screen with a pause button.

(And this isn’t a spoiler because the raining has nothing to do with anything)
I thought the raining, and Oppenheimer’s correct prediction of it’s end early in the morning was one more piece of a quiet running theme: Oppy wasn’t just a Wealthy Liberal Northeast Establishmentarian Jewish Intellect, but rather he was a Wealthy Liberal Northeast Establishment Jewish Intellect and honest to God Cowboy.

The fact the Oppy knew New Mexico’s weather because he owned a ranch there, and was the only one from amongst dozens of Goy surrounding him, stands in stark contrast to those silly “Jews on Horseback” movies Billy Crystal gave us in the 1990’s.

Oh, and Oppy was an accomplished horseman!!

The fact the Oppy knew New Mexico’s weather because he owned a ranch there, and was the only one from amongst dozens of Goy surrounding him, stands in stark contrast to those silly “Jews on Horseback” movies Billy Crystal gave us in the 1990’s.
Bruno Kirby wasn't Jewish

Bruno Kirby wasn't Jewish
True, but his character in City Slickers was Italian American, another sub-set of (generally) urban Americans hardly known for meteorological expertise in the South West.

Daniel Stern and Billy Crystal are Jewish.

Two outta’ three ain’t bad!!

Last edited:
Saw it in the 78th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, August 8, 2023.

I thought it was excellent. There was a lot of dialogue, frequently a tad quiet and fast. Absent historical knowledge some things could easily be missed, like the brief introductory encounter of Oppenheimer and Strauss . . . when Strauss defends his Jewishness (but intentionally mispronounces his own name in a “southern-style.”).

I thought the movie did a good job showing the moral and human conundrum understandably felt by many in the Atomic bombing: it essentially had to be done, and Oppenheimer and others felt justifiable pride in achieving it, but they also felt the moral weight of its destructiveness.
---
Alternate views:

Hiroshima, Nagasaki Bombings Were Needless

Alternate views:
There are alternate views, but I’ve read the transcripts of the Imperial meetings before the first bomb, between the two, and after the second bomb fell.

Hirohito only made his extraordinary tearful “order” to his subordinates to accept the surrender after the second bomb had fallen on Nagasaki, and in his recorded surrender speech, claimed to be saving all of humanity from the peril of atomic weaponry.

And still, the military mutinied and occupied the Palace trying to intercept the surrender recording.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT