ADVERTISEMENT

Oh cal so sneaky

The question is will Cal play the best rotation or try to prove he knows best? I’m unsure at the moment. Maybe being at Arkansas and wanting to win big changes him.

If he tries to play his guys or make Thiero play SF/shoot outside, make Z play back to the basket…… it’s more Mad Cal Disease

1. Aidoo is better than Z...fits Cal's prototypical Center to a tee......and I'm sure he was bought and paid...so I don't see a place he isn't a starter over Z.
2. We'll see how the guard stuff plays out.....Boogie Fland, DJ and Davis are all combo guards. My gut tells me Boogie is more talented than DJ...so we'll see. But this is Cal that played Dilly and Reed off hte bench an entire season. The man is consumed with relationship over right/wrong..so it will be interesting.
3. Thiero is probably the only legit PF on that roster today....so I'd agree it's his job as of now.

But to teh OP...this is 100% Cal slow playing Thiero/DJ to get other guys on roster first and pull the okie/doke on them with his guys.
Boogie is a better shooter than Wagner (doesn't take much to be better on that front) and he might be a step quicker, but he's not as strong and not as good getting to the paint. Boogie might be a better mid-range and lane shooter, but he will struggle in the SEC because of his lack of physicality. Neither of them is a true point guard. Both are shoot/score first guys. Based on Cal's history, I'd say Boogie starts. After all, he's got to get out the door by next March to make room for the next freshman.

I agree with the rest of what you said. Aidoo is the likely starter at the 5. Z will be coming off the bench unless he becomes a more consistent 3pt shooter and defender. Z got hot in one game and made a bunch of threes, but after that he never shot close to that well again. Considering his size, it's surprising that he's really a finesse player. He will block shots when he's not in contact with the offensive player and can come from the weak side or off another guy, but he's not able to block shots on his own man because he's not strong enough. Thiero should be the starter at the 4. He doesn't have much competition there.

Reactions: K_TIME
Boogie is a better shooter than Wagner (doesn't take much to be better on that front) and he might be a step quicker, but he's not as strong and not as good getting to the paint. Boogie might be a better mid-range and lane shooter, but he will struggle in the SEC because of his lack of physicality. Neither of them is a true point guard. Both are shoot/score first guys. Based on Cal's history, I'd say Boogie starts. After all, he's got to get out the door by next March to make room for the next freshman.

I agree with the rest of what you said. Aidoo is the likely starter at the 5. Z will be coming off the bench unless he becomes a more consistent 3pt shooter and defender. Z got hot in one game and made a bunch of threes, but after that he never shot close to that well again. Considering his size, it's surprising that he's really a finesse player. He will block shots when he's not in contact with the offensive player and can come from the weak side or off another guy, but he's not able to block shots on his own man because he's not strong enough. Thiero should be the starter at the 4. He doesn't have much competition there.
That is how I see it playing out....but DJ is Cal's boy. So, I'm struggling to see Davis and Boogie starting over DJ. So that will be interesting. Cal is a pro at making up "he needs to defend", " get more 50/50 balls", "be physical", etc... nonsense when determining playing time. So we'll see if he digs into his back of nonsense to play DJ

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Y’all are setting Pope up for a disaster. Arkansas will have a good team and we very well could lose against a team with an awful coach who doesn’t care about winning.

Obviously. And he wouldn’t have wanted or felt pressured to if he was the kind of all-powerful master manipulator some of our fans make him out to be. He’d have stayed here and dominated like he used to.

He’s taking what he can get when he can get it.
I think he can manipulate players to make decisions and reciting stuff easily but that’s all he has.

Yeah, I don't think Wagner was his first choice. Truth is, his broken shot kills him. He's really not great at anything. He's average to good at a few things- he's good at driving and getting to the paint but he's average at finishing those drives. He's good at defending a guy one on one, but he's averaging at dealing with pick and roll or picks in general. He's below average to bad shooting the three. He's average at shooting in the mid-range. He's not a great assist guy. He's good when it comes to physicality but he struggles with lateral quickness. He's got the size and strength to be a good rebounder but doesn't box out or pursue rebounds aggressively. I don't think Calipari really wanted Wagner as his lead guard this season, whether he had been at UK or going to Arkansas.
Very fair assessment, he can improve in some of those areas and become a good college player but he won’t get bigger or quicker and that is his main issue. If he can finish at the rim and know when to go left or right better he would be very good. He needs to work on passing the ball more, and practice shooting daily 3’s as hard as he can for the next 2 years.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT