ADVERTISEMENT

***** Official UK Vs. UNCW Game Thread *****

While watching Marquette lose today, I saw what happens when a perimeter shooting team goes cold. I was concerned that the same could happen to us, but I didn't think it would happen today.

While watching Marquette lose today, I saw what happens when a perimeter shooting team goes cold. I was concerned that the same could happen to us, but I didn't think it would happen today.
You simply HAVE to be exceptional on defense to be a really good team. Poor shooting nights are simply inevitable ... !!

does Cal go with the classic "we needed a game like this" or maybe the tried and true "
"our guys think they poop ice cream"?

I have always thought he has shot to much just in the first several games. He has fired up 3’s when better shooters were open, Cal is scared he will lay down if he tells him to quit firing up so many threes if your not hitting.
Edwards is a college PF at this point in his career - as are almost all 6'7"+ alleged SFs coming out of high school. He could help in that PF role, whether it's starting or backing up. But, of course, he's really a Guard, so shooting 3s and handling the ball on the break is what he's supposed to do, right?

Wagner’s defense can’t be overstated. Oh well. Yet another chance to strangle a high seed slipping away early again.

Reactions: megablue
Inserting Bradshaw might have messed with the flow, but rebounding and defence are glaring weaknesses. Can't rely on the 3.
What flow? Inserting Bradshaw isn't the reason why Edwards took too many bad shots and couldn't guard a statue. However, he wasn't alone because Reeves did nothing today but stood around an looked surprised that he was at least a step to slow on almost every play.

Edwards is a college PF at this point in his career - as are almost all 6'7"+ alleged SFs coming out of high school. He can help in that role, whether it's starting or backing up. But, of course, he's really a Guard, so shooting 3s and handling the ball on the break is what he's supposed to do, right?
He’s just looks slower than the others. He was abused today.

Reactions: G-PIP
They will tell their kids and grandkids about it and effing should.

Highly highly disappointed in our boys today. Thought they had fight and heart. Shame on me for thinking that.
By the time they have kids will we even be good enough for it to be worth bragging about? Cal will probably stay so long he totally destroys this program and Mitch (probably will be here to) will hire the next Gillispie.

What flow? Inserting Bradshaw isn't the reason why Edwards took too many bad shots and couldn't guard a statue. However, he wasn't alone because Reeves did nothing today but stood around an looked surprised that he was at least a step to slow on almost every play.
Yep. You pretty much got my point.

The 1st half, the spacing was terrible and the offense was trying to go through the post.

But Cal definitely gave way too much leash to Edwards today.

Reactions: LmdCat
Edwards is a college PF at this point in his career - as are almost all 6'7"+ alleged SFs coming out of high school. He could help in that PF role, whether it's starting or backing up. But, of course, he's really a Guard, so shooting 3s and handling the ball on the break is what he's supposed to do, right?
I would rather have any of our other guards shooting that shot.

Reactions: G-PIP
Edwards' best position is the bench. He doesn't even seem to have enough sense to stop jacking up 3s when those shots are obviously killing his team. He doesn't even look for the player who might be in a scoring rhythm. He will shoot the ball early and often.

Pretty sure Welch had as much input in this game as every other one this year. This loss is inexcusable but the whole team lost this one. We didn’t pass the ball, we tried hero ball, had foul problems, and could defend one on one to save our lives.
Welch being the main coach and we dont get the poor officiating. Cal has made his bed with the NCAA and refs.... its his own damn fault

The slowest game of the year tempo wise and we have 13 turnovers. What Cal has never understood and won’t ever understand is that turnovers generally aren’t due to playing too fast and loose. They are due to play against set half court defense and a shot clock.

Yes, and I gave Cal credit Tuesday for having this team ready to go. But for every Miami game with him, we have at least one UNC-W too, which isn't acceptable
Wagner being out was obviously an issue, but Wagner was out of the game an entire half against a good Miami team and we stretched the lead.

This was a team not being prepared and Cal talking about how he has to have Tre and Bradshaw out there at the same time, wtf

Welch being the main coach and we dont get the poor officiating. Cal has made his bed with the NCAA and refs.... its his own damn fault
You nailed it. It isn't surprising that he is hating by the refs when many of teams' fans can't stand him either.

The blue print to beating UK was set in ink today. Other teams coaches will be drawing up similar game plans.

Yeah, Cal is easily read.... Not even a one trick pony. Thank the Lord for AD and company.. They just refused to lose.. Bill Self was actually correct. They just ran out of time.

The worse Edwards plays the more he is going to force play trying to generate enough stats to keep the NBA interested. This kid was done a major disservice by those up coached him prior to arriving at Kentucky. He doesn't appear to even understand the most basic elements of the game. He can't even catch the darn ball. Maybe he should be screened for glasses

Inserting Bradshaw might have messed with the flow, but rebounding and defence are glaring weaknesses. Can't rely on the 3.
It could be argued that we should be relying more on the 3 (as long as the right people are taking the three).
Prior to today, we averaged 27 3PTA/game. Today we had 17 3PTA. seems like a statistically significant number

Cal: "Give credit to UNCW, they played their butts off"

No. I don't care how true it is. That's not what I want to hear that BS from a 9 million dollar coach.

• Angry
Reactions: BBUK
The slowest game of the year tempo wise and we have 13 turnovers. What Cal has never understood and won’t ever understand is that turnovers generally aren’t due to playing too fast and loose. They are due to play against set half court defense and a shot clock.
To be fair, though, how many of our TOs were in transition versus the half court set?

Cal: "Give credit to UNCW, they played their butts off"

No. I don't care how true it is. That's not what I want to hear that BS from a 9 million dollar coach.
They didn't play their butts off. Of course Cal would say something like that. He is simply trying to cover up the fact that his team wasn't prepared for the game pregame nor during the game. If they got the chance to play the game again, Cal still wouldn't know what to do to change the outcome.

Bradshaw +11
Reeves +3
Mitchell -2
Burks -6
Dilly -7
Edwards -7
Reed -9
Thiero -18
Of course your main guys are going to have a poor +/- when you lose the game and they play 35 minutes. This stat is so mis-applied at times, it's comical.

To be fair, though, how many of our TOs were in transition versus the half court set?
I don’t know. But when you’re in a slow tempo game, the transition opportunities become forced as opposed to in a free flowing game where the guys are playing loose and relaxed.

I don’t know. But when you’re in a slow tempo game, the transition opportunities become forced as opposed to in a free flowing game where the guys are playing loose and relaxed.
I missed most of the second half, but in the first half, it seemed like most of our TOs were in transition.

I would rather have any of our other guards shooting that shot.
That's the thing, though. Edwards is not a Guard. And in my estimation, never will be on any level. But I think he could, and probably will, be a pretty good SF in a few years. But in his one year at UK, I just want to see him do the things and be used in the ways that help the team win. Right now I think that's rebounding, defending, and scoring pull-ups in the lane and at the rim.

It could be argued that we should be relying more on the 3 (as long as the right people are taking the three).
Prior to today, we averaged 27 3PTA/game. Today we had 17 3PTA. seems like a statistically significant number
Yeah, this is just another one of those mind numbing head scratchers. Just thought maybe not THIS year. Frustrating

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT