ADVERTISEMENT

Offense: If not this season, next season

wildcatbd21

Sophomore
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
Sellersburg, IN
I don't think we have had a season with a 3000 yard passer, 1000 yard rusher, and 1000 yard receiver since the 2007-2008 season. Does anyone think the team can do it?

Do I think this is possible Yes? Do I think it is likely No?

I would prefer we had a defense that could limit teams to less than 300 yards a game

Reactions: shutzhund
I think Towles will have >3,000 yds passing.....and probably a few hundred yds rushing. I'm thinking total yds in the vacinity of 3,500.

I don't think we'll see a 1,000 WR in 2015. We haven't seen a WR step forward as the "go-to" guy yet......and the ball will be spread around to a lot of receiving options.

I do think that Boom is capable of being a 1,000 yd back. I think to some extent that Jojo is as well. However, it will be a 3 headed committee of Boom, Horton, and Kemp.

I think Towles will have >3,000 yds passing.....and probably a few hundred yds rushing. I'm thinking total yds in the vacinity of 3,500.

I don't think we'll see a 1,000 WR in 2015. We haven't seen a WR step forward as the "go-to" guy yet......and the ball will be spread around to a lot of receiving options.

I do think that Boom is capable of being a 1,000 yd back. I think to some extent that Jojo is as well. However, it will be a 3 headed committee of Boom, Horton, and Kemp.

Garret Johnson will be that guy.....

^Well, he's one of about 4-5 guys who certainly have the ability. As of right now he has only had 1 game where he looked like "the guy."

I don't think we have had a season with a 3000 yard passer, 1000 yard rusher, and 1000 yard receiver since the 2007-2008 season. Does anyone think the team can do it?

I think it might be a slight stretch to have all three this season (the 1000 yard receiver seems like the least likely) but next season it seems entirely possible if not likely

I can't see all 3 because I don't see that being the offensive philosophy. For one, Boom may have the ability but with so many RB's to spread the attack with it would be difficult. Think you might get one of the 3 with Towles being most likely bc that's about a 230 yd avg over 13 games. To have all three you would have to put up a lot of points. Don't thing we're close to that yet.

Seems fans are forgetting how poor the O-Line was last year.
Another year older doesn't make them better.

There is some depth this year that will help.
Much more talent on the way.

I'm not sold on how great the offense will be this season unless we see some major improvement
with the O-Line.

Reactions: jnewc2

I'm not sold on how great the offense will be this season unless we see some major improvement
with the O-Line.

Exactly. It all depends on the OL, as it does every year with every team. If the OL plays well, Towles can throw for over 3000. But I dont think we'll have a 1000 yard WR or RB. Just too many options at both positions.

Reactions: jnewc2
Offensive line will be much improved. Don't know about 1,000 yard receiver but think other two are doable. Also think for this to happen out defense must be vastly improve over last season and across the board think it will be!

with the O-Line.

I have to disagree with the theme of your post. At their age, a year older doesn't make you worse, they are a LONG way from being on the downhill slide, and they should be bigger and stronger as a group, with the big thing being another year of experience, four of five starters returning.

There is a LOT more depth this year, four of the five backups also return, PLUS some very good redshirts AND a true freshman most expect to not only add depth but some expect to start before the year ends. And yes, much more talent is on the way.

JMO but we WILL see some major improvement with the OL------Plus Towles in his second year as a starter will probably get rid of the ball sooner and make better decisions.

I can see a 1,000 yard rusher and 3,000 yard passer but not a 1,000 receiver. Boom has done enough to establish himself as a primary ball carrier. That plus Towles being uses less as a runner means more touches for Boom. 1,000 yards isn't really that ambitious for a back as long as he stays healthy. You're talking 85 yards per game on average. Boom will easily cross that if he stays healthy so you are only assuming no injuries to assume a 1,000 yard rusher.

3,000 yard passer is a little more difficult but still not that much. Towles was at 2,700 last year and assuming he progresses he should get 3,000. Towles has weaknesses at QB but they don't deal with raw yardage. Completion percent will be the challenge for him. Total yardage he should be able to get.

1,000 receiver will be very difficult because nobody has separated themselves. Timmons is the most likely but he disappears a lot. Johnson is the best overall receiver but is more of a slot receiver. You generally don't see those guys go over 1000 because they get shorter completions most of the time. A thousand yard receiver is more difficult than a 1000 yard runner because he won't get the number of catches consistently as a RB does. To get 1000 yard the receiver has to be a big play guy and needs to be a focal point of the offense. Timmons is big play enough but not yet a focal point. If Timmons becomes consistent he can do it but it would require a lot of improvement on his part.

Boom and Towles are both capable of accomplishing those things. Wr is just too up in the air at the moment. If we have a receiver put up those numbers then we will have a heck of year.

I think Timmons is the least likely. We'll have four or five receivers with over 500 yds, but I see no one likely to reach 1,000. Johnson, Baker, Montgomery and Badet more likely than Timmons.

I think Timmons is the least likely. We'll have four or five receivers with over 500 yds, but I see no one likely to reach 1,000. Johnson, Baker, Montgomery and Badet more likely than Timmons.
Even though I think Montgomery has the best hands on the team, I don't ever see him putting up big yardage numbers. Maybe receptions and touchdowns, but not yardage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT