ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing dumber

For some younger fans, the constant cycle of 5* onds is all they know at UK. They might be shocked to see that some guys can stick around for more than a year or two; and they might just morph into solid college players.

I’m not worried about the recruiting class. I’m worried about who Mitch settles with.

The fact is this class is nothing as good as last years and we still couldn’t pick up even 1 postseason win.

I think our focus needs to be on the next head coach.

For some younger fans, the constant cycle of 5* onds is all they know at UK. They might be shocked to see that some guys can stick around for more than a year or two; and they might just morph into solid college players.
Those days are over now with the transfer portal and NIL. College sports will never be the same.

Reactions: crestcat
Those days are over now with the transfer portal and NIL. College sports will never be the same.
In a sense, but the way UK has ran a roster is vastly different than the successful teams of the last 4-5 years.

Still will mostly comprise of OAD players even if they are older due to the portal and NIL. NIL with an open portal is worse than free agency in pro sports. At least in the pros there is a salary cap.

And at the same time we’ve seen ppl complain how bad players suck if they don’t produce immediately in year one. Go look at the Aaron Bradshaw transfer thread

The transfer portal and NIL destroyed the OAD and I can't wait to see who's next. I do worry about Mitch hiring the wrong person. Kentucky is not for everyone and fans are always in high demand.

Reactions: chroix
And at the same time we’ve seen ppl complain how bad players suck if they don’t produce immediately in year one. Go look at the Aaron Bradshaw transfer thread
As a program and fanbase, we definitely need a culture switch.

There is legitimate worry about who the next coach will be as long as Mitch calls the shots, and this worry can easily be parlayed into concern about not having much of a roster. The name of our new coach will tell us do we have a rebuild coming, or will we come out swinging hot and heavy next year.

Brother Mitch isn’t calling the shots. Not how this is going to work. I don’t even think Mitch wants to call the shots on this with the time he has left. The boosters ran Calipari out by cutting the money so they’ll have a lot of say. I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

I'm convinced some younger fans have been brainwashed to think the only thing that matters is the recruiting class ranking.

Most everyone got what they wanted and are gearing up on what to bitch about next. If they can't find something to pitch about they'll make it up. The funny thing is 90% don't know diddly squat about the sport of basketball. Let the comedy begin.

Only if we pay them enough to stick around. It's all about the money. As it should be. It's a job.

Some people have become more enthralled with dreaming of the recruits reaching their ceiling and what could be rather than realistic in the moment seeing them not come close to accomplishing anything.

Most everyone got what they wanted and are gearing up on what to bitch about next. If they can't find something to pitch about they'll make it up. The funny thing is 90% don't know diddly squat about the sport of basketball. Let the comedy begin.
Your favorite lord and savior didnt think he could fix things he broke and ran away like a coward. SO were the 90% of fans right ? Or Is Cal dumb as sh*t too ?

It might be a little bit of a blow if anyone believed that was the second most CBB-qualified group of kids that we used to have coming in. In reality, as each year passed Cal seemed to get better at bringing in kids who had high star power and low basketball worth (or at least low basketball worth playing under JVC).

There is legitimate worry about who the next coach will be as long as Mitch calls the shots, and this worry can easily be parlayed into concern about not having much of a roster. The name of our new coach will tell us do we have a rebuild coming, or will we come out swinging hot and heavy next year.
There may be worry but not legitimate worry.

I said many years ago, when he goes, it will take 2 or 3 years to make uk great again; so unless you can take that...be careful what you wish for
I think 95% of BBN can take that, NOW

I said many years ago, when he goes, it will take 2 or 3 years to make uk great again; so unless you can take that...be careful what you wish for

And the way things are now with transfer and NIL that it doesn’t need to take three and maybe not even two.

Well if you said it, then it must be true.

As it is, we haven't been great for at least 5 years already.

2 years is about all you're gonna get from top high school players. No matter where you are. Now you can recruit in state kids like Perry that will stick around.

Why would ANYONE care about the recruiting class when last year's class had THREE top 10 guys and still failed miserably? The current class (minus Knox who is no longer a part of it) is weak by comparison.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If we lose one recruiting class, well the school that loses the coach we hire is likely going to lose their class if you go by that logic. Might even get some of their experienced college players to transfer with them. In this portal era, a rebuild isn't as drastic as it was 5+ years ago.

Than the people crying that we are going to lose the second ranked class coming in. What will we do without all the one and dones?
Cal has had these classes for 9 years since he last in the final four and has done nothing except on decent run. What was going to change, if Cal stayed, UK wins about 20 games loses between 8 to 10, goes out early in the SEC tourney and loses in the first round of the NCAA tourney.

diddly squat?

💀

Reactions: chroix
Some people have become more enthralled with dreaming of the recruits reaching their ceiling and what could be rather than realistic in the moment seeing them not come close to accomplishing anything.
That "anything" ignores what "players first" was supposed to be: teaching the players the skills to succeed once they were being paid to do it. The two worlds -- college ball and pro ball -- demand different skill-sets. And fans weren't willing to enjoy the success that players had elsewhere. "Players First" was dicey to begin with, but over time became "Players Only". No man can serve two masters.

I don't think, with NIL and open transfers, that college sports can survive. And, for me, that's fine. Long before Calipari, I wished that colleges and universities weren't in the entertainment business. Now, universities have become landlords first -- modern super-expensive dorms are ludicrous -- entertainment providers second, and institutions of learning third.

Purdue lost to a 16 seed last year and a 15 in 2022. Let's stop pretending like they are the recipe for success UK wants to follow.

I’d trade for their results all day everyday. They kept a team together and are playing for a banner. We get bounced by teams you’ve never heard of.

There can be a balance. A fair few guys from my childhood : 2000 - 2008 were highly rated recruits who stuck around. Tayshaun could STILL hang if he were in college and with his range and the added emphasis on the 3 he may be even better now than he was for us back in the day. Patrick Patterson was THE MAN coming out of high school that was such a big deal getting him to commit. Joe Crawford, Randolph Morris, and Rondo was a huge class and all those guys stayed for more than one season.

UK's best teams - even under Cal, with maybe the exception of the 2017-18 team (and that's really only one of the best because of the sheer amount of talent on the team), had veteran presence and leadership. You have to have a mix. For every John Wall or DaJuan Wagner, you need an Aaron/Andrew Harrison, Darius Miller or Alex Poythress. That's just how it is.

not necessarily—with nil and a decent recruiting class i could see a coach coming in and winning sooner than later. pre nil i would agree with you.

Rising tide lifts all boats, right? At a certain point, the University and the fan's boats were going the other direction.

Get great players and win championships. Results are what matter. Calipari stopped delivering and left. Find the next guy and see if he can succeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT