ADVERTISEMENT

Not Ranked At All

canebreak

Senior
Jan 26, 2004
From the early polls I've seen we are not even in top 25. I kind of wonder if all the hype is just wishful thinking. Multiple rankings don't think much of our team. That is going to take some getting use to. I get it. It may even be worse to be ranked high in the pre-season just to lose your first game in the tournament. However, this is definitely different. Hopefully the roster isn't finished. It is weird to see teams like Alabama and Ohio State ranked higher than us. And Kansas keeps rolling. At least Arky ain't ranked.

We also just replaced our entire staff and roster. Expecting more would be unrealistic. I like this team and the makeup of it and think we do better than a lot of people think but regardless it was a total rebuild and deserves a little grace.

From the early polls I've seen we are not even in top 25. I kind of wonder if all the hype is just wishful thinking. Multiple rankings don't think much of our team. That is going to take some getting use to. I get it. It may even be worse to be ranked high in the pre-season just to lose your first game in the tournament. However, this is definitely different. Hopefully the roster isn't finished. It is weird to see teams like Alabama and Ohio State ranked higher than us. And Kansas keeps rolling. At least Arky ain't ranked.
Gone are the days of us being pre-season ranked in the top 10 to top 5 only for us to crap the bed and not make the tournament or lose the first game. Give Pope some time to add the final pieces and let's roll baby. I love this new direction. Oh I do think Pope will get us back to top 10 soon enough on a regular basis but this first year and somewhat next year may be more about building a strong foundation than anything else. Plus I am of the opinion it doesn't matter what any of the preseason polls or talking heads say. We have learned that better than anyone the last few years lol. Time we prove it on the court.

We still have to finish the roster, but lets talk about what we have now. The truth is, and it's uncomfortable, but this doesn't appear to be a top 25 roster. Now, that does not mean this team can't win a lot of games and make the tournament. Honestly we don't know how good any of these guys or coaches will be and nothing is guaranteed. All you can do is take things at face value and try not to be swayed by emotions and hope.

I see this roster as being comparable to what South carolina had last year. They managed to make some noise in the SEC but ultimately didn't have the horses in March. There is just so much unknown about what we can do this season and Afterall, we still don't have a complete roster. I'm gonna need to see some dynamic playmakers at least.

Preseason rankings are useless and only used for talking points. If you go look at the last several years, you will find a handful of preseason top 25 teams that don’t make the tournament.

And, as we saw in the last several years, a high preseason ranking doesn’t guarantee postseason success.

We currently do not have a Top-25 roster unfortunately. Just not in the cards as of yet.

Now, land 2 huge, high-impact guys like Robinson and Lanier (or Wooga), and suddenly that changes.

But yeah, we don't have a Top-25 roster currently.

A lot of Mark Pope's momentum is riding on landing a couple of big fish once the NBA draft deadline hits.

Can't have a disappointing first year otherwise it'll be harder to get top talent. Need kids believing in the vision of what he is building (him being a head coach that many of them had maybe never heard of before, certainly not a household name).

But I have full faith- the Lanier smoke seems real, and I do believe we'll get one of Robinson or Wooga, or maybe an out-of-the-blue commitment from someone like Kadary Richmond. I think Pope will close strong.

We currently do not have a Top-25 roster unfortunately. Just not in the cards as of yet.

Now, land 2 huge, high-impact guys like Robinson and Lanier (or Wooga), and suddenly that changes.

But yeah, we don't have a Top-25 roster currently.

A lot of Mark Pope's momentum is riding on landing a couple of big fish once the NBA draft deadline hits.

Can't have a disappointing first year otherwise it'll be harder to get top talent. Need kids believing in the vision of what he is building (him being a head coach that many of them had maybe never heard of before, certainly not a household name).

But I have full faith- the Lanier smoke seems real, and I do believe we'll get one of Robinson or Wooga, or maybe an out-of-the-blue commitment from someone like Kadary Richmond. I think Pope will close strong.

He’s nailed all of the other pieces. I have faith he’ll stick the landing with these pieces too. Or maybe land someone else no one has been talking about. He seems to have that knack.

A lot of these preseason ranking were “finalized” when we still only had 3 players on the roster. Even if they are posted in the last week…reality is the ppl making the list aren’t putting much effort or attention into CBB roster rn and won’t until the season gets a little closer. It’s all NBA and CFB focused for now.

When they start getting updated closer to the season beginning we will likely be top20 w the roster as is. Top 15 with an additional piece or 2.

People say that pre season rankings don't matter but they do. They are more indicative of tournament success than the finalized human polls. Polls tend to overvalue specific wins and losses.

But not right now tho. What we are on 5/7 when the roster isn't even finalized, it doesn't make any sense to put any stock into that.

Gone are the days of us being pre-season ranked in the top 10 to top 5 only for us to crap the bed and not make the tournament or lose the first game. Give Pope some time to add the final pieces and let's roll baby. I love this new direction. Oh I do think Pope will get us back to top 10 soon enough on a regular basis but this first year and somewhat next year may be more about building a strong foundation than anything else. Plus I am of the opinion it doesn't matter what any of the preseason polls or talking heads say. We have learned that better than anyone the last few years lol. Time we prove it on the court.
Pollsters stop giving us the benefit of the doubt several years ago. When Cal first got here and was tearing up the recruiting world and getting to Final Fours, they would give us a lofty ranking. but how many times in the past few years have we languished in the middle to lower half of the Top 25 if not out of it all together. We'd complain about Duke, Kansas, UNC all getting the benefit of the doubt like they do. It's because those people voting in the polls, other coaches, writers, analysts, etc., all could see that Cal was just mailing it in and put us where we deserved to be.

Reactions: dl51344
yea i mean, it's gonna take a lot of getting used to being significantly over rated pre-season and sucking all year. i just don't think i personally can handle it. I need good feelings and baseless inflated numbers and propaganda to keep me in good spirits because i mean lets face it, the only thing that matters is how we feel inside. honestly i mean who gives a damn about reality ! !

It beats beats being pre season top 5, getting our hopes up and then watching the team fade in and out of the top 25.
I don’t know what to expect with Pope’s first team and I don’t think anyone else does either.

People say that pre season rankings don't matter but they do. They are more indicative of tournament success than the finalized human polls. Polls tend to overvalue specific wins and losses.

But not right now tho. What we are on 5/7 when the roster isn't even finalized, it doesn't make any sense to put any stock into that.
they do not and wanting them to matter is mental illness.

Don't understand why fans get worked up over preseason polls.
Pre-preseason polls.

Plus, anyone can produce a poll. Mine includes the Cleveland Pipers, the Bad News Bears, and the Hartford Dark Blues.

Worriers simply like to worry because worry seems almost like action. There was that gone-in-60-seconds movie with Tom Hanks and Mark Rylance ... Bridge of Spies. Whenever the Hanks character asked the Rylance character why he wasn't worried, the Rylance character answered, "Would it help?"

Reactions: jrpross
Pre season means nothing. It's a meaningless talking point. This is for all sports as well.

All that matters is how the team builds a quality resume for the ncaa tournament.

Very well said!

Reactions: NociHTTP
Look at last years rankings and finish.
2023-2024
SchoolPre13-Nov8-JanFinal
Kansas
1​
1​
3​
19​
Duke
2​
9​
12​
9​
Purdue
3​
2​
1​
2​
Michigan State
4​
18​
Marquette
5​
4​
11​
12​
UConn
6​
5​
4​
1​
Houston
7​
6​
2​
3​
Creighton
8​
8​
22​
13​
Tennessee
9​
7​
5​
5​
Florida Atlantic
Gonzaga
Arizona
Miami (FL)
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Kentucky
San Diego State
Texas
UNC
Baylor
USC
Villanova
Saint Mary's
Alabama
Illinois

*Preseason top-25, out of final polls

Preseason unranked, who finished in top-25:

SchoolFinal
Iowa State
NC State
Clemson
Auburn
Utah State
Washington State
South Carolina
Dayton

We are undefeated

I wouldn't expect to be ranked pre-season. Nobody knows how the coaching staff or the roster will work out. Everything is being built from scratch. We have reasons to be optimistic, so we can focus on that and let the voters pick other teams.

Cal >>>>>>>

BYU finished in the top 20 of all computer rankings

If we get Robinson or someone like that, Pope will have upgraded every single position.

I will feel very confident about the roster we have mixed with Pope's coaching style

Reactions: UK67KU59
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT