ADVERTISEMENT

Honor Flight Kentucky

HymanKaplan

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2001
Went to the airport last night to greet the Veterans coming back from their Honor Flight yesterday.

A friend of ours was on the flight with her Father, a Vietnam veteran, 3 Purple Hearts (he flew on the helis that went into combat zones to rescue/evacuate injured soldiers. Good grief, I can't even fathom the bravery/balls it took to do that. He even went back when he didn't have to.)

Anyway, I'd highly encourage folks to get on the website and find out when these are happening, and attend. It means so much to those veterans. Just a very moving experience.

Last edited:
Went to the airport last night to greet the Veterans coming back from their Honor Flight yesterday.

A friend of ours was on the flight with her Father, a Vietnam veteran, 3 Purple Hearts (he flew on the helis that went into combat zones to rescue/evacuate injured soldiers. Good grief, I can't even fathom the bravery/balls it took to do that. He even went back when he didn't have to.)

Anyway, I'd highly encourage folks to get on the website and find out when these are happening, and attend. It means so much to those veterans. Just a very moving experience.
Agree. One of my golf buddies flew helecopters in Vietnam. He plays very well considering his age. One of the nicest people I’ve ever met. I don’t ask about his time in war.

Yep, never ask a combat veteran about it. Butch, my friend's father doesn't talk about it, and I don't blame him. Just thank them and honor them. Vietnam vets, in particular, deserve to be honored. Not that everyone else doesn't either, but their initial experience coming home was very often not pleasant (which is a stain on this country), and maybe this helps make up for that in some small, albeit LONG overdue way.

You can disagree with that war (or any war if you want to), but these guys were not responsible for the politics of it. They deserve respect and appreciation.

I was honored a few years ago to be asked to accompany one of my closest friends on the flight. Unfortunately, he passed away 3 months shy of the flight. Let’s just say that some never returned from Nam even if they made it home. 🙁

God bless those heroes. All of them.

My uncle was a combat Marine in Vietnam. He's never talked about anything other than being there until the last couple of years. I knew he was MIA for a period, but some of the stories he's told me are pretty tough to take. I don't ask, but when he talks I feel obligated to listen.

My father (a Vietnam combat veteran) sponsored several of the early honor flights over a decade ago. Back then the flights prioritized getting WW2 vets to Washington to visit the war memorials. I got to go on one flight in 2008 with my dad in order to assist some of the veterans that needed help with wheelchairs, etc. Sen. Bob Dole met our group at the WW2 memorial as he was a big supporter of Honor Flight. We had a great time and the Veterans were truly touched by the cheering crowd that met us at the airport. I highly recommend supporting Honor Flight in any way that you can.

Last edited:
My Father (just turned 90), is a Korean War Vet (USS Forrestal, part of it's maiden crew) and I'm going through the process right now, to get him on a flight and accompany him.

(He went with me last night, and was moved to tears by it)

Normally when someone asks, I just concentrate on the good times and there were good times. Since I don't know any of you from Adam and you seem to be interested, I'll tell you some things even my wife and kids don't know. I flew over on a Flying Tiger. The Flying Tigers are an interesting story on it's on. Pappy Boyington of the old TV show was an original Flying Tiger.

We landed at Camh Rahn Bay about 10 at night. They were in the midst of a rocket attack. They herded us into a huge gym like quonset hut. They said get comfortable, you will spend the night here. The attack went on all night. Sometimes the rockets would land every couple of seconds, sometimes every couple of minutes. There was no place to go, no place to hide. Those who just arrived had no weapons and didn't know where the rockets were coming from anyhow. After an hour or so, you got used to it. The booms and vibrations were just background noise. You didn't pay any attention to it. About daylight, the rockets stopped and the workers came out and processed us through.

I was at several different places. I was working night security at DaNang (aka Rocket City). One night I was head of a SAT team. We were told to investigate/help with a situation in the Korean marine sector of the perimeter. When we got there, we found they had caught a prostitute trying to sneak on base. They had taken a slap flare, stuck it up her female part and set it off. She was literally burning to death from inside her body. Her screams were primal sounds, not human. Sometimes at night if things are quiet, I can still hear them.

The rest of my tour was at Tan My LORAN station. It was a Coast Guard radar station near the DMZ. The CG had no security force, so we provided security. I was Asst NCOIC of security. There was no GPS back then, so we had state of the art radar to guide our ships and planes . Every bomb that was dropped or every big gun the Navy fired was guided by our radar. That in itself bothers me. Some civilians from the nearby village of Tan My worked on the station doing menial labor. One night the Viet Cong raided the village and killed everyone who worked for us. One was a sweet innocent teenage girl named Bien. Part of Bien's job was cleaning our security office, so I saw and spoke to her almost daily. Imagine going through life knowing someone was killed for cleaning your toilet. I think about that and Bien most everyday of my life. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is for me to ask someone for help.

They used to have this traveling wall. They would take it from city to city where the vets could see it. When it came to my area, my daughter wanted to take me. I didn't want to go, but she was excited to be doing something for me, so I went to please her. It's not something I care for.

Damn bernie...

Shew wee. I have no words. 🤕

I honestly don't know how one can get on with life, after seeing things like that. And not to get political, but it makes me all the more furious at how our government ****ed Veterans over. It's truly descpicable.

(Read a biography on Chennault and the Flying Tigers years ago)

Last edited:
Ran this a couple years in a row. Probably run it again this year. They have it at Keeneland. Get there a little early and you can walk around the premises and watch several horses practicing and training on the track. The race goes through the grounds of Keeneland to raise money for the Honor Flights.

This year the race is on June 8.

No Greater Honor 5K

Thanks guys, but a lot of folks had it worse than me and some didn't come back at all.
I understand, and I thank God for those brave souls. You are here now, so I want to thank you.

I'm forever grateful for our military veterans and what they have provided America. Grateful doesn't even seem like a strong enough word tbh. I'm very lucky to have been born in America, and I don't ever take that for granted.

Normally when someone asks, I just concentrate on the good times and there were good times. Since I don't know any of you from Adam and you seem to be interested, I'll tell you some things even my wife and kids don't know. I flew over on a Flying Tiger. The Flying Tigers are an interesting story on it's on. Pappy Boyington of the old TV show was an original Flying Tiger.

We landed at Camh Rahn Bay about 10 at night. They were in the midst of a rocket attack. They herded us into a huge gym like quonset hut. They said get comfortable, you will spend the night here. The attack went on all night. Sometimes the rockets would land every couple of seconds, sometimes every couple of minutes. There was no place to go, no place to hide. Those who just arrived had no weapons and didn't know where the rockets were coming from anyhow. After an hour or so, you got used to it. The booms and vibrations were just background noise. You didn't pay any attention to it. About daylight, the rockets stopped and the workers came out and processed us through.

I was at several different places. I was working night security at DaNang (aka Rocket City). One night I was head of a SAT team. We were told to investigate/help with a situation in the Korean marine sector of the perimeter. When we got there, we found they had caught a prostitute trying to sneak on base. They had taken a slap flare, stuck it up her female part and set it off. She was literally burning to death from inside her body. Her screams were primal sounds, not human. Sometimes at night if things are quiet, I can still hear them.

The rest of my tour was at Tan My LORAN station. It was a Coast Guard radar station near the DMZ. The CG had no security force, so we provided security. I was Asst NCOIC of security. There was no GPS back then, so we had state of the art radar to guide our ships and planes . Every bomb that was dropped or every big gun the Navy fired was guided by our radar. That in itself bothers me. Some civilians from the nearby village of Tan My worked on the station doing menial labor. One night the Viet Cong raided the village and killed everyone who worked for us. One was a sweet innocent teenage girl named Bien. Part of Bien's job was cleaning our security office, so I saw and spoke to her almost daily. Imagine going through life knowing someone was killed for cleaning your toilet. I think about that and Bien most everyday of my life. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is for me to ask someone for help.

They used to have this traveling wall. They would take it from city to city where the vets could see it. When it came to my area, my daughter wanted to take me. I didn't want to go, but she was excited to be doing something for me, so I went to please her. It's not something I care for.
Dad was in Nam. He never spoke of it but has been letting little things out here lately. He's almost 79 so I guess he figures he has to get things off his mind. He often mentions DaNang. Both his Brothers were over there but only two made it back. My Uncle stepped on a landmine and died instantly. I remember my Grandma telling me when she got the knock on the door, she asked what time it would've been Stateside that he passed and it was the same time she got woke up in the middle of the night telling my Grandpa she heard a loud explosion. I got goosebumps just typing that. God Bless you Sir and thank you for doing something I never would have the courage to do.

Dad was in Nam. He never spoke of it but has been letting little things out here lately. He's almost 79 so I guess he figures he has to get things off his mind. He often mentions DaNang. Both his Brothers were over there but only two made it back. My Uncle stepped on a landmine and died instantly. I remember my Grandma telling me when she got the knock on the door, she asked what time it would've been Stateside that he passed and it was the same time she got woke up in the middle of the night telling my Grandpa she heard a loud explosion. I got goosebumps just typing that. God Bless you Sir and thank you for doing something I never would have the courage to do.
You might surprise yourself. Most guys with proper training do just fine. That said, an interesting story about DaNang. . there were several nationalities and branches of service there. Each was responsible for a section of perimeter. We had a new guy come in country. He was an E-8 and 25 year vet and was in charge of our sector at night. He started seeing and hearing things that weren't there. He was ordering guys to return fire at the enemy when there was no one there and no one shooting at us. After a few nights of that, they sent him back stateside for a psych eval.

My uncle was a combat Marine in Vietnam. He's never talked about anything other than being there until the last couple of years. I knew he was MIA for a period, but some of the stories he's told me are pretty tough to take. I don't ask, but when he talks I feel obligated to listen.
I also had an uncle who was a combat marine there. A few stories he tells about things he needed to do to survive was harrowing.

You might surprise yourself. Most guys with proper training do just fine. That said, an interesting story about DaNang. . there were several nationalities and branches of service there. Each was responsible for a section of perimeter. We had a new guy come in country. He was an E-8 and 25 year vet and was in charge of our sector at night. He started seeing and hearing things that weren't there. He was ordering guys to return fire at the enemy when there was no one there and no one shooting at us. After a few nights of that, they sent him back stateside for a psych eval.
Had a buck sergeant on guard duty in the gulf load an M110A1 howitzer with its 208lb projectile and 7 bags of powder trying to direct fire on an area he said he saw enemy soldiers crawling towards our encampment. Instead of using the M60 machine gun which he had ammo for, he decided to load the howitzer and direct the tube in the direction where he thought he saw the enemy crawling. Since the ground war had not started yet we were not issued the primers that ignite the powder to fire the howitzer. So, he lit a cigarette and stuff it in the primer hole attempting to set it off. Needless to say, it did not work. He was taken off guard duty and a few days later after crying in the corner of the Saudi tent we bunked in, he was sent to an Army mobile hospital for a mental eval and eventually sent home.

My Father (just turned 90), is a Korean War Vet (USS Forrestal, part of it's maiden crew) and I'm going through the process right now, to get him on a flight and accompany him.

My dad was on the USS Forrestal, in Vietnam, when it caught on fire due to a missile becoming dislodged from a fighter jet that slid across the deck and exploded.

A college friend of mine attends a lot of these, and I see them on her social media. I messaged to ask her about it and she passed along some info, but I’m ashamed to say I’ve not made it there myself. I plan to change that at the next one.

Thank you to all who have served.

My dad was a Korean Vet as well. He took the flight when he was 88 or 89. He had a great time and talked about for weeks. I didn't get to go which sucked but he had a great chaperone who took pictures and made an album for him. It's a great program.

If you can, go with your dad. You'll be glad you did.

WDRB is doing a special on the most recent flight (they traveled with them) that will air Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day.

Reactions: kyeric
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT