ADVERTISEMENT

No Defense or Discipline

I'm not freaking, and enjoying the night, but the Def is a legit problem. You can't have a killer team without a killer instinct. This team can put up points, but can't stop anyone. You don't win six tournament games in a row with that formula. ...but, there's still time.

I have a crazy thought. What if they don't need defense?
200w.gif

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
DEF EFF dropped from 59 to start the game to now 74.

It's ok though no need to worry as some fans said we scored 105 what is there to worry about ?

How dare they not try to block all of those free throws. We need to bring back Billy G so he can teach everyone to guard the basket on a free throw.

It is but you can’t rely that, especially since games slow down in March and become half court games
While I agree with your needs-to-improve-on-defense argument, I think their average scoring is saying otherwise after 17 games. They're pretty consistent with scoring. They have an insane number of scoring options on this team.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
So what happened at the UNCW game? It just takes one game in March when you have an off game shooting and a consistently bad defense to go home for the season. If we had a really good defense we would be unstoppable, but we are far from that.

Did we have Z, Bradshaw, Ugonna and Wagner that game? Silly comparison IMO.

But bro we won. People acting like people complaining about the defense are just mad that we let UGA score 90 this game. It's the lack of foresight that's hilarious. We can't give up 61 in the 2nd half in march.

Oh yeah, those people. They'll tell you that Cal didn't change the offense this year, and we are running the same out-of-bounds plays that we have every season too. Just starting working better this year. Got better players.

What do I need to understand? We allowed GA to get back in this game. At home. With 7-foot generational talent having a big night.

You’re gonna understand in March when we go home on the second weekend or before when we have an off night offensively. Defense can show up every night. Offense can go in a minute and boom it’s over.
You honestly have no clue about basketball do you?? The other guy is 100% right and you’re truly clueless.

Reactions: Seakat311
And giving up as many points as they did, to Georgia, is why they could easily exit in the 2nd or 3rd round. The focus just isn't there. I'm really surprised for a Cal team, to be honest.
Another worrier that doesn’t have a clue about basketball. We coasted most of the second half, didn’t have to play lol. When you get out of your teenage years you’ll understand.

After we allowed them score like they did our kenpom went from ranked in the 50's to the 70's. By the time the season is over we will be the worst defensive team in the nation. Mostly because let's them coast in to finish line. Is he even aware of how this will hurt us in march?

Reactions: NociHTTP
Did we have Z, Bradshaw, Ugonna and Wagner that game? Silly comparison IMO.
The defense has been the same before and after the bigs came back. Our opponents are averaging over 80 ppg this season. Thats including the cupcake games. The last three games our opponents have all had over 90.

Haters gonna hate. This game was over at halftime.

Pitino can suck one. Cal owns him.

St John’s fans really shouldn’t be here.

Casual UK fans run this board.

Reactions: Seakat311
After we allowed them score like they did our kenpom went from ranked in the 50's to the 70's. By the time the season is over we will be the worst defensive team in the nation. Mostly because let's them coast in to finish line. Is he even aware of how this will hurt us in march?
Kenpompom numbers are phoney as hell.

I hope the players and coaches don’t have this mentality.
We need DJ and RD to be sticky in your face defenders. No reason why they can't do that. They have all the athletic abilities you need to be complete guards. I honestly don't think Sheppard has the lateral quickness to be that guy. Reeves in 2 years hasn't shown that ability either...
I hope with Z we can drop Mitchells minutes, and it causes the other bigs to give max effort fighting for minutes!
Big Z really opened the floor for our guards, and I think with more minutes he might challenge some of those drives by the opposing guards..

Reactions: NociHTTP
What is irritating to me is the collapsing off ball defender leading to an open 3. I may stab myself in the eye if this continues.

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT