ADVERTISEMENT

NIL

I don’t know if what they get is even close to what they’re asking for. I wish they were available to the public, but that’s not happening.

This is how we're going to have to do it. What about UK seperates us from the rest? The fanbase. Have to tap into that as best we can.

Said it before and I'll say it again.. find a way to make this some sort of tiered membership, where your $100 yearly donation gets you a signed basketball but for $200 you get a basketball and a poster. No, those probably aren't worth the money you're giving.. but it's a nice incentive. Those items will be cheap if purchased in bulk, and then you just have a signing session with the team.

But yes, we're going to need the fan support here.. It won't be our legacy, it's not our facilities, it's not local businesses giving to NIL.. the fans will move the needle for UK.

That's wonderful news. But the sad thing is that it doesn't appear to be in the ballpark of what's needed. And significant contributions from the general fanbase is not sustainable. That will die off once the excitement of a new coach fades.

Individual players are reportedly being offered $1+ million. $2+ million if you believe the Cliff Omuruyi thing, which I don't believe is $2m upfront cash. We need more context to how these disbursements are being structured because the numbers being thrown around don't add up.

Last edited:
It’s a nice start but I swear we could do a LOT better than that if they can just really get the word out about Club Blue. If you fill Rupp Arena with people giving the $41/month level, that’s a million dollars a month towards NIL. And I don’t think that would be all that out of reach given the turnout and the excitement in the building that day, which has only grown and spread over the past three weeks of Booms. I really just think they have to advertise the opportunity and the need. Hey Mitch: how about some of that extra salary that didn’t go to Danny Hurley? Why not throw a little of that at advertising Club Blue?

I don't think you should empty out your bank account for these so called great players. Recruit the guys that want to play for us. Some of these folks are simply looking for the million dollar handouts. We invested in a coach that will find us the best group of basketball players across this globe.

This is how we're going to have to do it. What about UK seperates us from the rest? The fanbase. Have to tap into that as best we can.

Said it before and I'll say it again.. find a way to make this some sort of tiered membership, where your $100 yearly donation gets you a signed basketball but for $200 you get a basketball and a poster. No, those probably aren't worth the money you're giving.. but it's a nice incentive. Those items will be cheap if purchased in bulk, and then you just have a signing session with the team.

But yes, we're going to need the fan support here.. It won't be our legacy, it's not our facilities, it's not local businesses giving to NIL.. the fans will move the needle for UK.
Nice infomercial.

Reactions: jrpross
How about Mitch and the Athletic Department cut the K Fund donation requirements down on season ticket purchases and give ticket holders the option to redirect the difference to the Club Blue fund instead?

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL

I love the idea, but that it potentially thousands of autographs. Not sure that would be feasible.

I don't think you should empty out your bank account for these so called great players. Recruit the guys that want to play for us. Some of these folks are simply looking for the million dollar handouts. We invested in a coach that will find us the best group of basketball players across this globe.
Well I will tell you this, in this day and age, if you are banking on completing a competitive roster solely on guys who will "play for free" or not get good compensation, you are in for a rude awakening. The days of "I want to play for KY, it is an honor" are OVER. Even the guys who say UK is a great, rich tradition school, still want to get compensated just like everyone else.

Individual players are reportedly being offered $1+ million. $2+ million if you believe the Cliff Omuruyi thing, which I don't believe is $2m upfront cash. We need more context to how these disbursements are being structured because the numbers being thrown around don't add up.
Yeah it has always been this mystery around what the numbers actually are. I think the numbers we hear are overblown.

How about Mitch and the Athletic Department cut the K Fund donation requirements down on season ticket purchases and give ticket holders the option to redirect the difference to the Club Blue fund instead?
Talked about that with the family. Would prefer giving to Club Blue but don’t want to give up holding the season tickets. Like your idea but not sure the NCAA wouldn’t view these credits as UK-direct fundings of NIL

Tell me with a straight face that if you had a kid who was offered a half million dollars to play somewhere else that you’d want him to play at Kentucky for free.

All well & good to brag about numbers

Start using them, buy Lanier! I cannot in any universe believe Knoxville has more basketball NIL than what we are talking about having.
I agree! But something isn't quite adding up when Kentucky has literally struck out on every top-tier tranfer in the portal and getting beat by the likes of St. John's, Baylor and Alabama. If it really is only about the money like we are being told, then there is no excuse that Kentucky doesn't at least get a few of these transfers that are at the top of our list.

Reactions: track42
Okay, so what do we do after we run out of old dudes with eligibility, five year olds, and maybe some DIII players?

We cannot pay a coach our way out of reality no matter who you get or what you can pay them.

Hurley, Davis, and Scheyer have to pay too.

Tell me with a straight face that if you had a kid who was offered a half million dollars to play somewhere else that you’d want him to play at Kentucky for free.

I never said free but not the farm either. Of course if my child can make a half million on a university more than likely I would say son you got to take a serious look at the offer but ultimately it would be his decision to make. But every Tom Dick and Harry is asking for the bag but not everybody is worthy! I just hope the staff do their due diligence before they offer anybody that sum of money.

Reactions: KFuqua
I never said free but not the farm either. Of course if my child can make a half million on a university more than likely I would say son you got to take a serious look at the offer but ultimately it would be his decision to make. But every Tom Dick and Harry is asking for the bag but not everybody is worthy! I just hope the staff do their due diligence before they offer anybody that sum of money.
Worthy is dictated by the market and relative value rather than our opinions.

That's wonderful news. But the sad thing is that it doesn't appear to be in the ballpark of what's needed. And significant contributions from the general fanbase is not sustainable. That will die off once the excitement of a new coach fades.
I must have missed where they said the 650K was the top of the mountain. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Common sense says this will crash sooner or later. Not NIL, but these wild deals simply can't keep going unless the NBA divides the NCAA into farm team and pays em.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yeah it has always been this mystery around what the numbers actually are. I think the numbers we hear are overblown.
There's going to be all kinds of reneging on some of these deals with teams as they are doing whatever it takes to get the kid on campus and it will get to where kids go where there's structured deals set up by well-known companies.

Anybody living and dying by the results of college FB and BB in this NIL and portal era is wasting their time IMO. It's a total crap-shoot but I love that we have one of our own as coach now with a fun style. I'll just kick back and enjoy it for what it ultimately is - entertainment.

Last edited:
So we have $5.7 million in NIL and couldn't afford Davis for $1.2 million?

I'm guessing no one on our roster has gone for more than $500,000.

Are we saving for Lanier and Robinson?

Last edited:

I agree, annual fan donations will be key in competing. Obviously big donors will make the most but if we can supplement 1-2 million a year it will go a long way.

Common sense says this will crash sooner or later. Not NIL, but these wild deals simply can't keep going unless the NBA divides the NCAA into farm team and pays em.
Eventually players will be employees of the school, then Nike and commercial interests can foot the bill. Receipts and tax revenue will be public and we can put an actual number on who was making what $ and these ridiculous rumor numbers will go away.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
It’s a nice start but I swear we could do a LOT better than that if they can just really get the word out about Club Blue. If you fill Rupp Arena with people giving the $41/month level, that’s a million dollars a month towards NIL. And I don’t think that would be all that out of reach given the turnout and the excitement in the building that day, which has only grown and spread over the past three weeks of Booms. I really just think they have to advertise the opportunity and the need. Hey Mitch: how about some of that extra salary that didn’t go to Danny Hurley? Why not throw a little of that at advertising Club Blue?
I would do $41 a month especially if they send gear or a signed item or something with it at the end of the year or something. Tickets to a game.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Unfortunately the vast majority of players are mercs now. If we want talent, we will have to pay.

I don’t know if what they get is even close to what they’re asking for. I wish they were available to the public, but that’s not happening.
At UK or other places? Because they’re getting up to seven figures each at a few places. There’s a website that shows the exact amount, not just rumored amount

Most don’t believe it because they don’t want to or they don’t understand how small of an amount that is to some of these donors. Top Players were getting a million two decades or more ago (should have seen the offers my teammates Keith Bogans and Joe Forte got as Jr’s in HS) so a million, two, ten is peanuts. Some blow that in a night in vegas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT