ADVERTISEMENT

NIL tweet for JQ

Detroit Diarra GIF by BET Plus

Reactions: JrandoUK
I doubt anyone 2 years from now will be willing to pay an incoming freshmen anything near what veteran portal transfers will command.

Pay for performance, not play

Wow. That sounds more like real NIL. Would that day truly come?

JQ will have a typical big man athlete first year. He would be worth something his sophomore or junior years, most likely. But, he will jump to the NBA, regardless of his draft position and that money will not have bought much.

The transfers and NIL situation are already out of control and the NCAA has already rolled over and surrendered. It's going to be the wild west and some schools will have to drop sports all together because of all this silly sh--, that's only going to get worse. It's highest bidder wins, no cap, just like musical chairs for players changing schools with no penalties. Ticket prices will be going up and all of this will lead to coaches being replaced every two or three years and the spoiled rotten players will be calling all the shots, it's a sad day for college basketball.

I'm not paying some unproven in the college game 16 year old a million and a half. That's the case I'm glad we got out of that.
Money best spent somewhere else

It's a pretty tough pill to swallow, paying an unknown freshman $1,000,000.. without knowing if they will suck or not. Yeah, I'd like to get away from this also. It's one thing to pay for transfers.. but unproven freshman? I'd make a system where if you get x amount of wins and stats, you get y amount of money.. and they'd probably never go for that,

• Love
Reactions: Blueereer6
Even when he was coming to UK I was skeptical of a 16-yr old big man playing in the SEC. I mean Bradshaw and Z got pushed around like rag dolls. If a freshman big is going to have an impact they need a physique like Demarcus Cousins or Bam.

Reactions: westerncat
Damn going from $500k to $1.5 million. JQ must love the fact that Cal left, looks like it'll get him a huge payday.
If it was $500k up front then who knows from there. If you get 500 up front and 10k per game that’s up to 900k. So a 1.5 mil deal could be 750k up front (then pay back 500k to “La Familia”) then about 20k per game.

The kids should get money because they make these schools millions, but idk how you can justify the way things are going right now ... if they want that type of money they need to sign a contract for a certain amount of time and also now since you want grown folk money you have grown folk expectations, if you fail to produce and you dont play well, you ain't getting all that money.

If JQ goes with Kal, then Z will look even dumber for his decision to follow the guy that already misused him. We already know that Kal will showcase the guys he made promises to.

Players now getting paid. Open market bidding. Yet we'll still hear 'student athletes' at times.
I wonder...when these players get into college, which is quite a leap from H.S., and don't perform nearly as expected....how quickly will the fan base (ours and others) turn on them?

Paying for a 'college' player is totally different than the pros. Or is it?

Reactions: Girthang and BBUK
What I saw in the all-star game did not impress me. He will get abused and schooled by older centers and his best days will be like the typical Cal recruits, a few years after leaving for the NBA. I would not pay that kind of $$$ for him at all.

It's a pretty tough pill to swallow, paying an unknown freshman $1,000,000.. without knowing if they will suck or not. Yeah, I'd like to get away from this also. It's one thing to pay for transfers.. but unproven freshman? I'd make a system where if you get x amount of wins and stats, you get y amount of money.. and they'd probably never go for that,
Dont say freshman, say unproven 16 year old. Can he even drive?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT