ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Discussion

shidler25

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
Crossville, Illinois
Since we don't have a lot to talk about this morning yet I thought I'd see what everyone's thoughts were about somehow tweaking the way NIL is working now. I just don't think the current system is healthy for college sports and I'm afraid fans will eventually lose interest, at least not be as invested. Currently it's turning into rosters being in turnovers every year and going to the highest bidders. It's honestly not healthy for the student athlete or the Universities.

I've always thought athletes should get some form of compensation so I'm cool with that. The NCAA and Universities have literally made billions of of student athletes for years. I understand the student athletes received a free education but I'm still in favor of compensation above that, my problem is with the system itself.

What are your thoughts on possible fixes? For me possibly something like a minimum 2 year contract before you could transfer without setting out. At least that would stop some of the turnover. If the student athlete wants out after 1 year to either turn probor transfer there would be no financial penalties, however they would have to sit out a year without losing any eligibility. That gives them a way out in case it's a toxic situation without losing eligibility. I fortunately it also seems fair that if a coach leaves or a family situation arises that there should be some type of waiver. The problem is that would mean the NCAA would need to decide on a case by case situation and I don't trust the NCAA to be unbiased or do so in a timely fashion. The head coach leaving shouldn't need any type of waiver.

I'd be curious to hear some of your suggestions.

Reactions: flg2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News