ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Budget … how do you distribute it …

rbs

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
… everybody is essentially in the same position trying to determine how best to distribute their NIL budget … that’s what this has become. So, you have to (a) rely on analytics and ability to identity talent that gives the best ROI, and (2) have a coaching staff that can get the most out of that collection of talent … that’s where this crazy game appears to be now.

It takes a whole new set of administration and coaching staff skills to build a team.

With that said, how would you spend your $5M NIL budget?

HS recruits - both role players and future NBA players
Experienced role players
Experienced stars

Prefacing this saying I have no idea what the going rate is for NIL …

At UK, I think you need about 3 new HS prospects each year. 2 future NBA players and one that will hopefully stick around 3 years …. a local KY HS prospect may fit the need for example. Moving forward, I could envision programs not spending as much time and energy on recruiting a lot of HS prospects when they can just work the portal after watching how they develop. For sake of discussion, let’s say those players cost $1.5M

I think you need about 6 role players that have experience in college. For sake of discussion, can you fill these needs for $1M or so is a big question … this area is a critical component in filling out the roster and could be the difference between winning and losing seasons.

That leaves about 3-4 experienced stars in the budget For sake of discussion, let’s say this cost about 2.5M

It appears that out of a 13 player roster, you might be replacing 8 or so players every year …. has to be exhausting for a coaching staff.

How would you spend a $5M NIL budget?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News