ADVERTISEMENT

New Orleans restaurant and bar recs

We got a few groupon deals there to save money. We got the Le Meridian deal. 3 nights 4th free.

Avenue Pub is located Uptown on St Charles. I visited Dec 21st last year. Open 24/7/365. FYI, smoking permitted from Midnight until 10 AM. Outstanding beer selection. Friendly crowd on hand the morning I stopped by. The St Charles street car route runs in front of the pub. It stops every 30 minutes.

After leaving Avenue Pub, I hiked over to The Bulldog on Magazine St. Pub opens either 11 am or 11:30 am, depending on the day. You'll find a younger crowd (20s-30s) there. Wonderful draft beer selection. Both pubs are located in nicer, rustic parts of old New Orleans. I plan a return stop this coming December 26 while en-route to FL.

@PTI (pti) is a secret/closet foodie, and has lived down there for decades. He's got a blackbook of at least 50 places he can recommend, no matter what he says.

My 3 must-do's anytime I'm there as a turbo tourist

1.) Charbroiled Oysters (Drago's...Felix & Acme are good as well, but Drago GOAT)
2.) New Orleans BBQ Shrimp (pretty much anywhere. Mr B's had an excellent version on last trip)
3.) A great Po Boy w/ a classic side (Etouffee, Jam, etc)

Other than NYC, New Orleans is my favorite food town in the country...you really can't go wrong anywhere unless you are an idiot or you eat at a chain. It's just incredible pretty much everywhere.

Uptown New Orleans: check out either St. Charles Tavern or Samuel's Blind Pelican. Both located easy walking distance from Avenue Pub. Samuel's serves decent Po Boys and also offers oyster's @ $3/doz raw / $7.50/doz grilled during Happy Hour with beer purchase.

Reactions: weused2luvhim2
A visit to the former fat man's place (K-Paul's) is a must when I go. Try the blackened Louisiana Drum. It made the Food Channel's "Best Thing I Ever Ate Show".

34a04a0a498b459f63a713ab771e32ed.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, DYelp21

For you, I would suggest Cafe Lafitte in Exile. Make sure to go commando and use your Grindr app. upon arrival. Be sure to ask for cheese on whatever you order cause it will make it better.

Last edited:
Adolfo's on Frenchman Street. It's a tiny old school dive but it's absolutely fantastic.

Get the grouper with the ocean sauce.

YWIA.

For a nice lunch or dinner, Commander's Palace is my favorite restaurant in the South. Reservations will probably be needed this time of year and may be difficult to get. Enjoy!

This is always the problem with travelling threads. You get 300 different great places to eat and you only have 3 or 4 days to do them.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Do Friday Lunch at Gallatoire's if you are there Friday AM. Get in line early - one of the most unique dining situations I've ever been in. 3 hour lunch, everyone gets completely hammered and then goes to a bar across the street completely sloshed at 3:30 in the afternoon. Incredible food too.

We also did a cooking class at whatever cooking school is in the Quarter. It's worth the time - cook some local food and drink some local beer.

Do Friday Lunch at Gallatoire's if you are there Friday AM. Get in line early - one of the most unique dining situations I've ever been in. 3 hour lunch, everyone gets completely hammered and then goes to a bar across the street completely sloshed at 3:30 in the afternoon. Incredible food too.

We also did a cooking class at whatever cooking school is in the Quarter. It's worth the time - cook some local food and drink some local beer.
NOLA Brewing produces some fairly decent beers. Couple other brewpubs are also located in the area.

This guy was the head chef at Commander's Palace for about 8 years in the 1980s before starting off on his own. Emeril actually took over after Paul Prudhomme left. Lots of great chefs have worked at that place.

emeril-lagasse-bam-pic.jpg

it has been a few years but i remember a few places...Dickie Brennan's was pretty good....Acme was good. You are in a food mecca in New Orleans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT