ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Investigation of Ole Miss Football

Step 1) Step father lays hands on Laremy Tunsil's mother
Step 2) Laremy Tunsil is a 6'5, 310# monster athlete
Step 3) Step father catches an ass whoopin' from Tunsil
Step 4) Step father makes allegations that will damage Tunsil's NFL stock

"Meh. "

Thing might be getting interesting in Oxford, Mississippi:

Tunsil was arrested on June 27 after allegedly punching Miller. According to Tunsil he struck Miller to defend his mother, alleging Miller had shoved her. Miller claims that the altercation stemmed from an argument he had with Tunsil's mother about Laremy "riding around with football agents."

Which is what led to Miller's meeting with the NCAA on Friday.

The Clarion-Ledger reports that Miller's meeting with the NCAA's director of enforcement for football, Chris Howard, along with one other official for three hours on Friday. Miller would not comment on what was discussed in the meeting.

Along with the contact with agents -- which is not an NCAA violation as long as Tunsil doesn't sign a contract or accept impermissible benefits -- Miller also told the Clarion-Ledger that he knows of violations that took place during Tunsil's recruitment to Ole Miss. Miller alleges there were falsified academic records, as well as gifts like cash, clothes and help with car insurance payments.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...my-tunsils-stepfather-met-with-ncaa-officials

man it get interesting in the SEC during the off season. it's a wonder half of the league isn't on probation at times.

Could there be something not Kosher with that quick rebuild that Freeze made at Ole Miss.

i cant understand this. UK gets caught doing what we did and we get bowl ban, loss of schollies, and all kinds of bs to deal with and 99% of it was giving tshirts and paying for hotels for parents. now, all these other places have straight up major violations. miami, okie state, cam newton, unc, usc... all these schools did worse and got off easier than us. be curious to see if the ncaa uses ole miss as a scapegoat to say "hey, we came down hard on the sec, see?". but they are so incompetent that i expect them to blow this.

remember when ole miss coach challenged anyone with proof of cheating to send info to the ncaa and the ncaa said they received over 100 infractions sent to them that week? yea, it kinda just came and went just like the kids at okie state.

i cant understand this. UK gets caught doing what we did and we get bowl ban, loss of schollies, and all kinds of bs to deal with and 99% of it was giving tshirts and paying for hotels for parents. now, all these other places have straight up major violations. miami, okie state, cam newton, unc, usc... all these schools did worse and got off easier than us. be curious to see if the ncaa uses ole miss as a scapegoat to say "hey, we came down hard on the sec, see?". but they are so incompetent that i expect them to blow this.

remember when ole miss coach challenged anyone with proof of cheating to send info to the ncaa and the ncaa said they received over 100 infractions sent to them that week? yea, it kinda just came and went just like the kids at okie state.

The Ole Miss 2013 Class with Nkemdiche, Treadwell and Tunsil-(Three 5* Players) raised a lot of Eyebrows Nationwide...I know I know I expect to hear about Clint Hurtt-(even though UofL Class was only 29th)

I just wonder if his Step Father has any proof-(receipts...etc...etc)...if so wow Hugh Freeze maybe has a problem.

Maybe the new house his mother got will be proof, but if they take the AU route it won't be. Tunsil made one trip to OM 2 weeks before signing day, only trip he took there and he talked about the "game day experience" and he never attended an OM game until he suited up.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
Maybe the new house his mother got will be proof, but if they take the AU route it won't be. Tunsil made one trip to OM 2 weeks before signing day, only trip he took there and he talked about the "game day experience" and he never attended an OM game until he suited up.

"If" the Step Father is ready to talk taking the Auburn Route might not save them...but more then likely by the time they would rule Tunsil along with Treadwell and Nkemdiche will be in the NFL.

"If" the Step Father is ready to talk taking the Auburn Route might not save them...but more then likely by the time they would rule Tunsil along with Treadwell and Nkemdiche will be in the NFL.
the kid from okie state straight up told everyone he got paid, didnt go to class, and got all kinds of other benefits. anyone heard anything about sanctions? the ncaa is a joke at this point. unless they have a hard-on for you. you are gonna get the slap on the wrist or maybe even nothing at all.

the kid from okie state straight up told everyone he got paid, didnt go to class, and got all kinds of other benefits. anyone heard anything about sanctions? the ncaa is a joke at this point. unless they have a hard-on for you. you are gonna get the slap on the wrist or maybe even nothing at all.

Extremely True...

That just another one the NCAA hope it will take heat of University of North Carolina with there cheating ways.

I never heard anything about Nkemdiche or Threadwell getting extra benifits, Tunsil was a different story.

The NCAA has to tread lightly right now...
They need to set some precedents of letting schools get off with little to no penalty for blatant cheating in order to justify their letting UNC off easy.
For the next few years, I'd say that it will be a "free for all" when it comes to cheating because the NCAA has castrated itself.

A few UGA fans thought there something was rotten in Denmark when Robert Nkemdiche committed to Ole Miss even tho his older brother Denzel was already a Reb! Many LSU fans cried foul!

A few UGA fans thought there something was rotten in Denmark when Robert Nkemdiche committed to Ole Miss even tho his older brother Denzel was already a Reb! Many LSU fans cried foul!

No it wasn't him, he was never coming to UGA and most knew that. It was Tunsil who had told all the recruits he was coming to UGA and even had his roommates already picked and supposely the coaches but that is those famous silent commits. OM got him to visit for the first time 2 weekends before signing day for the first time, after that he wouldn't accept phone calls from our coaches or other commits and when a coach tried to visit someone came to the door in OM gear. Tunsil is the one UGA fans feel something was rotten about, not Nkemdiche. Lane Kiffin's brother I can't remember his name is their lead recruiter, he was also hit with a show cause sanction in his past for buying kids. OM is a school that might get made an example of by the NCAA, small school, small following, small state, haven't really done much in any sport in a long time. Wouldn't be a huge loss to the money machine the NCAA has become and would show everyone how they are on top of things, been a few years since USC was hit hard, bout time for another example.

I trust our staff will never go down this road. I want to win as much as the next person, but I want us doing it the right way. Might take a bit longer, but the payoff is worth it in the end. And when you show a kid you have no respect or honor right off the bat, how can those kids respect you in the end?

Not. Knoxville is.

Agree.

Looks like a family counselor is going to have a hell of a time putting this group back together, and he probably cost them a ton of money.

Of course the NCAA is completely incompetent and it takes something like this falling in their lap to get any action, but I keep wondering when Transfer U's (TU is to the south) house of Cards will all fall down. Surely jurich isn't omnipotent.

The Ole Miss 2013 Class with Nkemdiche, Treadwell and Tunsil-(Three 5* Players) raised a lot of Eyebrows Nationwide...I know I know I expect to hear about Clint Hurtt-(even though UofL Class was only 29th)

Not nearly as many eybrows as hurtt, proven cheater, getting four FOUR stars and EIGHT other Florida recruits to travel about a thousand miles from the beaches to a down and out program, should have raised with his 2011 (Strong was NOT the NROTY) class which won him his second NROTY award. Everyone knows the atrocious manner in which he won it at the U, but then the incompetent joke of the NCAA just wanted to run and hide after the way they massacred the investigation at the U, which resulted in another slap on the wrist. AND no investigation at Transfer U.

Maybe it has died down enough that now they can throw the book at Ole Miss to try to dispel their image as a joke. Like Tark said, the NCAA got so mad at UCLA for cheating they put Cleveland State on two years probation.

Reactions: ukfanjh
Hate to tell you this but Louisville been bring in players from Florida since Schnellenberger...only Kragthorpe didn't recruit that state for Louisville...Elvis Dumervil-(Miami Native) Will Gay, Jason Spitz etc...etc...all Louisville players and Florida natives that went on to NFL Careers

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldtrainer
Hate to tell you this but Louisville been bring in players from Florida since Schnellenberger...only Kragthorpe didn't recruit that state for Louisville...Elvis Dumervil-(Miami Native) Will Gay, Jason Spitz etc...etc...all Louisville players and Florida natives that went on to NFL Careers

Of those you listed how many were prop 48's? Was Elvis from Miami or Montgomery, Ala.?

Of those you listed how many were prop 48's? Was Elvis from Miami or Montgomery, Ala.?

None were "Prop 48" and Elvis is from Miami....Dumervil at first was a 4*....when he committed to Louisville he became a "3*" Star...Spitz is from Jacksonville and Gay from Tallahassee.

MORE than half that class from Florida.

MORE than half that class from Florida.
Uh...Jauk..go back and look at Schnellenberger, John L. Smith and Bob Petrino the first go around....Louisville has made a living recruiting the State of Florida since 1984..that is not in dispute...outside of the Florida Schools the University of Louisville had one of the most players of anyone from that state in College Football...Louisville doesn't recruit the Commonwealth of Kentucky-(outside of Jefferson County/Trinity and Male HS) or even Ohio that much....it is Florida, Alabama and Georgia with a touch of Mississippi.

Last edited:
They need to set some precedents of letting schools get off with little to no penalty for blatant cheating in order to justify their letting UNC off easy.
For the next few years, I'd say that it will be a "free for all" when it comes to cheating because the NCAA has castrated itself.

The NCAA isn't going to do a thing and if they did would it even matter...this is why I have my attitude about Power 5 Football and always say it is what it is...just look at what they did to Chip Kelly and the Oregon Ducks...the Ducks for the 2nd Time in 5 Years played for the title...in the end for them it was apparently worth it...Oregon, Chip Kelly and Willie Lyles...remember they just "caught" Oregon with $25K payments....no telling how much more they actually got away with:

The Ducks' football recruiting practices first came under scrutiny in March 2011 for a $25,000 payment to Lyles, who had close ties to several area recruits including running backs LaMichael James and Lache Seastrunk. Last October, the school submitted a proposal through the NCAA's summary disposition process that agreed to seven major rules violations and proposed self-imposed penalties including the loss of three scholarships over three years, a two-year probation and recruiting limitations.

The Committee on Infractions rejected the proposal and instead summoned the school to a hearing. But in the end, it largely accepted the school's self-imposed penalties. Oregon met with the Committee on Infractions in April in Dallas. Kelly also participated in the hearing.

The Committee on Infractions levied the following penalties:

• Public reprimand and censure.
  • Three years of probation from June 26, 2013, through June 25, 2016.
  • An 18-month show-cause order for the former head coach. The public report contains further details.
  • A one-year show-cause order for former assistant director of operations Josh Gibson, who the NCAA found to have served as a go-between with Lyles and the Oregon coaches.
  • A reduction of initial football scholarships by one from the maximum allowed (25) during the 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years (imposed by the university).
  • A reduction of total football scholarships by one from the maximum allowed (85) during the 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 academic years (imposed by the university).
  • A reduction of official paid football visits to from 56 to 37 for the 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 academic years.
  • A reduction of permissible football evaluation days from 42 to 36 in the fall of 2013, 2014 and 2015 and permissible football evaluation days from 168 to 144 in the spring of 2014, 2015 and 2016.
  • A ban on the subscription to recruiting services during the probation period.
  • A disassociation of Lyles.

Sankey noted the school's cooperation throughout the investigation. Through last March, according to documents released to media outlets through open-records requests, the school had paid $208,991 in legal fees to the law firm of Bond, Schoeneck & King.

Kelly worked directly with Lyles in the Ducks' recruiting efforts during the period in question. In a statement released by the Eagles, Kelly apologized to the school, current and former players and fans, and said, "I accept my share of responsibility for the actions that led to the penalties."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ootball-ncaa-investigation-probation/2459297/

Last edited:
If someone laid a single finger on my mother, I would shoot them. No if's, and or but's.

Dude got off easy IMO.

I never heard anything about Nkemdiche or Threadwell getting extra benifits, Tunsil was a different story.

Grumpy....do you remember this tweet from Treadwell on National Signing Day...the stack of $100 Bills after he committed to Ole Miss...not a Good Look:

Every year, some recruit takes a picture that gets him in hot water and starts a controversy prior to National Signing Day. This year, Ole Miss commit Laquan Treadwell, the nation's No. 1 receiver, decided to be that guy and posted a picture of his hand combing through a pile of money – mostly $100 bills.

r600x600.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ll-tweets-picture-money-175409921--ncaaf.html

I know this is football and I did not really read this thread but I would love to see Ole Miss tell the NCAA where they could go.

At least take care of the biggest scandal in history of the NCAA.. UNC first.

You are so right my man

Under certain circumstances, with hard work and great communication skills, new coaching staffs can sometimes make surprising recruiting impacts. The job Jamie Franklin did at Vandy is an example. Mark Stoops is another. But when you see what happened at Ole Miss as soon as Hugh Freeze arrived, with multiple 5 star players suddenly signing with a school that struggled to sign 3 star players before he got there, you can tell that some deep pocketed alumni have suddenly stepped up and started playing Nevin Shapiro games. How many times has Freeze swooped in at the last minute and signed elite high school players who had not been leaning toward Ole Miss? Too often to be explained by charisma. It was only a matter of time until Ole Miss got into NCAA trouble. This, by the way, was also Hurtt's signature trick. Since you brought it up.

Last edited:
Under certain circumstances, with hard work and great communication skills, new coaching staffs can sometimes make surprising recruiting impacts. The job Jamie Franklin did at Vandy is an example. Mark Stoops is another. But when you see what happened at Ole Miss as soon as Hugh Freeze arrived, with multiple 5 star players suddenly signing with a school that struggled to sign 3 star players before he got there, you can tell that some deep picketed alumni have suddenly stepped up and started playing Nevin Shapiro games. How many times has Freeze swooped in at the last minute and signed elite high school players who had not been leaning toward Ole Miss? Too often to be explained by charisma. It was only a matter of time until Ole Miss got into NCAA trouble. This, by the way, was also Hurtt's signature trick. Since you brought it up.

That Ole Miss Class had 3 of the Top 14 Players in the Country according to Rivals...Treadwell from Illinois, Nkemdiche from Georgia and Tunsil from Florida...

Grumpy....do you remember this tweet from Treadwell on National Signing Day...the stack of $100 Bills after he committed to Ole Miss...not a Good Look:

Every year, some recruit takes a picture that gets him in hot water and starts a controversy prior to National Signing Day. This year, Ole Miss commit Laquan Treadwell, the nation's No. 1 receiver, decided to be that guy and posted a picture of his hand combing through a pile of money – mostly $100 bills.

r600x600.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ll-tweets-picture-money-175409921--ncaaf.html

I remember several kids doing what you say, I am not saying Threadwell wasn't one of them, I just don't remember the names of any of them so if you say he is I will go with it too. But they signed his best friend the year before so I think they were on him early too. They signed the kid from Georgia and I am not going to start trying to spell his name, but they also signed his brother the year before and his dad who was a PHD, maybe in medicine was also offered a job at OM. But a coach who has done nothing in college going to a school who had done anything in 50+ years signing the class they did raised a few eyebrows. But OM will accept almost anyone, ignore almost any indescretions they do while there, safe place to attend if you have question marks in your character.

No one could said this any better!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT