ADVERTISEMENT

Mulder's Visit

3bombino96

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 19, 2008
I believe his visit is today, any insights on how his on campus visit has went?

My guess is there'll be something reported about how it went tonight or tomorrow morning.

Would be surprised if UK hasn't received a commitment from Mulder by the end of the weekend. Would be nice to build a little momentum and get some positive vibes going and hopefully land 1-2 more after him.

I'm all in on this guy! Really like what I hear about him and his game!

If I am not mistaken, I believe Dodson average right around 7 per game for us off the bench, I would expect this guys production to be right on par with that, That would be very solid coming off the bench, to go along with Mathews getting us hopefully around 8 per game. Unlike a lot of people on this board, I hope we start Alex at the 3 spot, along with Lee, Skal, Ulis, and Briscoe. That would be the most experienced line-up that Cal has ever put on the floor at Kentucky.

Not gonna start poy at the 3 since there would be no sub anywhere across the front line. If we only get mulder then he starts with Ulis and briscoe. Lee off the bench in the front court and Matthews at the 2/3. Willis may have to get some minutes.

This hasto be a 3 guard team and Murray would only further dictate that. Only getting diallo or another big is going to change that imo.

Lol...what does that even mean?
We think we know what kind of player he will be but we won't know till we see him play.If he is what we believe him to be we have not had a player like him in a while.Is that better?

Not gonna start poy at the 3 since there would be no sub anywhere across the front line. If we only get mulder then he starts with Ulis and briscoe. Lee off the bench in the front court and Matthews at the 2/3. Willis may have to get some minutes.

This hasto be a 3 guard team and Murray would only further dictate that. Only getting diallo or another big is going to change that imo.
Willis could come in and do what Vargas did for us in 2012 at the very least. Poy could split time between the 3 and the four, we are gonna be very thin and that will come back and bite us eventually if we are unable to add another big.

We think we know what kind of player he will be but we won't know till we see him play.If he is what we believe him to be we have not had a player like him in a while.Is that better?

I'm curious, what does everyone believe him to be that will be unlike any player we've has in a while? Most I've seen have him pegged as a borderline starter or come off the bench guy.

If I am not mistaken, I believe Dodson average right around 7 per game for us off the bench, I would expect this guys production to be right on par with that, That would be very solid coming off the bench, to go along with Mathews getting us hopefully around 8 per game. Unlike a lot of people on this board, I hope we start Alex at the 3 spot, along with Lee, Skal, Ulis, and Briscoe. That would be the most experienced line-up that Cal has ever put on the floor at Kentucky.

Alex is not a 3.

I'm curious, what does everyone believe him to be that will be unlike any player we've has in a while? Most I've seen have him pegged as a borderline starter or come off the bench guy.
I don't expect him to start,but if we don't sign anyone else he could.I expect him to shoot the 3 well,be able to get to the rim and be athletic enough to get his own shot.On the defensive side be able to guard the 2 or 3 spot and be a decent rebounder for his size.We haven't had a player that could do all those things in a while.

We don't exactly have many players coming through that will be here for more than 1 year, as well as having freak athleticism and excellent shooting ability all over the floor. Most you have seen are those who are on here.

Willis could come in and do what Vargas did for us in 2012 at the very least. Poy could split time between the 3 and the four, we are gonna be very thin and that will come back and bite us eventually if we are unable to add another big.

Yes poy can play some 3 and 4 wherever we need him at.

Reactions: joester5612
Mulder reminds me of Derrick Anderson. I think he'll be better for us than Dodson was. He can slash, get to the basket, play above the rim, not just spot up behind the three point line.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
Alex is not a 3 his balling handling and outside shooting needs a lot of work to play the 3. He is more of a 4 in collage. If wants to play in the NBA he needs to work on ball handling & his shooting. The question is weather or not how well he comes back from his injury. I'm praying that he will come back and have a great year.

Reactions: 3bombino96
I haven't seen any more of Mulder than anyone else on this board. What I have seen is a slightly better version of Doron Lamb. Mulder is slightly bigger and more athletic probably better on defense. He can play 2 or 3 depending on the opposition. I think he'll play 15 minutes a game assuming we don't get both Murray ( a similar but better player) and Diallo/Brown.
Mulder will stretch the floor and make it easier for Ulis/Brisoe to penetrate and dish. Just for the record, I do not think AP plays at the 3 whether or not we get Diallo/Maker/Brown/Ingram. I think we get Diallo and AP is first big off the bench) If we do not get Diallo, he is our 4 and we play 3 guards.

Reactions: westerncat
Anybody have an current information about Mulder's visit?

I think we've all expected him to commit during the visit. Anybody have any new information about whether that is likely to happen -- or not?

Poythress can defend the 3, so he can play the 3. Offensively, we will struggle a little bit with him at the 3, though.

But with Diallo, something will have to give. Poythress, Diallo, and Labissiere all need to start, so they start together.

Poythress can defend the 3, so he can play the 3. Offensively, we will struggle a little bit with him at the 3, though.

But with Diallo, something will have to give. Poythress, Diallo, and Labissiere all need to start, so they start together.

If UK lands Diallo (would be a huge get at this point), I could see Poythress playing the three spot at times. Even if Cal brings Alex or Diallo off the bench, both will play at least 25 minutes/game.

I am not expecting Diallo to come to UK so probably a moot point. I hated the "big" starting line up by year's end. I'd be fine with it if you have 3 guys down low that can score, but last year we had one in Towns, one in Lyle's who was ok/solid at times, but not at others, and one in WCS who was very rarely solid, and often disappeared.

I'd fear the same with that 3 you listed. I'd rather go 3 guards with Diallo or Poy off the bench. It would be nice to have someone off the bench at the 4/5 other than Lee.

I hope we get mulder though, think he can be a solid get for the team.

Hoping that Mulder will be more of Darius Miller. That is the type of player that is needed on this team.

I am not expecting Diallo to come to UK so probably a moot point. I hated the "big" starting line up by year's end. I'd be fine with it if you have 3 guys down low that can score, but last year we had one in Towns, one in Lyle's who was ok/solid at times, but not at others, and one in WCS who was very rarely solid, and often disappeared.

I'd fear the same with that 3 you listed. I'd rather go 3 guards with Diallo or Poy off the bench. It would be nice to have someone off the bench at the 4/5 other than Lee.

I hope we get mulder though, think he can be a solid get for the team.

I agree, I hope we see a lot of 3 guard with this team if we get Murray.

With Diallo and Murray, Poythress starts at 3, then slides to the 4 for a lot of the game, especially in late game situations.

We finish with Ulis at the 1, Briscoe at the 2, Murray at the 3, Poythress at the 4, and Diallo or Labissiere at the 5 in most tight games, IMHO.

Stuway and I would still like to know ...

Does anybody have any current information about Mulder's visit?

Poy is not a 3

You've at least said this 10 times that I've seen, but that didn't stop Cal last year. The thing is, if Poy weren't hurt, he would have played the 3 in the Final Four, and we likely would have won with him there. He's stronger, faster, and more athletic than most three men, who are typically the some of the better athletes on the floor. He adds great rebounding, and if he gets his ball handling and shooting together, he can be an elite 3.
He'll have around 8 months to work on those things alone, and I see no reason why he wouldn't be better at them. It isn't like he was awful at them, he just wasn't great. He's still a better jump-shooter than MKG, so there's that.

Has anyone ever visited somewhere and afterwards didn't say that it went really well? Can't read anything from statements right after the visit. Some have been saying that he would sign on site, but even if he didn't I can't imagine him not coming here.

Poy works fine offensively as a 3 as long as we have someone at Calipari puts someone at the 4 or 5 that can be an outside threat and Calipari actually allows him to be. Either that or Poy develops a reliable three point shot. I don't believe either of them will happen this year. Patterson and Terrence Jones the only legitimate bigs Calipari has ever let go outside with any consistency. And no I don't count Wiltjer as a true big in his time at UK because he basically never went inside.

Poy works fine offensively as a 3 as long as we have someone at Calipari puts someone at the 4 or 5 that can be an outside threat and Calipari actually allows him to be. Either that or Poy develops a reliable three point shot. I don't believe either of them will happen this year. Patterson and Terrence Jones the only legitimate bigs Calipari has ever let go outside with any consistency. And no I don't count Wiltjer as a true big in his time at UK because he basically never went inside.

And we have Skal, who is comfortable from behind the 3 point line in college, so we're good then.

And we have Skal, who is comfortable from behind the 3 point line in college, so we're good then.
Anthony Davis and Karl Towns sure looked comfortable from outside before they got to UK too. Them playing out there consistently never materialized. And both you and I have no idea i Skal will be comfortable enough from out there against quality college teams for him to play much outside. That's why I said Cal has to ALLOW it. If Cal won't let him play outside it won't matter how comfortable he is from there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT