ADVERTISEMENT

Mulder's Visit

If I am not mistaken, I believe Dodson average right around 7 per game for us off the bench, I would expect this guys production to be right on par with that, That would be very solid coming off the bench, to go along with Mathews getting us hopefully around 8 per game. Unlike a lot of people on this board, I hope we start Alex at the 3 spot, along with Lee, Skal, Ulis, and Briscoe. That would be the most experienced line-up that Cal has ever put on the floor at Kentucky.

Other than this year with Andrew, Aaron, Alex, KAT, and Willie.

Reactions: joester5612
Anthony Davis and Karl Towns sure looked comfortable from outside before they got to UK too. Them playing out there consistently never materialized. And both you and I have no idea i Skal will be comfortable enough from out there against quality college teams for him to play much outside. That's why I said Cal has to ALLOW it. If Cal won't let him play outside it won't matter how comfortable he is from there.

Players always look more comfortable from the outside in youtube videos.

I heard today at the EYBL stop that he arrived last night but started his visit this morning. Also that Alex Poythress is his host.

You've at least said this 10 times that I've seen, but that didn't stop Cal last year. The thing is, if Poy weren't hurt, he would have played the 3 in the Final Four, and we likely would have won with him there. He's stronger, faster, and more athletic than most three men, who are typically the some of the better athletes on the floor. He adds great rebounding, and if he gets his ball handling and shooting together, he can be an elite 3.
He'll have around 8 months to work on those things alone, and I see no reason why he wouldn't be better at them. It isn't like he was awful at them, he just wasn't great. He's still a better jump-shooter than MKG, so there's that.

I've only said it one time.

Anthony Davis and Karl Towns sure looked comfortable from outside before they got to UK too. Them playing out there consistently never materialized. And both you and I have no idea i Skal will be comfortable enough from out there against quality college teams for him to play much outside. That's why I said Cal has to ALLOW it. If Cal won't let him play outside it won't matter how comfortable he is from there.

Or was it just that Cal made them play a different way? Towns hit plenty of the mid-range shots that he took, but he didn't many. Davis hit plenty of mid range jumpers, but he didn't take many. Skal has been called the best face-up player in the class by a good margin. You watch him in the games, he makes those shots pretty often.
Skal is a better shooter than Towns and Davis. All 3 of them are entirely different players. The plus is that Skal has been compared to Davis at this point in their careers, only not as gifted defensively, but quite a bit more gifted offensively. We'll be just fine with Skal's shooting, I assure you.

Have not seen anything posted today about his visit. Any updates?

please end with IMO as i learned my lesson giving my opinion like you are as some will take it to mean you know something which of coarse you don't . There are 2 guys who consistently have good info and both stay on HOB .

I joined HOB back during the Wiggins recruitment and found it wanting. Wasn't worth continuing.

I joined HOB back during the Wiggins recruitment and found it wanting. Wasn't worth continuing.
Wiggins had everybody fooled. Except Larry Vaught, he told me at the UK spring game that year KU was a real player. No one believed him.

Since thAt recruitment people who have info don't share like they used to. No just on hob, but on many sites I visit. Not to mention this staff is very tight lipped.

Matt reported in KSR's recruiting update tonight that Mulder is still on the visit and will leave tomorrow. He said that he'll be surprised if UK doesn't have a commitment from him within the next 48 hours.
Thanks Brando.

Or was it just that Cal made them play a different way? Towns hit plenty of the mid-range shots that he took, but he didn't many. Davis hit plenty of mid range jumpers, but he didn't take many. Skal has been called the best face-up player in the class by a good margin. You watch him in the games, he makes those shots pretty often.
Skal is a better shooter than Towns and Davis. All 3 of them are entirely different players. The plus is that Skal has been compared to Davis at this point in their careers, only not as gifted defensively, but quite a bit more gifted offensively. We'll be just fine with Skal's shooting, I assure you.
What do you people not get? Sure I am confident he can be serviceable from out there, but THAT'S NOT THE POINT. Calipari has to put him outside for him to make an impact there, and as we know he isn't overly wiling to do that sometimes with ones that are capable from out there - see Towns and Davis.

Mulder at 6'5 was a top 10 talent in Canada and is a great 3 point shooter. He was 16ppg. 6rpg. and shot nearly 50% from the field and shot 46% from 3 point, and 82% ft. If you look at Mulder's avg he was knocking down 3 or 4 threes a game. They were also saying that he was just as good going inside and scoring like Booker did last year. If your shooting 50% fg and 46% from 3 your not missing too many shots from outside and him and Matthews could really help us in that depratment next year. Also, remember POY and in his senior year in High School was scoring over 30ppg and double digit rpg. It would be nice to see POY get his outside shot and 3 point shot back next year. I saw POY play in 2 or 3 games in Senior year of H.S. and he was awesome from the outside and hitting the 3.

This recruiting period has completely sucked. The people trying to spin it constantly make me laugh. We need some serious additional weapons to contend next year. It's really that simple.

This recruiting period has completely sucked. The people trying to spin it constantly make me laugh. We need some serious additional weapons to contend next year. It's really that simple.

I agree we could use help at the 3, and some more scoring. But do you think our roster, assuming we get at least Mulder, is not as good as Butler when they went to back to back title games?

I agree we could use help at the 3, and some more scoring. But do you think our roster, assuming we get at least Mulder, is not as good as Butler when they went to back to back title games?

But was Butler the norm? Certainly not. They were the exception, and probably one of maybe a dozen programs over the last 30 years that cracked the tournament code and made a run that no one expected.

More often than not, you need multiple NBA players, shooting, and elite guard play. UK has two of those variables right now. We need some high level shooters at this point. Ulis is solid, but I have no expectation from Matthews or Briscoe at this point as far as perimeter shooting is concerned. I've seen both of them play live - Matthews in two tournaments this winter, and Briscoe in Chicago.

I think it could work with Mulder and one more guy - provided that guy was Diallo, Brown, or Murray. As you correctly noted, we need some scoring. Right now, I only see four guys remotely capable of consistently scoring in double digits next season. Does that get it done if UK wants to make a run at a Final Four?

But was Butler the norm? Certainly not. They were the exception, and probably one of maybe a dozen programs over the last 30 years that cracked the tournament code and made a run that no one expected.

More often than not, you need multiple NBA players, shooting, and elite guard play. UK has two of those variables right now. We need some high level shooters at this point. Ulis is solid, but I have no expectation from Matthews or Briscoe at this point as far as perimeter shooting is concerned. I've seen both of them play live - Matthews in two tournaments this winter, and Briscoe in Chicago.

I think it could work with Mulder and one more guy - provided that guy was Diallo, Brown, or Murray. As you correctly noted, we need some scoring. Right now, I only see four guys remotely capable of consistently scoring in double digits next season. Does that get it done if UK wants to make a run at a Final Four?

Im not so sure that back to back title game appearances is a fluke if that's what your'e suggesting when it comes to Butler. I'm with you on the shooting and elite guard play, I think you can add great coaching into you're variable mix as well since you almost always see the coaching cream rise to the top come late March.

Ok, if that's the case, and we don't get Brown or Ingram, then I guess we go with a 3 guard lineup. Hope we get Murray at least.

That's exactly what I would do, and I bet that's what Cal sells Murray on.

Ulis, Briscoe and Murray getting the majority of the minutes, with Matthews, Mulder and Hawkins/Willis getting some clean up duty or when foul trouble arises.

Reactions: Brando Mac

Ulis, Briscoe and Murray getting the majority of the minutes, with Matthews, Mulder and Hawkins/Willis getting some clean up duty or when foul trouble arises.

I wouldn't be mad at a lineup of Ulis, Briscoe, Murray, Skal and Poythress. We'd have a pretty light bench though, at least for the frontcourt. I gotta think if we don't get Diallo or Maker (looking very unlikely), then he's gotta go after some transfers or JUCO guys. Having Lee as our only big reserve is too risky.

Reactions: bigc45157
You've at least said this 10 times that I've seen, but that didn't stop Cal last year. The thing is, if Poy weren't hurt, he would have played the 3 in the Final Four, and we likely would have won with him there. He's stronger, faster, and more athletic than most three men, who are typically the some of the better athletes on the floor. He adds great rebounding, and if he gets his ball handling and shooting together, he can be an elite 3.
He'll have around 8 months to work on those things alone, and I see no reason why he wouldn't be better at them. It isn't like he was awful at them, he just wasn't great. He's still a better jump-shooter than MKG, so there's that.

I think there is no doubt we win the championship with Alex and nobody will convince me otherwise. The day he went down, I said I hope there doesn't come a time when we desperately need Alex and that was the day we played Wiscy. If we have Alex at the 3 spot, we win that game AND beat Duke on Monday. His rebounding and defense against Dekker and Winslow would have been the key to winning the title IMO. People keep saying that he is not a 3 and maybe he isn't the prototypical SF that we are used to but he has almost changed my perception of a SF and I hope he changes it even further next year. For everyone who says that he is not a 3, then why was he the missing piece that we needed at the 3 spot to win the championship? I'm not saying he is only a 3 because its obvious he is not but he can definitely play that position and bring a lot to the game from that spot. I'm eager to watch him develope even more next year.

I agree, that's the pitch. The Suns ran the trips some with Bledsoe, Dragic, and Thomas and it was pretty productive. Also, seemed some of our best offense this year was when Tyler and Andrew were on the court together with Booker or Aaron.

Im not so sure that back to back title game appearances is a fluke if that's what your'e suggesting when it comes to Butler. I'm with you on the shooting and elite guard play, I think you can add great coaching into you're variable mix as well since you almost always see the coaching cream rise to the top come late March.

I'm not suggesting Butler was a fluke. I'm saying mid major teams like Butler making through the tournament gantlet is the exception, not the norm.

While I will agree that Alex is not a typical 3, If you get nobody else, or if you get Diallo and none of the SF we are looking at, Alex will probably play the 3, especially if you get Diallo. It will be about getting the best players on the floor, and that is most likely what Cal will do. I think Cal is looking to get 2 more, and I think ideally he would like to get Murray and either Ingram or Brown. If he pulls that off, Alex plays the 4 exclusively. However, if the 2 he signs includes Diallo, Alex will play the 3 in order to get Diallo, Alex, Skal on the floor at the same time. Alex can play the 3, provided you get outside scoring from somewhere else, like with Murray at the 2. MKG didn't provide outside scoring, and he was great. Alex doesn't handle it as well as MKG, but it is well enough to play there. Look, we will be better off if we can play Alex at the 4, but unless we get 1-2 more wings, it isn't going to happen, and we will be OK.

While I will agree that Alex is not a typical 3, If you get nobody else, or if you get Diallo and none of the SF we are looking at, Alex will probably play the 3, especially if you get Diallo. It will be about getting the best players on the floor, and that is most likely what Cal will do. I think Cal is looking to get 2 more, and I think ideally he would like to get Murray and either Ingram or Brown. If he pulls that off, Alex plays the 4 exclusively. However, if the 2 he signs includes Diallo, Alex will play the 3 in order to get Diallo, Alex, Skal on the floor at the same time. Alex can play the 3, provided you get outside scoring from somewhere else, like with Murray at the 2. MKG didn't provide outside scoring, and he was great. Alex doesn't handle it as well as MKG, but it is well enough to play there. Look, we will be better off if we can play Alex at the 4, but unless we get 1-2 more wings, it isn't going to happen, and we will be OK.
If Alex is better than Diallo, he will see the floor. There is no way I would take Briscoe off the floor for AP. If Cal lands Murray, Brown, and / or Ingram, AP is not playing the 3 either. AP has got to man up and out play Diallo. I don't know if AP can play the 3 in the nba (perimeter skills are not there)?? stretch 4 maybe?? GBB

I wouldn't be mad at a lineup of Ulis, Briscoe, Murray, Skal and Poythress. We'd have a pretty light bench though, at least for the frontcourt. I gotta think if we don't get Diallo or Maker (looking very unlikely), then he's gotta go after some transfers or JUCO guys. Having Lee as our only big reserve is too risky.

Willis would also get minutes as a stretch 4, but we need another serviceable player at the 5.

I think there is no doubt we win the championship with Alex and nobody will convince me otherwise. The day he went down, I said I hope there doesn't come a time when we desperately need Alex and that was the day we played Wiscy. If we have Alex at the 3 spot, we win that game AND beat Duke on Monday. His rebounding and defense against Dekker and Winslow would have been the key to winning the title IMO. People keep saying that he is not a 3 and maybe he isn't the prototypical SF that we are used to but he has almost changed my perception of a SF and I hope he changes it even further next year. For everyone who says that he is not a 3, then why was he the missing piece that we needed at the 3 spot to win the championship? I'm not saying he is only a 3 because its obvious he is not but he can definitely play that position and bring a lot to the game from that spot. I'm eager to watch him develope even more next year.

This is how I pretty much feel about it. We needed somebody that could overpower and out-athlete Dekker while playing tight perimeter defense, and that would have been Poythress.

AP's shot is not THAT bad. His handles tho,,,,,, Terrible. He needs / will play the 4. Cal has said as such. He had to play AP at the 3. He was not getting KAT, WCS, or even Lyles minutes inside. Too much of a log jam inside last year, the exact opposite this year. He moves back in to his more comfortable row of the 4. Cal tried to get his bigs too much hype and did not exactly play to the teams strengths at times (Ulis and Booker outside). I know it is a broken record, but sometimes "players first" and their NBA aspirations gets in the way. We will have more of "THE NORM" team next year, which is / will be a good thing. Platoon ?? Uh, no.

Wiggins had everybody fooled. Except Larry Vaught, he told me at the UK spring game that year KU was a real player. No one believed him.

Since thAt recruitment people who have info don't share like they used to. No just on hob, but on many sites I visit. Not to mention this staff is very tight lipped.
Very true those like myself who have no inside contacts and live on the other end of the state from Lexington really miss those posters that were in the know when I first came on here in 2007. Paul Schmidt used to share info regularly and he does still occasionally on HOB but to much, Running Ramel used to share lts od gems and was right a great deal of the time... brianpoe sharing some good insight now but the wolves have drove most of them into caves....they don't cast their pearls before the swine anymore and I am sorry they don't but understand why.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT