ADVERTISEMENT

MSM and their way with words

BankerCat12

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2012
Not politically driven.....

I have always watched Lester and NBC News...always recorded and when I can that evening, go back and watch the opening monologue to see if there are any topics I was to see. The way they describe their weather stories is incredible. The fear factor they use I guess keeps more people watching. For example:

Until recently, I have never heard the term atmospheric river. I hear it all the time now when a storm slams the west coast bringing large amounts of rain/snow. It used to be called large storms.

Two days ago they called California a Climatic War Zone. Yes, their weather is different from other states due to the different land elevations but this is a little extreme.

Bomb Cyclone has been around for a few years but before this was just called a snow burst.

Miguel Almeghar (?) is the worst with the stories he covers. Completely over the top in his descriptions and some of the places he does his reporting and zooms away is almost SNL like.

I am guessing other stations are like this but I really only watch Lester to liking Datelines.

Thats it.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
I hate when the MSM starts using a word that was first coined in 1994 by meteorologists.

How dare they scare us common folk!

• Wow
Reactions: uderricky
I hate when the MSM starts using a word that was first coined in 1994 by meteorologists.

How dare they scare us common folk!
He wasn’t talking about when it was coined. And he’s right, it’s just now being used because it sounds scary.

Not politically driven.....

I have always watched Lester and NBC News...always recorded and when I can that evening, go back and watch the opening monologue to see if there are any topics I was to see. The way they describe their weather stories is incredible. The fear factor they use I guess keeps more people watching. For example:

Until recently, I have never heard the term atmospheric river. I hear it all the time now when a storm slams the west coast bringing large amounts of rain/snow. It used to be called large storms.

Two days ago they called California a Climatic War Zone. Yes, their weather is different from other states due to the different land elevations but this is a little extreme.

Bomb Cyclone has been around for a few years but before this was just called a snow burst.

Miguel Almeghar (?) is the worst with the stories he covers. Completely over the top in his descriptions and some of the places he does his reporting and zooms away is almost SNL like.

I am guessing other stations are like this but I really only watch Lester to liking Datelines.

Thats it.
American media has become a sensationalism nightmare. It’s driving the country off a cliff. No one reporte truth it’s all hyperbolized representation of truths. Sometimes just outward lies. If they make the weather sound like an invader Americans will be more amenable to giving up freedoms.

There's also a bit of job security/creation a foot, I'm sure. Every one tries to make their work look more important than it might be. And make themselves look more necessary than they really are. Weathermen, and their studio coworkers, are no exception. New vocabulary, embellishing stories, etc..

I am just using weather as an example. A couple days ago they had a story "the worst allergy season in decades." Impossible to know this as the "season" is not over and not enough time/data to compare to years past. Its just always over dramatic and I know this is what they are wanting. Everything is always the worst in years/decades with no facts given.

If anyone has the Wave3 app, they are known for over dramatic stories and make it sounds like its local. Typically, it's not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT