ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou Fake Punt

FtWorthCat

Senior
Aug 21, 2001
Ft. Worth, TX
It's really weird how one play can completely turn around a game and a season. UK was up 14-0 and blowing them off the field, until Mizzou hit on the fake punt. Mizzou completely dominated UK the rest of the game, and they've been solid ever since. Momentum/confidence is a mysterious thing in football, and in life.

It's really weird how one play can completely turn around a game and a season. UK was up 14-0 and blowing them off the field, until Mizzou hit on the fake punt. Mizzou completely dominated UK the rest of the game, and they've been solid ever since. Momentum/confidence is a mysterious thing in football, and in life.
Also that was pass interference on the offense on that play too.

Kinda reminds me of that Tubby team in 2003. Playing bad at Vandy but come out at halftime playing defense like wild men. Then just kept playing great defense the rest of the season. They were the hottest team in the country to end the season (but then Dwayne Wade plus Keith Brogan’s ankle injury knocked them out of the tourney).

Mojo can be a powerful, fickle thing. On the flip side so can staying in a rut.

Last edited:
I don't buy the narrative that that play changed anyone's season. It was one of a handful of plays that changed the outcome of that game for sure. Definitely swung the momentum for a bit. Leary's miss of a wide open Brown was just as impactful. But even with both of those plays, we still took the lead into the 4th quarter.

Mizzou didn't dominate us after that either. It was a weird game with several weird plays, all of which happened to go in their favor. It was determined largely by the hidden yards. We actually had a higher success rate in the game.

Also, Mizzou was good before then. And our worst outing was the game before that.

Also, we looked pretty solid against UT except for the run defense. I don't think Mizzou's fake punt had anything to do with our run defense against UT.

Also, after UT, we then dominated and got our first road SEC West win under Stoops.

So, no, I don't agree that the Mizzou fake punt changed our season or theirs.

Last edited:
Reactions: YaketySax
Our HC was a deer lost in the headlight the rest of that game.

Mizzou is a better team then a lot of people credit them with. They were driving for the winning score against Georgia late when they turned the ball back over to the Dawgs.

But yea that fake punt seemed to knock all the wind out of their sails. They seemed like their were playing "afraid to lose" after that which is a sure fire formula for losing.

Very true

I don't buy the narrative that that play changed anyone's season. It was one of a handful of plays that changed the outcome of that game for sure. Definitely swung the momentum for a bit. Leary's miss of a wide open Brown was just as impactful. But even with both of those plays, we still took the lead into the 4th quarter.

Mizzou didn't dominate us after that either. It was a weird game with several weird plays, all of which happened to go in their favor. It was determined largely by the hidden yards. We actually had a higher success rate in the game.

Also, Mizzou was good before then. And our worst outing was the game before that.

Also, we looked pretty solid against UT except for the run defense. I don't think Mizzou's fake punt had anything to do with our run defense against UT.

Also, after UT, we then dominated and got our first road SEC West win under Stoops.

So, no, I don't agree that the Mizzou fake punt changed our season or theirs.
The win against State was fools gold. They are not very good and without Rogers they have little offense.

Reactions: ala_kat2
The sad thing was this fact. The entire stadium went quite after that fake punt. People started going to get snacks, quit cheering loudly and everyone who sat around me was saying fake punt before it happened. That one play DID change that game. Go back and review the crowds reactions before and after that play in the game. The crowd never was into it again that game - it was strange - but it was the game changer! Everyone, I mean everyone, went down emotionally. That is an important factor - when the crowd is into it - UK has as good of a home field advantage as anyone - but when it isn't rocking - its a much easier game for the opponents. That punt play had no business working - and everyone knew it - its that simple! And YES it has and did affect our season - we win that game and tomorrow's game would have been the National TV game of the week! The Tennessee loss would not have happened as well. In game coaching decisions ARE a big deal. The great coaches constantly make good decisions. That is really the real difference between many coaches being good or great.

Go Big Blue!

Go Big Blue!

The win against State was fools gold. They are not very good and without Rogers they have little offense.
They might suck, but we handled them as we should have. Covered the spread by three scores, and sat on the clock for an entire half. That's a Mark Stoops blowout, brother.

I agree with you — that fake stunned the team as badly as it stunned the fans .. it was a great call , very very risky — I think we blow them out and go into the bye week ranked near 15 at 6-1 with a totally different mindset against Tn .
And I have the view ( many disagree ) that the illegal procedure call and the fumble that followed totally changed the course of the entire year last season at Ole Miss . We win that game , we are ranked top ten and again. IMO Will L never sets out the next game against SC and we roll them — the course of the season changes . Just my personal opinion

Reactions: sluggercatfan
The sad thing was this fact. The entire stadium went quite after that fake punt. People started going to get snacks, quit cheering loudly and everyone who sat around me was saying fake punt before it happened. That one play DID change that game. Go back and review the crowds reactions before and after that play in the game. The crowd never was into it again that game - it was strange - but it was the game changer! Everyone, I mean everyone, went down emotionally. That is an important factor - when the crowd is into it - UK has as good of a home field advantage as anyone - but when it isn't rocking - its a much easier game for the opponents. That punt play had no business working - and everyone knew it - its that simple! And YES it has and did affect our season - we win that game and tomorrow's game would have been the National TV game of the week! The Tennessee loss would not have happened as well. In game coaching decisions ARE a big deal. The great coaches constantly make good decisions. That is really the real difference between many coaches being good or great.

Go Big Blue!

Go Big Blue!
Excellent spot on post. I was standing yelling fake punt. Horrible defense alignment. Still took an exellent pass, poor coverage along with what may have been offensive PI.

Reactions: ManitouDan
^^ and Stopps said he knew it was coming - we had our regular D on the field .. 2 questions - 1) where was the safety ? 2) what in the world didn’t Stoops go running down the sideline and call TO

Reactions: sluggercatfan
They might suck, but we handled them as we should have. Covered the spread by three scores, and sat on the clock for an entire half. That's a Mark Stoops blowout, brother.
Unfortunately about Stoops. His offensive philosophy is horrible and terrible for the advancement of this program

^^ and Stopps said he knew it was coming - we had our regular D on the field .. 2 questions - 1) where was the safety ? 2) what in the world didn’t Stoops go running down the sideline and call TO
CB's and Safety were all 5 yards off the LOS.... Honestly if you can't cover a WR with the punter throwing a pass, something is wrong. Phillips has been out of position/missing tackles/not paying attn alot this season.

Some think you can leave TO's in your will.

• Haha
Reactions: NostraDanis
Also, Mizzou was good before then

Correct. Anyone reading my posts knows I posted this repeatedly even before our game.

CB's and Safety were all 5 yards off the LOS.... Honestly if you can't cover a WR with the punter throwing a pass, something is wrong. Phillips has been out of position/missing tackles/not paying attn alot this season.

True and the coverage could've been better but..... that was more unlikely than completing a hail Mary imo. A punter throwing a perfect pass 40-50 yards (when accounting from one has to another) is just something that doesn't happen. Anything less than a perfect pass and it was knocked down and we blow them out.

I don't think it turned our season around but it definitely turned that game around. We imploded and the rest was history on that day. Extremely disappointed to lose the game how we did

You're right, the D was on the field. The whole coaching staff was frantically jumping, waving trying to get people set. The question becomes....why didn't UK call a TO, it would've likely killed the whole play. Lost opportunity.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Well said. We never tried to score in the 4th. Everything was run clock and get out. That is Stoops.

We really needed a split with Mizzu and Tenn to have the season I was hoping for. If we could somehow beat Bama we would be back on track.

You're right, the D was on the field. The whole coaching staff was frantically jumping, waving trying to get people set. The question becomes....why didn't UK call a TO, it would've likely killed the whole play. Lost opportunity.
Hindsight is 20/20. Dru had decent position to make a play on the ball but was interfered with and then got torched. Reasonable to assume one of our starting CBs had that coverage down. I agree I would've liked to have seen a TO, but I can understand why we didn't take one.

Hindsight is 20/20. Dru had decent position to make a play on the ball but was interfered with and then got torched. Reasonable to assume one of our starting CBs had that coverage down. I agree I would've liked to have seen a TO, but I can understand why we didn't take one.
Agree with everything you said but a simple TO would've ended all the confusion....maybe.

Reactions: JPFisher
That’s the overarching story of Kentucky football. Can’t get out of its own way over the last 100+ years. If it’s bad, it will happen.

Do you ever do anything but whine and crap all over the the team you supposedly support? Is it Stoops derangement syndrome? Would you rather UK win out and keep Stoops or lose out and get a new coach?

We already called safe anyway. Calling a TO really wouldn't have been any different. The staff had the players in maximum position, they just made the better play. Unbelievable pass from the punter then the uncalled obvious OPI.

All that said, we still go on to win handily them if we just didn't implode after. This team has very low resilience, especially when you consider that's usually a trait of a stoops' team. One play shouldn't take a game from you dominating to you getting dominated

We already called safe anyway. Calling a TO really wouldn't have been any different. The staff had the players in maximum position, they just made the better play. Unbelievable pass from the punter then the uncalled obvious OPI.

All that said, we still go on to win handily them if we just didn't implode after. This team has very low resilience, especially when you consider that's usually a trait of a stoops' team. One play shouldn't take a game from you dominating to you getting dominated
One play shouldn't do it, but I think it's death by a thousand cuts this and last year as well as an identity issue. Dropped passes, missed throws, near sacks, negative plays turning into first downs, and a lackluster (not awful) secondary that gives opposing QBs an easy out instead of forcing the QB to hold the ball longer for a sack or hurry.

The combination of elite secondary and amazing pass rush in 2018 was incredible. Arguably Stoops' most resilient team.

I had the question way back in 2018 of how we'd respond as a team when Stoops couldn't pull the underdog card anymore. We're becoming a bigger fish, and it seems like he doesn't know how to motivate a team that EXPECTS to be good and DOES have some national respect.

It's like he used to tell the guys, "hey, they expect you to be down. Prove em wrong." Moving on from that, can we handle success? Can Stoops motivate using something besides the underdog card, 22 Strong, Schlarman Strong, etc? Thankfully, there isn't always going to be a huge team tragedy or two and we're outgrowing the doormat persona, but that leads us to ask "who are we?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT