ADVERTISEMENT

Missing sub touring the Titanic

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
I feel terrible for the missing five persons on that sub, but tbh, my first thought was that there is no amount of money in the world that would get me to set foot on a 20 foot five man sub going 13,000 feet to the bottom of the ocean, much less pay $100K for the ride. I would go out of my mind in about ten minutes. On that note, my former brother in law served on nuclear sub, and told me that you had to pass a psychological exam to serve on a sub, due to being underwater for 60 days, in close quarters with a bunch of guys who would all get on each others' nerves 24/7. Hard pass for me.

The fact alone that it’s sealed from the outside and even if they’re at the surface they’ll be able to see freedom and oxygen but impossible to get to it and will suffocate in 3 days if not found sounds horrendous.

Could only imagine watching those around you suffocate knowing it’s coming for you in the next minutes or so. Wow, what a terrible way to die.

Was thinking of posting a thread about this as well.

Watched a video about some facts of the sub this morning. Thing is piloted with a 30 dollar off brand Playstation controller. Even if the sub is at the surface, they can't get out as the thing is closed with 17 bolts that are screwed in from the outside. Will take a crew to release them. So if they aren't found before the o2 runs out, they will are dead.

Also, it was 250k for the trip down.

Reactions: GeraldV and chroix
I don’t think oxygen supplies are a concern. 2.4 miles deep is a ridiculous amount of pressure. Any sort of structural failure and you’re done in the blink of an eye.
They are a concern as there are 6 different ways for them to surface, so they’re hoping they’re at the surface just without power hence why they can’t find the GPS. Even if they have surfaced the odds of finding something that small that could drifted a hundred miles away already is damn near impossible.

If they aren’t found at the surface in time, pray they were crushed instantly underwater because slowly suffocating while watching others do the same would be horrific.

They are a concern as there are 6 different ways for them to surface, so they’re hoping they’re at the surface just without power hence why they can’t find the GPS. Even if they have surfaced the odds of finding something that small that could drifted a hundred miles away already is damn near impossible.

If they aren’t found at the surface in time, pray they were crushed instantly underwater because slowly suffocating while watching others do the same would be horrific.

My money is on crushed instantly but damn that floating on the surface while suffocating scenario is horrifying.

Wouldn't the sub have an emergency location beacon (EPIRB), if it is on the surface?

I fear it is underwater and trapped. Concentrate search there with robotic ROVs. Anything could have happened. Even a short-circuit and small fire in that cramped space could release toxic fumes incapacitating crew.

Going down 13k feet underwater in a little tube. What could possibly go wrong? Hope they are okay but doesn't look good.

Interesting twitter thread here. Viewport window at the front was only rated for 1300m. Not even half of the 4000m the company intended to take passengers to.

Another interesting post. The CEO(who has been confirmed to be on the sub) made remarks about how a law passed in 1933 needlessly prioritized passenger safety over commercial innovation.

With that info about the viewport. Probably likely that part of the Sub failed which would have been a quick death.

Passengers were already rich. They’re families are going to get a payout. That’s for sure.

The fact alone that it’s sealed from the outside and even if they’re at the surface they’ll be able to see freedom and oxygen but impossible to get to it and will suffocate in 3 days if not found sounds horrendous.

Could only imagine watching those around you suffocate knowing it’s coming for you in the next minutes or so. Wow, what a terrible way to die.
It sounds like an O Henry story. (you listening Alannis?)

Wonder how much weight that will hold since they knew the viewport was not rated for such depths and ignored it. Even fired an employee after he filed a safety complaint.

I mean JFC. All this to make money? They couldn’t figure out a better way to scam rich morons out of money? And the CEO of the company was on it? Just crazy.

Reactions: DanCat17 and chroix
When the company said that communication was “lost” after one hour and forty-five minutes of a two and one-half hour descent, I felt that the sub was a goner. It’s hard to believe that four rich people and the pilot went to their deaths in that jerry-rigged contraption.

I’m sure this marks the end of Oceangate Expeditions.

5800 psi at Titanics depth. I'm sure the sub suffered an implosion. The only good part of that is death is immediate.

I'm also sure this will end deep dive submersibles being used commercially for a long time.

5800 psi at Titanics depth. I'm sure the sub suffered an implosion. The only good part of that is death is immediate.

I'm also sure this will end deep dive submersibles being used commercially for a long time.
Don't think so. Too much money to be made taking those risks.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
The operative word in your post is risks. I don’t usually think negatively but in this case I have to think that the risk became reality.
Yes. But these little guys have been down there before & another will go back down in not too distant future. Less than 3 years imo. They're in international waters, so who's going to stop them?

Reminds me a little of the Byford Dolphin incident I stumbled across recently. Saturation Divers who basically have to spend an entire month living in pressurized chambers so they don't decompress from working hundreds of feet under water

The air pressure inside the Byford Dolphin living chambers instantly went from 9 atmospheres — the pressure experienced while hundreds of feet below the water — to 1 atmosphere, the normal air pressure at the surface. The explosive rush of air out of the chamber sent the heavy diving bell flying, killing Crammond and critically injuring his fellow tender, Martin Saunders.

The fate of the four saturation divers inside was far worse. According to autopsy reports, three of the men inside the chamber — Edwin Arthur Coward, Roy P. Lucas and Bjørn Giæver Bergersen — were essentially "boiled" from the inside when the nitrogen in their blood violently erupted into gas bubbles. They died instantly.

The fourth diver, Truls Hellevik, suffered the grizzliest death. Hellevik was standing in front of the partially opened door to the living chamber when the pressure was released. His body was sucked out through an opening so narrow that it tore him open and ejected his internal organs onto the deck

Yes. But these little guys have been down there before & another will go back down in not too distant future. Less than 3 years imo. They're in international waters, so who's going to stop them?
Yes, they have and yes they’ll continue. However, the risk of a malfunction will always be there. It may eventually be as small as the risk of flying but I just don’t think it’s there yet.

Oh and forgot this part, which is from a link embedded in the story I attached:

Meanwhile, the 4th diver was severely mutilated and dismembered after the rushing air caused by the decompression forced his entire body through a partially opened doorway only 24 inches long, severing various body parts and even launching vital organs as far as 30 feet away. The explosion was so strong and so sudden that preliminary investigators noted that the 4th diver was mangled so precisely that they described some of the organs as being without damage, “as if dissected out of the body.”

I can’t believe a billionaire explorer didn’t do better due diligence. Can’t imagine having those kind of resources and not really checking this thing out closely.

Ya kinda shocking. A Twitter “reporter” found that after a day you’d think a billionaire that has probably been planning this for months would’ve had someone dig deeper into it.

Not sure this story is legit as I haven't seen it confirmed elsewhere:

"A CANADIAN AIRCRAFT searching for the missing Titan submersible, which failed to return Sunday from an expedition to the wreckage of the Titanic, detected “banging” in 30-minute intervals coming from the area the divers disappeared, according to internal e-mail updates sent to Department of Homeland Security leadership and obtained by Rolling Stone."

https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...e-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

• Wow
Reactions: AustinTXCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT