ADVERTISEMENT

Mid-field logo annouced

Dear Nike, have a few interns clean one of these up a little bit and send me a check to use it. K thx bye.

test.jpg

test2.jpg

Sorry they look terrible, quickly did them using Sumo paint. lol

Reactions: robo222
So why do we have to share a generic logo with freaking Houston and Buffalo?

Do you see any of the following Nike schools whose branding mark is identical to some low-major?
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
Clemson
Duke
Florida
FSU
Georgia
LSU
Michigan State
Missouri
North Carolina
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Penn State
Stanford
Syracuse
Texas
UConn

I'll save you the time and answer "no."

^ But all 3 had their logos long before Nike was ever even thought of.
And most of those you list have changed their logo's very little since Nike's existance. UK has been changing since long before Nike came on the scene.

And when you change it again and then some "low-major" copies it...do you change again because they did so?
How is UH or UB any more like UK than T is like K? UT uses the power T...some folks want the power K. People don't like the checkerboard but I don't see any checkerboard with Houston or Buffalo.

As I said earlier...you can NEVER make everyone happy unless you win every game...but then we won't have won by enough or somebody should have played more/less. I think that was proven this past basketball season when people bitched because insert name here didn't play enough/played too much.

Yes because the small % of fans on social media speak for the entire fan base. Sure do a throw back game and wear it once every couple of years.

This year UK was voted the best Uni's in college FB..was it the power K?? no it was the sweet ass chrome/black/blue Uni's we wore all of which had the interlocking UK. One of the reasons I hate going to the field turf is it limits options. Doing a old school Power K game with a checkered endzone and a 20yd to 20yd sized outline of the state on the field on Thursday night with all of college FB watching would be sweet.

With all the different uni's we wore last season MB is branding UK FB....

If you put the gear for UK, UB, and UH on a table and asked everyday people/fans which was which....90% will get UK right....less than 50% will get UH or UB.

ha ha ha

The problem is that our logo is almost identical to Houston and Buffalo. I just don't understand why UK is so averse to going whole hog on anything. If you want to "move forward" then go all the way and get something truly cutting edge; don't just change the outline color and marginally change the letter placement.

The reason they said they wouldn't do the Block K is because they don't want to go backwards. That's fine, but if you are eschewing a very popular logo because it is "old", don't role out a logo that's 95% identical to the same one we've had for 20 years and call it progress.
I've got your answer in 3 words... Mitchell Milhouse Barnhardt

Well that will look hideous. It's like the people in charge said "I have an idea, lets take our cool newly remodeled stadium and put the ugliest logo ever in the center of it. I'm sure the fans will love it!" The people who run our athletic department are so out of touch, it's not even funny anymore.

Agree 100%. The new logo is terrible and looks like it was copied from Houston and Buffalo.
Pass on all 3 of those!! The FB ones are tolerable....but the basketball on looks pathetic...

But hey while we are at it since everyone wants to mimic UT with the power T....why done we mimic UL and use the Old English lettering as well!!

Don't you people realize the university now goes by UK more than Kentucky. We Are UK...not We are K... or We are Kentucky.....its We are UK!!!

10+ year season ticket holder been attending UK FOOTBALL games for 30 years....I hate the Power K and never want it back....We are not UT...we don't need to copy the power T.

So maybe they are not out of touch with the "fanbase". The interlocking UK is the best look we have. It crisp, clean, classic and identifiable to UK.
Look again. Isn't the checkerboard a UT thing?

The checkerboard has been around for a few years with UK. It started in 2008 when Nike brought back the "tradition of horse racing in this state with the Secretariat pattern"

Since then, the football team has it embedded in the jersey as do the women's basketball team as does the men's basketball team. It may be used in other sports as well.

Reactions: mwatson61
The checkerboard has been around for a few years with UK. It started in 2008 when Nike brought back the "tradition of horse racing in this state with the Secretariat pattern"

Which makes it just 44 years after Tennessee. It's a Tennessee thing we co-opted anyways because Nike wanted us to, the same reason we used to wear terrible basketball jerseys on the football field, Nike thought it would be funny I assume.

Which makes it just 44 years after Tennessee. It's a Tennessee thing we co-opted anyways because Nike wanted us to, the same reason we used to wear terrible basketball jerseys on the football field, Nike thought it would be funny I assume.

Not sure if serious.

Had to hop back on this thread and see how y'all can possibly still be talking about this. My goodness, it's not that big of deal. I showed it around the office and nobody even noticed a difference in the logos at first.

Mizzou has diamonds currently, so it would look silly for us to use them just because we had in the past, right? Tennessee has been using the checkerboard since 64. Our checkerboard is reminiscent of Tennessee's, which is famous, not us having a checkerboard pattern we went away from long ago. Checkerboard is a bad look for us and a lazy move from Nike. Once something is synonymous to one school, it looks bad when another school tries to use it. Checkerboard is Tennessee like slashes are Notre Dame. Some others use slashes too, but they look terrible, just like we look terrible with our Houston logo and Tennessee shoulders.

A checkerboard thing is from a checkerboard - like the board on which you play checkers. Now if we used a white and orange checkerboard in our end zones then that would, in fact, be copying tennessee but I can't see how they have the the market cornered on all checkerboard designs. You know, which would exclude a two-toned blue which is used in UK related stuff.

The ut checkerboard just makes me think of dog food.
na3050095.jpg

From a designers stand point I feel like this is weak. If you wanna change the logo change it but don't do dumb stuff like this. Great we are getting major updates to Commonwealth Stadium but other schools are doing massive improvements as well. You can have a smaller stadium and make it awesome but hope they don't go screwing up the field turf and overall look inside. Just feel like the football stuff is way behind the times.

Seriously, this the current bitch? Ranchers branded their steers with a "logo" to distinguish their herd from the others. This is the UK brand....get used to it. The game is about the team and players, not the frigging field. If the new CWS doesn't wow you, stay home. Besides, in a few years Buffalo and Houston will wish they sold enough "branded" gear between the two of them to match what the UK fan base demands in one fall football season.

B&M is the most practiced sport in our country. Everybody wants their mom to kiss their boob-boo and make it feel better.

Never seen a bunch of grown men get so upset over a logo, lol. We have bigger issues to be concerned about.
I'm with ya Brock! I just opened this thread (uniform and logo discussions don't do much for me). I was stunned at the passion in this logo discussion. Hell, I have no idea what the Houston and Buffalo logos look like and I could not care less.

This year I had the opportunity to visit Notre Dame Stadium, one of the most iconic stadiums in college football. It will be undergoing a $400 renovation which will actually integrate 3 new academic building into the exterior facade of the stadium (Touchdown Jesus side will remain open). It will continue to have a solid green field (no mid field logo) with 9 diagonal stripes in each end zone at a 42 degree angle (signifying 1842, the year the University was founded).

Sure some fields look pretty cool (I hate to say it but I love the UT field with the checkerboard EZs). But it's not about the field; it's about what happens on the field.

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT